Smog in Chaing Mai - Travel in April is ok?

HedwigLonglegs

Hi Everyone,

My parents are coming to visit from the start of April and we have booked to go to Chaing Mai during the second week (just before Songkran so as to avoid the crowds), but my colleagues have just told me about the fires and smog problem (they annoyingly failed to mention this when I asked them for advice on where to go a couple months ago!). It seems pretty bad on the news reports.

Has anyone had experience of this or is in Chaing Mai at the moment? Would you recommend still going or should we accept losing money on trains and flights (which are already booked) and find something else?

I'm worrying, so advice would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally ok when you get into April or at least much improved. It always rains(hot season storms) towards the end of March in CM city and this makes a huge improvement in the air quality. These short storms occur in April and always during Songkran. I would visit as planned. When you arrive it will be nothing like it is today. Expect it to be blazing hot. The north is hotter than the rest of Thailand.

It's really all going to depend on the rain. The jungle drums says some can be expected next week or so; if it doesn't materialise it could be as bad as 2007 looking at the numbers now. If it does, it may not be too bad at all.

E.g. I am looking at the Weather channel 10-day forecast and is says no rain up to and including 26 March.

So it's up to you if you want to gamble.

When do you have to make a decision?

Well if we decide not to go unfortunately I will lose money on the travel, but we can cancel our hotel before the end of the month.

Perhaps I'll give it a week and then see what the reports are like (while thinking of a back-up plan in case).

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated!

April can be almost completely dry. I'm leaving for the entire month. Last year we were fortunate to have two small storms before Songkran, and that was an exception. It was hazardous to one's health, today. Anyone with any type of respiratory problem is going to have serious issues.

It's really not a big deal. If you can afford to travel, you can afford 250 baht for an N95 mask with a vent valve. It's not uncomfortable to wear, clears up the problem with air pollution, and lets you enjoy your vacation. With a mask, the only drawback to Chiang Mai is the long-range visibility isn't so pretty looking. Other than that, for people with masks, it's business as usual. No need to change any plans.

Edited by FolkGuitar

and the clearness gives you the hottest days of the year....107F....60% chance of rain on the 24th, but looks like it will be very hot until Sunday, when it will just be plain hot.

Actually, the higher heat is a good thing, and it comes just at the right time. After the smog clears, people desperately need something else to complain about, and luckily for them, the temps rise and they can complain every day about the heat!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Songkran is always clear.

Haze ends first week of April most years. (Can look it up.)

Even if it doesn't it is very much improved. March is the month that it is the worst. People who compare today to April 12 through the 15th are both silly and uninformed.

There are rules of thumb based on past experience, but then there are always past experiences of exceptions to these rules. The closest I've found to a certain rule is:

The smoke stays until the burning stops, the burning continues until the rains begin, and no one knows for certain when the rains will begin.

Until then, it only hurts when you inhale. It hurt a lot today.

OK, thanks everyone. So if we are planning to come the week before Songkran we can assume the burning is still going on. Just how bad is it?

I took this video yesterday at Huay Teung Tao (CM)

https://youtu.be/7avkAC6bq10

Good video. You should be able to see the mountains which rise right up from the lake, but the particulates are completely obscuring the view. Hope you were wearing your N95 rated mask out there desi!

OK, thanks everyone. So if we are planning to come the week before Songkran we can assume the burning is still going on. Just how bad is it?

Your video has nothing to do with smog in 4 weeks. It is misleading.

Smog has always improved between the middle of March and the middle of April.

Your video has nothing to do with smog in 4 weeks. It is misleading.

Smog has always improved between the middle of March and the middle of April.

How it is misleading? I clearly stated the video was taken YESTERDAY.

Edited by desi

Good video. You should be able to see the mountains which rise right up from the lake, but the particulates are completely obscuring the view. Hope you were wearing your N95 rated mask out there desi!

Thanks! I have to wear a decent mask (I'm asthmatic). My car is protected as well.

If it does not rain it will be hazardous to health, simple as that. Eyes burning, sore throats etc, hospitals overflowing with people with respiratory problems.

And the highest ever bad air reached yesterday,no change in sight yet.

It's really not a big deal. If you can afford to travel, you can afford 250 baht for an N95 mask with a vent valve. It's not uncomfortable to wear, clears up the problem with air pollution, and lets you enjoy your vacation. With a mask, the only drawback to Chiang Mai is the long-range visibility isn't so pretty looking. Other than that, for people with masks, it's business as usual. No need to change any plans.

What an advice geez ... cheesy.gif

Hedwig, I dont know how much you are gonna Loose on prepaid tickets but the smog is awful I would def find another place to go. CM Authorities are unfortunately very reluctant to do anything about this problem even tho it is extremely hazardous to peoples health.

Have a nice trip anyway

IF the burning is still going and you're planning to be out and about..........yes it can be REALLY bad!

See Post 23 from someone who has been here a long time and doesn't joke about these things

It's really your decision, no one can make it for you.

Edited by uptheos

I just looked back through several seasons of April photos and some of them show quite a bit of haze while others look very clear. You could also look back in the PM10 data to see how things have been in the past.

As others have said, it really depends on whether the locals are done burning, or if the rains have come to dampen the burning party. There is no way to predict what April will be like but it surely won't be as clean as the months of May onward.