Flying In With One-way Ticket.

(Again, I made this its own topic, since it belonged to a mixed old message nobody paid attention to)

It has been for me impossible, so far, to purchase either a one-way ticket Italy-Thailand or a return ticket with a validity over 45 days without holding a visa or a rentry permit. I mean, the travel agency/airline won't sell it to you. Do they have that power? Why? Only in Italy? I travelled one-way to Thailand from Indonesia and India (although some years back), and was reading of some fellow here going one-way to Bkk from London.

But that's not the whole story. When I fly roundtrip BKK-Milan, on the way back (Milan) they always ask to see proper documentation to let you on the plane. I am afraid they won't let me in even if I were able to find an airline/travel agency that'd sell me a one-way or else if I buy a roundtrip from here (BKK).

Thanks for any advice.

But they should know that as an Italian passport holder you'll get a stamp on entry, no visa required. Why get a tourist visa if I don't need one? It's a waste of time and money.

you only get 30 day entry on arrival

cant you book your return date inside 30 days - then change it on arrival in Thailand. I have done this before.

Hi matcube,

if you intend have a ticket valid for more than 30 days ask the travel agent if they will accept a forwarding ticket with 30 days of you arriving in Thailand.

You can buy a cheap forwarding ticket at airasia.com to Malasia or somewhere.

Well, the regulations are weird.........

We (my non-Thai wife with EEC residence and me: Farang from the EEC) were refused -by the Thai Embassy in my country- a 30 day+ Visa for Thailand since we couldn't show/prove a return-ticket since we were travelling Europe-China vv. (in- and outbound).

In China however, we applied for a 60 day Visa WITHOUT having a return ticket (or even a one-way ticket.........!) and got it straight away.............now, who can explain the logic of that? :o

AFTER we got the Visa, we booked the tickets.....................one-way to BKK.

And: I suppose ALL Thai Embassies (worldwide) follow the same rules............................do they? :D

LaoPo

Can't you just buy a ticket on the net no questions asked!!!

I always travell from the UK on one way tickets if I haven't got a visa, 90% of the ailines I have used made me sign a disclaimer to say I would pay for my ticket back if turned away at BKK. Never happened though.

Just get a ticket off the net. JD.

Can't you just buy a ticket on the net no questions asked!!!

I always travell from the UK on one way tickets if I haven't got a visa, 90% of the ailines I have used made me sign a disclaimer to say I would pay for my ticket back if turned away at BKK. Never happened though.

Just get a ticket off the net. JD.

Problem isnt buying the ticket, its the person at the checkin counter. :o

It's a crap rule.last time I was on a Tourist visa I was on my way here from Hong kong.All cathy pacific did was made me sign a waiver.Either that, or make something up that looks like an E-ticket or a travel

doc that says you are going by bus to laos etc

1. You are not qualified for 30 day entry without visa unless you have confirmed reservations and a ticket onward within 30 days of arrival.

2. All Consulates do not operate with the same rules - and that is true of most countries. They operate according to current conditions in their area.

3. Buying a one way ticket and getting on the aircraft are two different things - I suspect Italy is probably very strict on that requirement so agents are trying to protect the customer.

4. Does Rome still use non airline specific check in? If so they would likely go by the book. And the book says you do not fly without onward ticket if you do not have a visa.

Summary: I need/want to fly BKK-Italy and back.

Proposed solution: it looks like I'll get a tourist visa. Still, to get a 2-month tourist visa, they need a ticket reservation, so I will make up a reservation for an Italian-based roundtrip ticket which I will never purchase.

Question: Could the airline check-in in Milan stop me if I try to embark on the return lag of the flight (Milan-BKK) holding just a 60-days tourist visa?

Thanks again.

You’ve got me a little confused.

