Getting Frustrated

sin_bkk

I am not even in thailand yet, and I am already getting extremely frustrated.

I am still searching for a house , but how to get in contact with people who refuse to answer emails :-(

How do you ever find an address in thailand . Last week during a visit , I had a meeting in Auytaya ( or Atuthaya , or Ayudhaya or Ayutdhaya or Ayutdaya ) ...yes, i found 5 different names for the same town , I even found 2 different names on the same map . What the f*****.

Never mind , in the end I found the place , had a meeting with the supplier and he promised me to send over a quotation ....so he did , but the quotation was in Thai :o .

The next meeting was even better . Again , I had problem finding the place , High Tech industrial park . In a so called " english map" this place is marked as Ban Wa Industrial area , and on the same map , 2 cm below as Baan Wah industrial area. At the end it turns thats all the same, and again , I managed to find the place .Also I made an appointment with them on the phone ( in english) , the guy who came to the meeting could not speak more english then " hello , my name is Somsak " . Total waste of time .

Last but not least, the number of licenses , certifications , approvals and permits to start up a factory is more than you need to open up a nuclear power plant in NYC .

Will not give up sooo fast ;-) . It is not more frustrating than my project in Czech Republic some years ago ;-) .

I understand that it is a different culture . I have lived in Asia for many years now. But why the hel_l do they have 5 different names for the same town ( and which one is right ??? ) .

The next 5 important things on my list are

1. buy a GPS ( and have it with me as soon as I get in a cab)

2. find a real estate agent who is able to answer emails

3. find a secretary who can speak more than " Hi, my name is ..." in english

4. buy a 5 meter cabinet file all the licenses , permissions and approvals we have so far

5. get a beer and relax

Will not give up sooo fast ;-) . It is not more frustrating than my project in Czech Republic some years ago ;-) .

I understand that it is a different culture . I have lived in Asia for many years now. But why the hel_l do they have 5 different names for the same town ( and which one is right ??? ) .

The next 5 important things on my list are

1. buy a GPS ( and have it with me as soon as I get in a cab)

2. find a real estate agent who is able to answer emails

3. find a secretary who can speak more than " Hi, my name is ..." in english

4. buy a 5 meter cabinet file all the licenses , permissions and approvals we have so far

5. get a beer and relax

Start with #5. :o

I am still searching for a house , but how to get in contact with people who refuse to answer emails :-(

How do you ever find an address in thailand . Last week during a visit , I had a meeting in Auytaya ( or Atuthaya , or Ayudhaya or Ayutdhaya or Ayutdaya ) ...yes, i found 5 different names for the same town , I even found 2 different names on the same map . What the f*****.

Never mind , in the end I found the place , had a meeting with the supplier and he promised me to send over a quotation ....so he did , but the quotation was in Thai :o .

The next meeting was even better . Again , I had problem finding the place , High Tech industrial park . In a so called " english map" this place is marked as Ban Wa Industrial area , and on the same map , 2 cm below as Baan Wah industrial area. At the end it turns thats all the same, and again , I managed to find the place .Also I made an appointment with them on the phone ( in english) , the guy who came to the meeting could not speak more english then " hello , my name is Somsak " . Total waste of time .

Last but not least, the number of licenses , certifications , approvals and permits to start up a factory is more than you need to open up a nuclear power plant in NYC .

Ayutthaya?

Never mind , in the end I found the place , had a meeting with the supplier and he promised me to send over a quotation ....so he did , but the quotation was in Thai :D .

/quote]

You forgot the 'key money' :o

beside that it is really boring I know, but find someone in your country who can tell "hello, my name is Somsak or John" in thai language. Or even in France, Italy, Spain it is difficult to find someone who can speak good english.....

In thailand they speak thai, you should get used to it (I still did not...)

You could have gotten too pricky and people won't cooperate.

Not only Thais would respond that way.

Auytaya ( or Atuthaya , or Ayudhaya or Ayutdhaya or Ayutdaya

Frustrating, isn't it? You will get used to and TBH, the correct spelling is:

อยุธยา (stolen from jdinasia-post above).

The Thais don't really care how it is written in Roman characters.

Ban Wa or Baan Wah? Same story, only the Thai characters count, but obviously two different people tried their best.

I would say, correct is: Bhan Hwa :o but than many would disagree because in fact it is "Ban Waah".

