Toothfish poaching vessel detained in Phuket - Sea Shepherd

webfact

Toothfish poaching vessel detained in Phuket - Sea Shepherd
One News

(YVNZ) The toothfish poaching vessel Kunlun which fled from the New Zealand Navy in the Southern Ocean has been detained in Phuket, Thailand, on fisheries-related violations, according to conservation group Sea Shepherd.

The vessel was caught by the Navy engaged in illegal fishing in Australian waters in January and last month it was intercepted by the Sea Shepherd ship, Sam Simon, in possession of banned fishing equipment, again in Australian waters.

The HMNZS Wellington spent two weeks pursuing three vessels, the Songhua, Kunlun and Yongding, but left the area after its crew was refused permission to board.

Sea Shepherd says the Kunlun, which is one of six vessels that are known to still engage in Illegal fishing for toothfish in the Southern Ocean, was detained in Phuket in a coordinated effort between Interpol and law enforcement authorities in Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.

Full story: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/toothfish-poaching-vessel-detained-in-phuket-sea-shepherd-6257533

-- TVNZ 2015-03-17

^^^ The crew are not press-ganged into joining the ship. They volunteer. And before any action is taken, they take a vote. My brother was an engineer who was very close to the Sea Sherpherd people and Greenpeace. He was involved in several actions with them, and said no one on board the ships he was on demurred from pushing the limits of protest.

• Like 2

^^^ The crew are not press-ganged into joining the ship. They volunteer. And before any action is taken, they take a vote. My brother was an engineer who was very close to the Sea Sherpherd people and Greenpeace. He was involved in several actions with them, and said no one on board the ships he was on demurred from pushing the limits of protest.

That's not the point. A captain is responsible for the safety of his crew. If they are actually voting on certain risky actions, it means that the captain has abdicated that responsibility.

A vessel is not run as a democracy.

Edited by KarenBravo

That's not the point. A captain is responsible for the safety of his crew. If they are actually voting on certain risky actions, it means that the captain has abdicated that responsibility.

A vessel is not run as a democracy.

"A vessel is not run as a democracy." - true, but a democracy is usually created, just before the Captain is thrown overboard. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Yes, this vessel was finally caught.

And.....how was it caught?

It just sailed into port and was impounded from intelligence from various agencies.

What did all the high-jinx and unsafe stuff in the southern ocean achieve?

Absolutely nothing.

I would presume it contributed to getting caught.

But again, that is not the issue on hand here.

What did all the high-jinx and unsafe stuff in the southern ocean achieve?

Absolutely nothing.

Many hundreds of whales are still swimming in the wild instead of being killed by the Japanese whalers, and the highest court in the land agreed they were doing this killing illegally.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/world/europe/united-nations-court-rules-against-japan-in-whaling-dispute.html?_r=0

Is that "Absolutely Nothing"?

• Like 2

There are Laws of the Sea that the Captain of the Sea Shephard doesn't follow. These laws are designed to stop getting people hurt.

I'm not talking about whales here. I also am glad that there are conservation efforts. My particular beef and only beef is against the captain of the Sea Shephard who puts lives at risk unnecessarily. Lives of both his own crew and the "targets".

I don't believe that any seafarer, exempting pirates, deserves to get hurt by one fool disregarding well established laws designed to protect ALL seafarers and taking risks with the lives of his crew.

• Like 1

There are Laws of the Sea that the Captain of the Sea Shephard doesn't follow. These laws are designed to stop getting people hurt.

I'm not talking about whales here. I also am glad that there are conservation efforts. My particular beef and only beef is against the captain of the Sea Shephard who puts lives at risk unnecessarily. Lives of both his own crew and the "targets".

I don't believe that any seafarer, exempting pirates, deserves to get hurt by one fool disregarding well established laws designed to protect ALL seafarers and taking risks with the lives of his crew.

OK, Sea Shepherd it is :)

I don't think seafarers that are purposefully and knowingly ignoring international law, like the Japanese whalers are, deserve any kind of protection. Tough shit if they get hurt.