It has been for me impossible, so far, to purchase either a one-way ticket Italy-Thailand or a return ticket with a validity over 45 days without holding a visa or a rentry permit.
I read this to mean that you are in Italy at the moment and want to buy

– either a one-way ticket Italy-Thailand

– or a return ticket Italy-Thailand-Italy

Summary: I need/want to fly BKK-Italy and back.

Question: Could the airline check-in in Milan stop me if I try to embark on the return lag of the flight (Milan-BKK) holding just a 60-days tourist visa?

This latest post of yours indicates that you are in Thailand at the moment and plan to buy a return ticket Bangkok-Milan-Bangkok.

--------------

Maestro

Maestro, sorry for the confusion.

It doesn't quite matter where I am at the moment. Yes, I am in Thailand and will need to commute between the two countries several times in the coming months. I am evaluating several options, including one-way to Italy, roundtrips from there (more expensive) or roundtrips from here (cheaper but seem to involve a more solid visa/permit of stay, as Lopburi and others pointed out).

I just discovered, by the way, that Thai embassy and consulates in Italy won't issue a 12 months multiple entry type-O any longer:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1232.php?id=873

Why it is possible in other Countries (including, at least that I know of, Malaysia and UK), is beyond my understanding. I also called them, well, to tell the truth I called Milan consulate, and he said that all over Italy is the same and he is not aware whether and why it would be different in other countries.

It doesn't quite matter where I am at the moment. Yes, I am in Thailand ...
In the context of your crazed rant of your original post, it does indeed matter.
I just discovered, by the way, that Thai embassy and consulates in Italy won't issue a 12 months multiple entry type-O any longer:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1232.php?id=873

I went to look at that web page and the link for the non-immigrant O visa says that the fee is EUR 50 per entry (original Italian text: Il costo del visto è di 50 Euro/una entrata)

If you qualify for the non-O (e.g. married to a Thai wife, purpose of visit “Visit family”) I don’t see why they should deny you a multiple-entry non-O valid for one year, unless they have reason to suspect that you are working illegally in Thailand, without paying taxes. But they would have to see the history of Thai stamps in your passport to have such suspicion, if indeed there is a basis for it, and they haven’t seen your passport yet.

In general, based on reports on ThaiVisa it is true that Thai consulates seem to get tougher, probably on instruction from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and try to force applicants to accept a single-entry non-O and then extend the permission of stay in Thailand.

--------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

I went to look at that web page and the link for the non-immigrant O visa says that the fee is EUR 50 per entry (original Italian text: Il costo del visto è di 50 Euro/una entrata)

... and in English it says "Note: Visa fee is 50 Euro for one entry." and also "Documents to be attached to the request to obtain a Non Immigrant visa for a stay of 90 days in Thailand."

I called them and they explicitly said that since June 2005, they only issue 90 days for family, and that "you'll get the one year extension right away once in Bankok" provided that you show "an account of 800,000 baht". Yes, they are incredibly uninformed, which pisses me off. I didn't call Rome, but the website seems to confirm that (plus going to Rome for a visa is not an option anyway).

I called them and they explicitly said that since June 2005, they only issue 90 days for family, and that "you'll get the one year extension right away once in Bankok" provided that you show "an account of 800,000 baht".
This would confirm that the consulate is indeed under instruction to do so. Another clamp-down, it seems, but not implemented by all consulates or in all countries. Certainly, the honorary consuls will not voluntarily reduce their income. I don’t know which type of consulate Milan is.

--------------

Maestro

Not happening with some of dutch or german airlines though. My bf already bought a one way ticket and he hasn't gotten a tourist visa granted yet as of now. Still working on that...

But i believe some airlines' regulations are stricter than others, very possibly.

Cheers

xx Bunnigal xx

Matcube ... weren't you on a non-immB before?

I am on a non-imm B expiring Sept 21 renewable until Sept 30 (my last day of work). I qualify for Non-imm O or can get a family permit of stay but timing is against me because it would be ready when I am abroad (see the other recent topic of mine).