Missouri executes brain-damaged murderer

Lite Beer

Missouri executes brain-damaged murderer

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A brain-damaged 74-year-old man who killed a police officer was executed on Tuesday in Missouri after his final Supreme Court appeal was rejected, prison authorities said.

Cecil Clayton was pronounced dead by lethal injection at 9:21 pm (0221 GMT), said Mike O’Connell, spokesman for the Missouri prison service.

Clayton had suffered an injury in a workplace accident in 1972 and had to undergo brain surgery. But the court rejected his argument that he should not be executed because of his mental incapacity.

His lawyers Elizabeth Carlyle and Pete Carter argued that his behavior changed after the surgery that saw a fifth of the frontal lobe of his brain removed because a piece of wood had pierced through his skull.

Then aged 32, he suffered hallucinations, bouts of depression and schizophrenia, and violent tantrums, they said.

It was during one of those episodes that a sheriff’s deputy was shot and killed when responding to a call about domestic violence in 1996.

On January 2, clinical and forensic psychologist Daniel Foster, who spent time with Clayton, supported the defence argument.

"He is not simply incompetent legally, he would be unable to care for himself or manage basic self-care were he not in a structured environment that takes care of him," Foster wrote.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Missouri-executes-brain-damaged-murderer-30256260.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-18

This isn't the whole story. He had a "final" US Supreme Court appeal.

The US doesn't execute people who's mental capacity renders them incapable of knowing what they did is wrong.

If someone is executed he knew right from wrong and did it anyway. I don't know this story. Sometimes it is obvious someone knew what he did was wrong (under the law - not necessarily morally because some of the worst criminals have no morals) because he goes to great pains to hide his crime.

Whatever it was the SC court would have each time careful weighed this as would the judge and jury at trial.

• Like 2

The world has numerous people who have had greater injuries than this and have not harmed others. Likewise, many people such as this lead productive lives without a fiduciary or guardian. Having noted this, my dear friend suffered a traumatic brain injury 20 years ago and did in fact surrender guardianship for his affairs, as he was deemed not able to handle his affairs. Is this the same standard for competence in a criminal case? I dont know.

I do know this: as a strong advocate for the death penalty, many years ago my then (lazy) wife asked me to assist (read write) a research report on the death penalty in America. Going into the paper I was sure what my argument would be- in favor of the death penalty. At the conclusion of my research I found it overwhelmingly apparent that there were in fact two standards that existed in the US with regard to the death penalty. People with money and resources were significantly less likely to be condemned to death than the indignant, minorities, or any other group. The question then presented itself to me: Should the State, in any event, be murdering citizens? My gut says a State/the People retain this right but it doesn't sit so well. It does not seem to have appropriate checks and balances related to a defendant's status and means in society to defend themselves.

Its not that innocent people are being put to death insomuch as it seems innocent people go free.

• Like 1

At 74 he didn't have long to go anyway. Who cares, his victim didn't get any appeals.

Good Riddance.

Capital punishment should be banned world wide a bit like you.

He killed one of my collegues and you expect me to shed a tear for this pile of crap. Get serious.

I hope he suffered as he went.

Apologist for a cop killer, nice. Grow a brain.

• Like 1

He killed a cop, that instantly made him a dead man walking.

And rightfully so, the Police are there to protect the community, kill one and you should be burned in a cage, no exceptions.

Edited by neverdie

At 74 he didn't have long to go anyway. Who cares, his victim didn't get any appeals.

Good Riddance.

YOU must be young then.

I know plenty of people in their seventies.

And they are very fit and expect to live A LOT LONGER yet.

great expectations,at 74 the pearly gate is open and ready for most of us

And rightfully so, the Police are there to protect the community, kill one and you should be burned in a cage, no exceptions.

You work for ISIS right, if we have police with your attitude then we are better of without them.

• Like 1

You work for ISIS right, if we have police with your attitude then we are better of without them.

If you don't go around killing cops then you don't have a problem. Simple really.

Go talk to any cop and ask him what should happen with people that murder police when they're carrying out their duties.....if they're honest they'll say, flick the switch. ;)

Anyone committing murder is brain damaged to some extent.

Seriously? Do you mean ending a life? What is the definition of murder... approval by majority? What is the definition of killing and receiving the Congressional Medal of Honor... approval by majority?

