Three killed, 17 injured as van rams at back of parked bus in Isaan

webfact

Three killed, 17 injured as van rams at back of parked bus

BANGKOK: -- Three people were killed and 17 others injured when a van rammed into the rear of a parked bus on Friendship highway in Nakhon Ratchasima province on Monday.

The three included the driver of the van from Kalasin, Somchai Paiwanao, 42, and a four-year-old boy whose body was thrown out of the van from the impact.

Highway police said the road mishap happened at about 2 am today near Kilometres 72-73 on the inbound traffic lane to Bangkok on the Friendship highway at Tambon Nong Sarai.

The Ubon-Bangkok was parked on the right shoulder of the highway after it broke down.

The driver of the van might not notice the parked bus on the right while overtaking another vehicle and rammed into its back which penetrated into the traffic lane.

The driver and two passengers in the van died and 17 others were injured.

The injured were later taken to Pakchong Nana and Bangkok Pakchong hospitals for treatment.

One injured passenger said they chartered the van to Bangkok to work from Nakhon Phanom.

The van left at 4 pm and during the night he noticed that the van ran like the snake going to the right and to the left all the time indicating the driver might be sleepy.

Highway police said they detained the bus driver for reckless parking on the right shoulder of the highway with the bus rear penetrating into traffic lane, thus causing deaths to others.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-killed-17-injured-as-van-rams-at-back-of-parked-bus

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-16

I just about ran into a pickup today. I was driving down a country road, no houses in this section, no side roads, nice and straight, great visibility, narrow shoulders, but usable. I came upon a pickup going very slow and started to slow down, then it stopped right in the middle of the road for no apparent reason at all, didn't bother to pull over to the side just stopped where he was. Fortunately, I had already started to slow down, and the road was straight and no one was coming from the opposite direction, so I was able to pass him, but why would he stop in the middle of the road for no apparent reason?

This is so common here on the highway. A car, bus or van parks with no warn signals, no lights on and on a blind curve in the road. I really doubt they teach safety procedures here or do the people just don't use common sense.

add to the above,parked in the FAST LANE.

20 people in that van (3 dead, 17 injured).... was it one of the regular style we see zipping about? Think maybe a tad overloaded? Wasn't there to be some strict enforcement announced? Didn't my ex say she was going to pay back some money? Seems only somewhat reasonable response to this madness that doesn't have to be is just go numb..... and callous. If they don't care enough to change things, why should we?

This is so common here on the highway. A car, bus or van parks with no warn signals, no lights on and on a blind curve in the road. I really doubt they teach safety procedures here or do the people just don't use common sense.

Or the driver was overtaking in the left lane which is dead common.

• Like 1

Another waste of life. very sad.

A bus "parked" on the fast lane at 2am in the night.

Recipe for desaster.

Have you ever seen flashlights, breakdown triangles. reflectors in this country?

Very rare if at all!

Its a madhouse.

I never drive in the night overland except for an emergency.

Sporadic unavoidable 16 km home rides from the district town in the dark is just enough for me.

I stare to the dark hoping to see "the unlighted object" before I hit it.

I almost got killed when a speeding pick up truck in the city did a red light and caught my pick up sideways.

It happened at six o' clock in the morning on my way to work. I was unconscious for a few hours, car totally damaged and I had serious injuries at my spine, three broken ribs, various stitches, etc..

It took two companies 16 !! months to fix the car and when I got it back the almost impossible happened.

I took a shortcut to my wife's village, with almost no traffic. On the other lane was a tractor with a trailer attached, as it was rice harvest.

I saw the guy on a Honda CBR 150 driving pretty fast, thought it would be time to hit the brakes, but the guy just didn't see the vehicles on his road. Nothing else within a distance of about 5 km.....

I don't think a very good stuntman could do the same stunt without serious injuries. The guy drove on one ramp of the trailer, the guy and the motorcycle became airborne and the bike was heading towards my windshield.

No time to think, but I did the right thing and hit my brakes, so that the bike only hit my front and the very massive bumper. The guy flew over both vehicles and landed on his freaking feet.

When the cops finally arrived and I had to drive my Pick up to the cops, as all other vehicles had to be there until an agreement could be done. I wanted to shoot somebody, to be honest.

The guy who'd caused the accident then started lying that the tractor had no light on, but it wasn't dark when the accident happened.No way to play witness, so I didn't get involved, as I had nothing to do with the accident.

He really wanted all damages at his bike payed by the owner of the tractor, who's a pretty cool guy. He even offered the guy to split the damage at my Pick up truck with him and then see who's fault it was.

But the guy was a real freak and didn't participate, which meant that all vehicles had to stay at the police station of a little town until all was cleared. My car was sitting for two weeks at the police station, then the tractor owner gave me the 10 K, which was estimated by some Mitsubishi guys.

Sorry for being off topic, feel sorry for all who're involved in this terrible accident and hope that the deceased will rest in piece. And a speedy recovery for the injured ones.

Knowing how good some hospitals here really are, regarding real emergencies, I feel very sorry for those who might suffer a long time.

From that time on when I saw a flying motorcycle, I've changed my way of thinking completely.

Nothing is impossible here. Absolutely nothing. And when I see vans taking over when I'm doing 120/km, driving on the other lane, I just slow down to avoid being involved in something terrible.

Have a safe trip!!!-wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

..."Nothing is impossible here. Absolutely nothing. And when I see vans taking over when I'm doing 120/km, driving on the other lane, I just slow down to avoid being involved in something terrible."