If it helps, you will find this around Asia, Taipei as of 2 years is the worst in my opinion, different spellings on the same signboard. My staff over there have not idea what I am talking about, they look at the characters.

I am not even in thailand yet
, no problem, come here and change your passport because the old one is full with all the stamps, only to see that they use 3 pages to transfer your chops.... :D Edited by Axel

why don´t you come here, relax and have a beer, and go from there.

that´s what I´v always done.

Much simplier, if not all too predictable.

Wonderful, to have some advneture....

SInn_Bkk, get used to a very famous Thai saying "Same Same" In relation to the GPS, what you will probably find is that it is loaded with most of the maps that you already have. This you would want to check before you make what is going to be a very expensive purchase.

mate,

if your losing your lolly over those small things already, you are going to have lots of fun in los.

you bleeding lost the plot already cobber, and obviously done very little research into the very fine land of golden skinned ladies and noodle soup.

cricky's mate,

i'll give you the big tip,

having a whinge to us posters about things like this is like pis--ing into the wind. :D

its just aint going to work is it ?

you got to get your brain matter cranked up and if you are a business man your not showing to much incentive into doing business in los ?

whats so hard about employing a local to show you around the place and help you communicate with our thai friends. :D

you must meet them on there terms and be extremely flexable to even have a hint of success in los.

this is los, not america, the old blighty or even australia my friend. :D

totally different rules over here mate and you must learn real quick or you'll lose all your money, before you can say ( george bush is a dildo. ) :D

sorry mate, but you dont sound like you will cut it here on the business front unless you start to educate yourself in all things thai. :D

any way , chock dee cup to you my friend.

cheers :o

thanks for all the good ( and bad) tips ;-)

This is not the first startup form scratch for me , and everytime there there are different problems. So far I found language ( and the confusing spelling and translation ) is a bigger problem here than it was in Singapore,Chzech republic, or even indonesia .

I am sure I'll find my way around and I will not give up so quickly . Sometimes it is just good to share the frustration. I have some thai help from next month onwards, and so far , everything runs still as planned , more or less.

This is not the first startup form scratch for me , and everytime there there are different problems. So far I found language ( and the confusing spelling and translation ) is a bigger problem here than it was in Singapore,Chzech republic, or even indonesia .

I am sure I'll find my way around and I will not give up so quickly . Sometimes it is just good to share the frustration. I have some thai help from next month onwards, and so far , everything runs still as planned , more or less.

ok then bkk, its sweet then, as we have helped you with your quandary. :D

well done to us punters. :D

one other thing fella ,

dont forget to have a " jai yen " :D

ok then bkk, its sweet then, as we have helped you with your quandary. :D

well done to us punters. :D

one other thing fella ,

dont forget to have a " jai yen " :D

terry57-Get on down to Pantip Plaza and buy a new keyboard with an Enter key that doesn't double space and a working Shift key. I reckon you can find one for about 100 Baht. :D

sin bkk, I think jdinasia said it without using many words a few posts back.

As an example.

Thai is a phonetic based language. Words mean different things according to the accentuation.

Therefore Where jdinasia wrote (I´m guessing) Ayuthaya in Thai script, is the only ONE correct way of spelling it.

If it´s spelled five ways in english, it´s because WE (falang) are crap.

maybe you should learn thai before setting up a business there.

sin bkk, I think jdinasia said it without using many words a few posts back.

As an example.

Thai is a phonetic based language. Words mean different things according to the accentuation.

Therefore Where jdinasia wrote (I´m guessing) Ayuthaya in Thai script, is the only ONE correct way of spelling it.

If it´s spelled five ways in english, it´s because WE (falang) are crap.

maybe you should learn thai before setting up a business there.

Agreed ..... and if you don't learn how to deal with all aspects of Thai authority (ie anyone in a uniform that actually hasn't made a parachute jump).... you will lose before you start.

Think anything you want inside your head, but make your mouth smile at the same time ..... it's not that difficult after a while.

everyone is too polite to state the truth.

your average thai is not very smart.

you have pretend you are negotiating with a 4 year old.

so be very patient and go very very slowly.

the average IQ of a thai student (western academic test) is 81.

that is 1 point into average (80-100)

logical thinking is rare.

many of the abilities you expect in a western country are present in thai people,

e.g. reading a map, saying "i don't know'.,

knowing alternatives to simple requests.

reward for effort.

doing anything business related is very difficult.

cause you are not really wanted.