Not arguing here, but I suspect that you meant more than what this simple and obtuse statement implies.

Things can get quite confusing out there, yes? 555

Cheers and Respect.

Black?

Nope just a murderer. You convey the dangerous racist mentality that keeps countries sick. You automatically jump to the conclusion only a black would kill a cop or only a black would get executed for killing a cop. Your mind jumps to race before examine objective facts. That is racist be it direct or reverse and is exactly why rwcist idiots were looting and burning businesses in Ferguson.

BS. The man asked a simple question. Stow your bias and stay focused on the point.

Good Riddance.

Capital punishment should be banned world wide a bit like you.

The both of you seem a bit ill-tempered. One seems a bit disgruntled that someone went so long before receiving their sentence, and the other seems a bit disgruntled that someone is disgruntled about the whole lot.

At the end of the day, it wearies me that things like this can be dragged out so long, even to the point that they become forgotten and apathy creeps in to make people say things like the both of you just did.

No arguments. I do the same thing. Sometimes it simply feels good to type it out and click, "Add Reply".

Regards to the two of you.

It's estimated 10% of people executed in the USA are innocent of the crime they are alleged to have committed, or should have received a lesser sentence based on the circumstances e.g. battered wives.

Somewhat ironic the land of the free and the brave has one of the highest prison populations in the world - over-represented by African-Americans - but what do I know, I'm only an Aussie.

• Like 1

Well if he was somewhat mentally challenged it should be taken into consideration. There was a English king many hundred years ago. Sorry I dont remember his name and number. Maybe Henry something. He became very sick and after his illness he was reported to have become paranoid and homocidal. He had a lot of wives killed.

Edited by BKKBobby

The world has numerous people who have had greater injuries than this and have not harmed others. Likewise, many people such as this lead productive lives without a fiduciary or guardian. Having noted this, my dear friend suffered a traumatic brain injury 20 years ago and did in fact surrender guardianship for his affairs, as he was deemed not able to handle his affairs. Is this the same standard for competence in a criminal case? I dont know.

I do know this: as a strong advocate for the death penalty, many years ago my then (lazy) wife asked me to assist (read write) a research report on the death penalty in America. Going into the paper I was sure what my argument would be- in favor of the death penalty. At the conclusion of my research I found it overwhelmingly apparent that there were in fact two standards that existed in the US with regard to the death penalty. People with money and resources were significantly less likely to be condemned to death than the indignant, minorities, or any other group. The question then presented itself to me: Should the State, in any event, be murdering citizens? My gut says a State/the People retain this right but it doesn't sit so well. It does not seem to have appropriate checks and balances related to a defendant's status and means in society to defend themselves.

Its not that innocent people are being put to death insomuch as it seems innocent people go free.

TIME EXPIRED TO CATCH MY EDIT, ABOVE:

"Its not that innocent people are being put to death insomuch as it seems innocent guilty people go free."

• Like 2

Anyone committing murder is brain damaged to some extent.

Seriously? Do you mean ending a life? What is the definition of murder... approval by majority? What is the definition of killing and receiving the Congressional Medal of Honor... approval by majority?

Not arguing here, but I suspect that you meant more than what this simple and obtuse statement implies.

Things can get quite confusing out there, yes? 555

Cheers and Respect.

Nope. If you cannot see the difference, the problem is your or you are just being obtuse.

• Like 1

Black?

Nope just a murderer. You convey the dangerous racist mentality that keeps countries sick. You automatically jump to the conclusion only a black would kill a cop or only a black would get executed for killing a cop. Your mind jumps to race before examine objective facts. That is racist be it direct or reverse and is exactly why rwcist idiots were looting and burning businesses in Ferguson.

BS. The man asked a simple question. Stow your bias and stay focused on the point.

Nope, the man was trying to infuse race into a non-racial issue.

• Like 1

You have a brain injury too.

It's estimated 10% of people executed in the USA are innocent of the crime they are alleged to have committed, or should have received a lesser sentence based on the circumstances e.g. battered wives.

Somewhat ironic the land of the free and the brave has one of the highest prison populations in the world - over-represented by African-Americans - but what do I know, I'm only an Aussie.

"10% of people executed in the USA are innocent"???? Where on earth did you get this figure from?