Proof of income for one year visa extension in Phuket

As of 9 March 2015 Phuket Immigration now requires the following for proof of income for those using bank balance:

1. Signed Bank Letter showing current balance (SCB charges 200B).

2. Signed Bank Statement for the last three (3) months, listing all transactions and recipients (SCB suggested 6 months as cost the same 200B).

3. Photo copy of Bank Book with Account Number and Name.

Was turned away at Phuket Immigration this date because did not have above items. Immediately went to SCB Jungcylon and they were aware of the change and produced items i and 2 above in a few minutes. For my account the statement required four full pages of single line entries. SCB staff said they had been informed some 8 days ago of the new requirement and were prepared.

Note: Did get clarification from Volunteer worker that those qualifying for visa/extension of stay based on monthly income and Embassy letters etc., do not require the above items.

• Like 2

Thanks for the post. I'll need to get the same from Krungsri Bank next month, hopefully word of the new requirements will have made it there by that time. I suspect SCB and Bangkok Bank might be more up-to-date on these changes. Last year BBL only charged 100 THB for the letter and, or course, there was no statement required so don't know how much that would have cost. Guess I'll find out what Krungsri charges this year.

It's not good news, but better to find out about this beforehand. Thanks again for taking the time to make this post, probably saved me a second trip to immigration.

It seems the change is they are wanting printouts of your balance signed by the bank instead of just your bank book.

That is the first I have heard of that for any immigration office.

Another odd Phuket requirement.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It seems the change is they are wanting printouts of your balance signed by the bank instead of just your bank book.

Perhaps yet another attempt at excluding "agents" from securing extensions for inflated fees ?

• Like 1

requires the following for proof of income for those using bank balance:

Proof of income and proof of bank balance are two different things as far as applying for extension is concerned. Proof of income requires an affidavit from your embassy.

• Like 1

^^^ I am confused too?... Is the OP referring to a bank letter confirming 800k in a bank account or a copy of a bank statement showing regular foreign transfers to back up a embassy letter affirming the 65k/month foreign income?

• Like 1

I don't think that term deposits are permitted. Have you used a term deposit previously? If not, you might want to check the rules.

I have used a fixed term deposit successfully before in getting an extension of stay for reason of retirement at the Phuket immigration office. My understanding of why that is acceptable is that with a fixed deposit the bank allows you to withdraw all or part of the fixed deposit whenever you want to. You may (probably will) lose some of your interest but you can get at the money whenever you need to, hence it is highly liquid. From the perspective of liquidity, it's as accessible as a regular savings account. Also, unlike a mutual fund it's not going to decrease in value when you go to take it out.

Currently I'm using a Mee Tae Dai account at Krungsri Bank which is classed as a regular savings account with the restriction that you can only withdraw up to 2 times a month from the account without paying a nominal fee for the withdrawal. Currently it is earning 2.25 percent if balance is between 100,000 and 10 million Baht. I ended up transferring my 800,000 Baht retirement extension account from Bangkok Bank because at the time it was higher (I think 2.3%) than their promotional 4 month fixed savings account rate (now, 1.875% for 4-month term) where I had that amount previously. It seemed to be a no-brainer, as not only was the interest rate higher, it was possible to withdraw from the account penalty free two times each month. Interest was also paid monthly versus at the end of the fixed term.

Now, I haven't actually used Krungsri's Mee Tae Dai account to apply for my extension of stay due to retirement yet, but since the money is as liquid as a fixed term deposit and the value of the account doesn't fluctuate (as a mutual fund could), I don't anticipate any problems doing so.

Edit: oops, forgot another reason to prefer the Mee Tae Dai account. As it is not a fixed term deposit, tax is not automatically withheld in the Mee Tae Dai account as it would be in a fixed term deposit. So I can skip the step of filing an income tax return (PNG 90) to get back my tax withheld for my interest from fixed deposit accounts. Although I imagine if the amount of interest earned in the year exceeds 30,000 Baht, tax may, in fact, be withheld even from the Mee Tae Dai account. I guess I'll see whether that's the case this year. In any case, with the fixed deposit account it would have been a certainty.

