Water Quality in Thailand

welshboy454

Pattaya is known for having frequent water shortages. Many hotels would hire private companies to fill their water tanks when the public water supply was insufficient.

One day while riding a motorbike around local backcountry, I observed a well marked water supply tank truck drop it's intake hose into a scummy little pond and fill up.

Never trusted Pattaya hotel tap water again, even for tooth brushing.

Can you please explain -- why is it bad that plastic bottles sit out in the sun?

I've also questioned the cleanliness of bottled water. After manufacturing the plastic bottle, I presume that they do not rinse it before filling it with water. How bad is that?

Edit: I've also noticed a bunch of bottled water brands popping up all over the place. Which one do you trust? The Singha brand is prolific but tastes horrible.

. Plus I see the plastic bottles sitting out in the sun all day,that's not good

Pattaya is known for having frequent water shortages. Many hotels would hire private companies to fill their water tanks when the public water supply was insufficient.

One day while riding a motorbike around local backcountry, I observed a well marked water supply tank truck drop it's intake hose into a scummy little pond and fill up.

there are other similar reports....you aren't the only one who saw that

We've got a nasty looking pond right behind our village. In the dry season, water trucks rumble up and down that soi filling up for deliveries around here. Many, many every day. It's definitely not "clean" water. I'd never drink it.

We've got a nasty looking pond right behind our village. In the dry season, water trucks rumble up and down that soi filling up for deliveries around here. Many, many every day. It's definitely not "clean" water. I'd never drink it.

sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vrJpEP3T5- if it looks nasty you can even get sick from taking shower.....And shower is more difficult to replace than drinking water....

gross!

geez, thanks for sharing though

I live in Pathum Wan. I use tap water for making coffee (tastes same as any coffee) and ice. I do notice if I leave an ice cube to melt on my counter top, after it melts there is a milky residue left. I drink bottled water; however, if I run out of bottled water at night, I use tap water for my scotch & water. There is definitely a distinct difference in taste (tap water somewhat of a bitter taste).

• 2 weeks later...

Water in Thailand as many others have stated is hugely variable in quality, from Bangkok being the best, to the local village being the worst. That being said, even in Bangkok water quality is nowhere near what would be acceptable tap water provided by a municipal water district in most western countries. It costs millions of $ in infrastructure to pipe safe drinking water to homes, something Thailand hasn't and probably won't do anytime in the near future. There is a reason that even the JW Marriott in Bangkok and the like post signs in the rooms telling you NOT to drink the tap water and happily provide you with copious amounts of bottled water. They are not in the business of giving away a basic commodity for free if they didn't have to!

Outside Bangkok things get worse. Most of us have varying levels of filtration and sterilization for everyday washing and UV sterilization for drinking.

Bottom line, drink nothing unless you are sure of where it comes from and what treatment it's had

As others have said, it depends on where you live and what the source of the water is (municipal vs tap) but another important consideration in cities is the state of the pipes, both in your home/building and throughout the municipal distribution system.

In urban areas,m water is safe to drink at its source but old, rusty etc pies can alter that by the time it reaches your tap.

As others have said, it depends on where you live and what the source of the water is (municipal vs tap) but another important consideration in cities is the state of the pipes, both in your home/building and throughout the municipal distribution system.

In urban areas,m water is safe to drink at its source but old, rusty etc pies can alter that by the time it reaches your tap.

In Europe pipes from lead was always a topic. I don't know if such exist in Thailand.

History had a program a while back about the Lion of Beer, It was the history of the Boonrawd Brewery that makes Singha....there water comes from six wells and they are 300m deep.

I've also questioned the cleanliness of bottled water. After manufacturing the plastic bottle, I presume that they do not rinse it before filling it with water. How bad is that?

Edit: I've also noticed a bunch of bottled water brands popping up all over the place. Which one do you trust? The Singha brand is prolific but tastes horrible.

I buy only brand name bottled water in the hope that they are a bit better.

I had once a cheap bottle (these soft plastic bottles) with oil or gasoline in it. terrible strong smell.....

Stay with the name brands although they are probable all make by the same water company.

I buy only brand name bottled water in the hope that they are a bit better.

I had once a cheap bottle (these soft plastic bottles) with oil or gasoline in it. terrible strong smell.....

Stay with the name brands although they are probable all make by the same water company.

I don't think all by the same....but surely some....It seems the equipment for it is very cheap.

• 3 months later...

Seems there's a big scare in Hong Kong now. Authorities have said the water was safe to drink for years. True, but only at the source...

http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/1845256/after-tap-water-scare-hong-kong-must-revamp-qualification

Confirmation that the drinking water at another public housing estate is contaminated with lead has heightened public alarm. It has been further stoked by news of more results of tests on residents that reveal lead levels in blood in excess of World Health Organisation guidelines, with a medical expert warning of possible exposure to potential health risks, including harm to an unborn baby and to the developing brain and nervous system in children.

Until now confidence in the safety and security of the city's water supply has long been a given. The lead contamination is a reminder that it can never be taken for granted. Public anxiety and anger over the scare is understandable. Officials have responded by ordering tests on all 170 public housing states and regularly updating results, and with blood checks for worried residents, which have overwhelmed laboratories and have had to be outsourced.