• Like 1

Tough shit if they get hurt.

And does the same apply to the crew of the Sea Shephard? In fact, they are put more at risk.

The Laws of the Sea are like traffic laws. They spell out how to pass another vessel, what side to pass, who gets right-of-way and when. How close you are allowed to approach etc.

You should know all this being involved with dive-boats. We won't even get into sending people out in small outboard driven craft in sea conditions that no one but a zealot would consider going out in.

As I've said before, other captains, total professionals consider the Sea Shephard's captain an incompetent, egotistical, dangerous fool.

Anyone think of the risks to rescue personnel, should they be needed? I've worked in the Southern Ocean and it is not a forgiving place and certainly not a place to take risks, regardless of the cause.

Good intelligence and multi-agency cooperation captured the Tooth-fish vessel, not empty bravado.

I support conservation efforts, but, not at any price..........

Edited by KarenBravo

Tough shit if they get hurt.

And does the same apply to the crew of the Sea Shephard? In fact, they are put more at risk.

The Laws of the Sea are like traffic laws. They spell out how to pass another vessel, what side to pass, who gets right-of-way and when. How close you are allowed to approach etc.

You should know all this being involved with dive-boats. We won't even get into sending people out in small outboard driven craft in sea conditions that no one but a zealot would consider going out in.

As I've said before, other captains, total professionals consider the Sea Shephard's captain an incompetent, egotistical, dangerous fool.

Anyone think of the risks to rescue personnel, should they be needed? I've worked in the Southern Ocean and it is not a forgiving place and certainly not a place to take risks, regardless of the cause.

Good intelligence and multi-agency cooperation captured the Tooth-fish vessel, not empty bravado.

They (should) know the risks.

I hear you.....

What about captains of military vessels?? This is their job, and they put people at risk all the time.

If someone is only doing this for money, and has crew who are there only for their work, I would agree with you. The captain should put safety as the #1 priority.

That is not what Sea Shepherd is doing. They are willing to put themselves at risk for the oceans and sea life, and I applaud that.

That's not the point.

A true captain wouldn't allow people to put themselves at risk. That is what I'm trying to say.

Depends on the aim/purpose of the boat. Most boats out there have as purpose to go from A to B safely, Sea Shepherd has as purpose to prevent as much killing of whales as they can. So the captain will have a completely different view of the task at hand. SeaShepherd is not about seamanship and doesn't care about it.

• Like 2

Certainly I am no expert... but wouldn't the analogy be high-speed chases by police?

Of course no sane police office is going to put himself, the public or the perpetrator at risk in a high-speed chase for a minor infraction. However it IS perfectly LEGAL for police to ignore all laws/rules of the road and engage in pursuit at their discretion. In 2001 in the USA 365 deaths resulted from crashes during police chases, 140 of those killed were innocent bystanders.

I'd say, if the Sea Sheppard Captain was honest in the link KarenBravo posted and there have been no serious injuries on his boat since launching in '79, that he is doing a very acceptable job in protecting his crew... In fact a much better job than police are doing in protecting the public.

Edited by mikebike

I hear you.....

What about captains of military vessels?? This is their job, and they put people at risk all the time.

If someone is only doing this for money, and has crew who are there only for their work, I would agree with you. The captain should put safety as the #1 priority.

That is not what Sea Shepherd is doing. They are willing to put themselves at risk for the oceans and sea life, and I applaud that.

Military vessels DO NOT put people at risk.

The SEA SHEPHERD is a self proclaimed vigilante that puts boats and crew in serious risk all the time. There is a right and wrong way to take care of business and they are wrong.

Certainly I am no expert... but wouldn't the analogy be high-speed chases by police?

You're absolutely right.........which is why they are being phased out in favour of restrictive chases.

They are deemed too dangerous for those taking part and the general public at large.

As for the other analogies like military, fire etc.

Risks as far as possible are controlled and their purpose is to save HUMAN life.

If you equate the life of a Toothfish to a human, that's up to you.

Again, I repeat. In this case, the reason the vessel was caught really didn't have much to do with the Sea Shephard.