Edited by skatewash

i use a term deposit so its going to be a very short statement.

surely they dont want proof of spending as well now?

I don't think they're looking for proof of spending, just that they have decided they would rather look at a bank statement produced and stamped by the bank than look through the applicant's actual passbook. Maybe the theory is that it's easier to fake passbook entries, than a bank statement stamped by the bank? Maybe there have been cases of applicants fraudulently forging entries into a passbook? I don't know. Doesn't seem likely to me. I'm OK with the new requirement except for the fact that the bank is probably going to charge for the production of the statement, whereas previously it didn't cost me anything to have the immigration officer peruse my passbook.

Sorry for any confusion. The post was in regard to those using the bank account method (800K) vice the monthly income of some 65K with embassy letter method. You need two items from the bank. The signed bank letter would show the balance as of the date of the letter. The signed bank statement shows all transactions occurring within the reporting period (3 to 6 months) and includes every deposit and withdrawal (payment) to whomever including all ATM withdrawals, payments and/or transfers. This bank statement is more informative than just the pages of a bank book.

^^^ I am confused too?... Is the OP referring to a bank letter confirming 800k in a bank account or a copy of a bank statement showing regular foreign transfers to back up a embassy letter affirming the 65k/month foreign income?

the op was referring to the money in the bank method.

from the OP " Note: Did get clarification from Volunteer worker that those qualifying for visa/extension of stay based on monthly income and Embassy letters etc., do not require the above items."

Been requirement on Koh Samui as long as I remember.

Can anyone tell me if the Embassy Proof of Income Letter (for the 65000 Baht a month income) is still valid for up to 6 months at the Jomtien Immigration? I couldn't find the information on the Thai Immigration website. Thanks so much.

Yes it is still valid for 6 months.

• Like 1

Perhaps slightly off topic however, for curiosity and bemusement sake, I pass this on. Attended an SCB branch - where I have had an account for 3 years plus and plenty of cash movements. I was with my Thai wife and wished to open an additional account to keep separate funds. QUOTE You now require a yellow book to open an account. Eh! Well whilst I am eligible to apply for such an item it seems ridiculous. Many authorized expats do not qualify for a yellow book. Just this branch I wonder who may have misinterpreted 'new' junta requirements. Any one out there encounter this? Cheers

Many authorized expats do not qualify for a yellow book. Just this branch I wonder who may have misinterpreted 'new' junta requirements. Any one out there encounter this?

There are no "new junta requirements", It's just each bank branch doing as they wish and blaming someone else.

By the way I think that pretty much any can, in theory, obtain a yellow book.

You can use a fixed term deposit for your 1 year retirement extension as long as it is NOT secured against a credit card. I have used a Bangkok Bank 800000 fixed deposit and there fee for the letter is 200bt.

If you use a Kasikorn bank fixed deposit which I have at the moment you need an account for the money to be paid into every month. The interest is added every month and the 15% tax on the interest is deducted. The interest after tax is credited to your nominated savings account ..

EG ... 28th Feb 2015... 800000 bt balance. + 1779.72 bt. Interest for February = 801779.72 MINUS 266.96 (15% tax) =

801512.76 bt. MINUS 151276 interest = 800000 bt.

The amount of 1512.76 is the interest after the compulsory tax is taken out and credited to your savings account..

So in fact after all calculations the balance remains at 800000 bt for the life of the term deposit.

I have never in 5 years had any problems with my extensions. I never touch the account so its very straight forward..

The OP certainly put up a confused story.

Why do so many do that?

Its so clear as to the methods of "having money in the bank" and "proving income per month" as well as a "combination of both".

I do not live in Phuket but I am sure if guys like the confused OP read the signs outside the immigration office which are in English he/she would understand more.