Well said, can apply to almost any situation in Thailand, not just the driving! On a side note, how big was the van(?)... carrying 17 people??? My wife says the buzz word every time she sees something crazy..."Amazing Thailand"

Recipe for desaster.

Have you ever seen flashlights, breakdown triangles. reflectors in this country?

Very rare if at all!

Its a madhouse.

Sporadic unavoidable 16 km home rides from the district town in the dark is just enough for me.

I almost got killed when a speeding pick up truck in the city did a red light and caught my pick up sideways.

It happened at six o' clock in the morning on my way to work. I was unconscious for a few hours, car totally damaged and I had serious injuries at my spine, three broken ribs, various stitches, etc..

It took two companies 16 !! months to fix the car and when I got it back the almost impossible happened.

I took a shortcut to my wife's village, with almost no traffic. On the other lane was a tractor with a trailer attached, as it was rice harvest.

I saw the guy on a Honda CBR 150 driving pretty fast, thought it would be time to hit the brakes, but the guy just didn't see the vehicles on his road. Nothing else within a distance of about 5 km.....

I don't think a very good stuntman could do the same stunt without serious injuries. The guy drove on one ramp of the trailer, the guy and the motorcycle became airborne and the bike was heading towards my windshield.

No time to think, but I did the right thing and hit my brakes, so that the bike only hit my front and the very massive bumper. The guy flew over both vehicles and landed on his freaking feet.

When the cops finally arrived and I had to drive my Pick up to the cops, as all other vehicles had to be there until an agreement could be done. I wanted to shoot somebody, to be honest.

The guy who'd caused the accident then started lying that the tractor had no light on, but it wasn't dark when the accident happened.No way to play witness, so I didn't get involved, as I had nothing to do with the accident.

He really wanted all damages at his bike payed by the owner of the tractor, who's a pretty cool guy. He even offered the guy to split the damage at my Pick up truck with him and then see who's fault it was.

But the guy was a real freak and didn't participate, which meant that all vehicles had to stay at the police station of a little town until all was cleared. My car was sitting for two weeks at the police station, then the tractor owner gave me the 10 K, which was estimated by some Mitsubishi guys.

Sorry for being off topic, feel sorry for all who're involved in this terrible accident and hope that the deceased will rest in piece. And a speedy recovery for the injured ones.

Knowing how good some hospitals here really are, regarding real emergencies, I feel very sorry for those who might suffer a long time.

From that time on when I saw a flying motorcycle, I've changed my way of thinking completely.

Nothing is impossible here. Absolutely nothing. And when I see vans taking over when I'm doing 120/km, driving on the other lane, I just slow down to avoid being involved in something terrible.

I just about ran into a pickup today. I was driving down a country road, no houses in this section, no side roads, nice and straight, great visibility, narrow shoulders, but usable. I came upon a pickup going very slow and started to slow down, then it stopped right in the middle of the road for no apparent reason at all, didn't bother to pull over to the side just stopped where he was. Fortunately, I had already started to slow down, and the road was straight and no one was coming from the opposite direction, so I was able to pass him, but why would he stop in the middle of the road for no apparent reason?

Pissed and fell asleep.coffee1.gif

Recipe for desaster.

Very rare if at all!

Its a madhouse.

Yes, there is a large red triangle in the boot of my car that I brought from England! However, on the one occasion I had cause to use it, due to a flat tyre a Thai driver who had to avoid it became irate, waving his fist and bad mouthing as he drove past!

The road in Thailand is an absolute tragedy, they simply haven't a clue. Time after time I see them charge off without checking, looking or being aware of their surroundings.

And now it's School holidays.

Seen on the back of a motorcyclists jacket last week. "Drive by Faith Not by sight". Just about says it all.

Or the driver was overtaking in the left lane which is dead common.

read the report,THE BUS WAS PARKED ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER[adjacent to the fast lane]

so if the driver overtook on his left he must have been in reversefacepalm.gif

If 20 people were hurt in a single vehicle accident in the UK, including the death of a 4 year old kid, there would be an uproar about it. But here, it happens at least weekly if not daily and nobody cares at all. Zero common sense or awareness.

..."Nothing is impossible here. Absolutely nothing. And when I see vans taking over when I'm doing 120/km, driving on the other lane, I just slow down to avoid being involved in something terrible."

Well said, can apply to almost any situation in Thailand, not just the driving! On a side note, how big was the van(?)... carrying 17 people??? My wife says the buzz word every time she sees something crazy..."Amazing Thailand"

Recipe for desaster.

Very rare if at all!

Its a madhouse.

I just gave one example. This particular van was a Commuter, going from Surin to Sisaket. If I would have been in the van, I'd definitely have told him to stop and let me go out, then report him to his boss.

But I've also seen NCA buses taking over in a ridiculous way. It helps a lot to make some notes, present it to NCA.

But what's really driving me mad is that there're too many people on the road with twenty times fixed tires, no more profile on it, all the motorbikes without lights, many of them only have blown bulbs.

I've really changed my way of driving, but also my way of thinking. It bugs me that I have to think for other drivers.

In my 13 years driving in LOS, I've seen quite a few kids dying on the roads of Isaan.

This should be part of education at schools, with horror photos to make them understand what can/will happen.

There seems to be a coincidence to the educational system. A lot of talk, but nothing's changing.