I remind people who are attending Immigration to get a haircut, put on a nice shirt,be clean and respectful and read the signs.

It is not a place to wander about like a beach bum and expect others to cater to your wilful ways

Regards.

As an example i saw a guy at Khon Kaen Immigration with a scraggly two year beard, beach shorts, a tattered shirt, unkempt hair moaning about how they told him to move on. How about a bit of respect? I wonder how he got in the gate?

jamestip2013, on 18 Mar 2015 - 18:10, said:

You can use a fixed term deposit for your 1 year retirement extension as long as it is NOT secured against a credit card. I have used a Bangkok Bank 800000 fixed deposit and there fee for the letter is 200bt.

If you use a Kasikorn bank fixed deposit which I have at the moment you need an account for the money to be paid into every month. The interest is added every month and the 15% tax on the interest is deducted. The interest after tax is credited to your nominated savings account ..

EG ... 28th Feb 2015... 800000 bt balance. + 1779.72 bt. Interest for February = 801779.72 MINUS 266.96 (15% tax) =

801512.76 bt. MINUS 151276 interest = 800000 bt.

The amount of 1512.76 is the interest after the compulsory tax is taken out and credited to your savings account..

So in fact after all calculations the balance remains at 800000 bt for the life of the term deposit.

I have never in 5 years had any problems with my extensions. I never touch the account so its very straight forward..

If your not receiving any income from Thailand you can claim that tax back as well.

• Like 1

Tassie Norm, on 18 Mar 2015 - 17:13, said:

Perhaps slightly off topic however, for curiosity and bemusement sake, I pass this on. Attended an SCB branch - where I have had an account for 3 years plus and plenty of cash movements. I was with my Thai wife and wished to open an additional account to keep separate funds. QUOTE You now require a yellow book to open an account. Eh! Well whilst I am eligible to apply for such an item it seems ridiculous. Many authorized expats do not qualify for a yellow book. Just this branch I wonder who may have misinterpreted 'new' junta requirements. Any one out there encounter this? Cheers

ALL foreigners with Visas or Extensions are entitled to a Tabian Ban (Yellow Book).

Thai Civil Registration Act (No.2) B.E. 2551

Section 21. Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons.

The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

Last time I attended Udon Thani, extension of stay, (retirement) was February this year and besides the letter and wanting to see the bank book, they took copies of every page but never asked for any printouts signed by the bank.

I just did my retirement extension in Hatyai and posted the follwing to a previous forum about retirement extensions.

Well, as I promised, I did my retirement extension run to immigration today. I got my income statement from the US Embassy last week. Well, now I know how the rest of you feel. For the first time in eight years, since the initial hassles learning the retirement dance, I got a hassle for the extension.

It started up front. The normally friendly immigration officer on the front desk asked us to make the copies and fill out the forms instead of telling his intern to do it for us. Then we took the forms to the window and our normal extension immigration officer no longer handled them, it went to a higher ranking officer. After about a 30 minute wait, we were told the rules had changed.

They brought out the new commander, a woman colonel—crown and two pips—she explained that we needed a bank account, something to do with an MOA, memorandum of agreement, with the US about money laundering, or at least that was what I understood from her limited English and my limited Thai. They did not seem to care about the income statement, just wanted a copy of our Thai bank account.

I tried to explain I do not use a Thai bank for my expenses in Thailand, I use the ATM and my debit card. Cannot, she said, must use Thai bank. I asked if she meant I needed to have the money transferred monthly into the Thai bank, she said yes, I could. So, I asked again, must I transfer money every month. No, she said, just have a Thai bank so they can make a copy and append to the retirement forms. Okay, never before did they ask for a bank account.

So, we went back home to get our bank book and came back. Okay, now all was good, just go make copies of the bank book--even though it only had about B5k in it. With copies of the bank book in hand, she says, we can only process my retirement extension because my wife’s paperwork needs a copy of my retirement extension so she can piggyback on mine; that never happened before either, they simply had correlating extension numbers.

Okay, we wait for them to process my retirement extension, when completed, go make copies of my retirement extension stamp to append to my wife’s paperwork. Okay, now it seems we need more than just copies of the retirement extension, now need copy of my ID page too. Okay, now we wait for them to process my wife’s piggyback retirement extension.

All in, over two and a half hours in immigration plus and an r/t back home for the bank book. So, over three hours clock time to get what has taken less than 30 minutes seven times before. Still not sure, so I asked again, do I have to have money transferred each month—at least the $2000 or so dollars, whatever the B65k amounts to—no, just have bank account was the reply.

I guess we will see next year, but no worries, on the ride back home to get the bank book, I made my escape plans. We could be out of here in two days without looking back—I’ve always liked being mobile. So, if they hassle again next year, I have a plan A and a plan B. Plan A, just transfer $25k to my bank account, or Plan B, execute escape plan.

• Like 1

whistling.gif Phuket is a ______ anyhow. and they make their own rules.

But if you receive a monthly income , either by a pension, or by monthly wire transfers to your Thai bank account, your passbook tells the story.

Every incoming foreign funds transfer has a particular code to identify it.

This code may be different for different Thai banks.

For Bangkok Bank it is FTT for Foreign Funds Transfer. It is printed by computer into your passbook with the date of the incoming funds and the amount in Baht.

Therefore if you do get a monthly foreign funds transfer coming in to Thailand..... that incoming funds transfer will show in your Passbook as (for Bangkok Bank) an FTT transfer (incoming foreign funds).

Although you can't do much about it if some ____________ in Phuket immigration chooses to ignore that code.... it still is to your advantage to have a monthly FTT transfer code printed in your passbook as proof of a monthly foreign funds transfer into Thailand.

Your passbook is your friend, learn how to use it properly.

i still don't see why we have to show any type of income at all when using the money in the bank method. thats the whole point of the money in the bank, season it for 2 months then spend it throughout the year.

personally, if i have to show income every month i'd use the income method and keep my money offshore

i thought all u need do is show an income of xxxx/month + money in local bank if using the combo method to make up to 800,000

never knew it had to be transferred into Thailand

I seldom transfer the full amount i earn outside Thailand into Thailand every month nor have i for the past 10 years

and i get my extension every year

Something similar to the OP's experience happened to me earlier this week.

Went to the bank (BBL) and asked for the "immigration letter". Staff member comes back a few minutes later with about 6 pages, which she folds up and puts in a BBL envelope. When I got home, I took a look and it contained the letter, copy of the title page of the bank book, as well as copies of every page of the book.

Next day, was turned away by the Phuket volunteer for not having a computer-generated bank statement.

Went back to the bank (which is a main branch) and told them what was needed, to which they said they never heard of this but could do it. I also made sure they stamped every page of the statement. Binned the bank book copies since I was told they were not acceptable.

Back to Phuket immigration in the afternoon with the correct bank statement. The first officer (sitting next to the volunteer) who checks paperwork looks at me and says, "I want a copy of every page of your bank book", to which I replied "I gave you the statement". "No, I want a copy of the bank book copy too".

The volunteer sitting next to him wasn't busy, so I pointed to the new large sign that is mounted between them that clearly says a copy of only the title page of the bank book is required, along with a bank statement, and I say "your sign says title page only, but the officer wants a copy of every page".

Volunteer shrugs his shoulders and rolls his eyes. A very telling indication of how things work at Phuket immigration.

• Like 1

Volunteer shrugs his shoulders and rolls his eyes. A very telling indication of how things work at Phuket immigration.

Yes, unfortunately the situation at Phuket immigration regarding what is necessary can be very "fluid."

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus rolleyes.gif

As a defensive measure it's always good to go in armed with everything you can possibly imagine they might want to see. It's always satisfying to see the flash of disappointment when they ask for something you haven't given them yet and you are able to pull it out of your knapsack and hand it to them, without having to leave and come back. Small victories. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1