Where can one purchase fresh bagels in Pattaya?

dannywla

Fresh, schmesh.
The real question is if there are REAL bagels for sale in town or just some bread with a hole.

I think it's a no and I don't count frozen imported Lender's bagels as acceptable.

What a great idea for PASTRAMI AND RYE in Jomtien to get a daily shipment from one of the real bagel places in Bangkok to sell there?

Yes, for a REAL bagel the dough MUST go through a BOILING step.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Hi. I'm sure that the Au Bon Pain shops have them (there is one in the same complex as Villa Market). I'm assuming that you are in Pattaya...

Can I piggyback this topic to ask if anyone knows why we can no longer find the frozen English muffins? They used to be available at Foodland and Villa Market but haven't seen them in a long time. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Hi. I'm sure that the Au Bon Pain shops have them (there is one in the same complex as Villa Market). I'm assuming that you are in Pattaya...

Can I piggyback this topic to ask if anyone knows why we can no longer find the frozen English muffins? They used to be available at Foodland and Villa Market but haven't seen them in a long time. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

I've seen frozen English muffins at Friendship from time to time. All the way to the back of the store and the freezers furthest to the left. They're OK, but not what I think of as English muffins.

Same for bagels at villa. More or less just a bread roll.

I have had pretty decent bagels from Au Bon Pain ... though maybe not 100% up to what you'd get in the US. I use to get them at the Au Bon Pain in Royal Garden Plaza, but they closed. One time at the lobby outlet in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital with thinly sliced salmon. Haven't looked elsewhere.

Edited by Suradit69

Now an Au Bon Pain in the new Index complex on Sukhumvit, just north ot P. Klang. Location is a problem for them right now, due to the construction. (Once you make a left turn off of Suk, you have a LONG way to go to U-turn back to the southbound lane, or get back to the east side sois.) I like the Au Bon Pain bagels, despite the fact that they're not the same as bagels made in the USA. They are fresh, and they taste good.

• Like 1

Same for bagels at villa. More or less just a bread roll.

The ones I saw in Central have that shiny look which, I think, indicates that they were boiled before being baked.

Nope.. They have these bagel machines that spray water on the dough while baking. It's not the same as boing them first.

• Like 1

Bon Au Pain also located in BKK PAT Hospital. Great bagels 40b each... but expensive, the rest.. are dough with a hole

PASTRAMI AND RYE in Jomtien do have fabulous fresh biscuits and gravy daily till 1100!

Edited by BigSkip

Central has had decent bagels sporadically, at least the one in Ploenchit (BKK). I assume they have central purchasing, so other branches might have them too.

Anyone who thinks the shiny white-bread-with-holes that Au Bon Pain sells are bagels wouldn't know a bagel if it fell on them from a great height.

Come to think of it, I would prefer to have the article from ABP fall on me. So light, no damage. A real bagel might kill ya...

As for "thinly sliced salmon", can we say "lox"? Utterly useless without a schmeer, and sliced onion. Tomato and capers, optional.

Hope Pattaya gets some, a civilizing influence.

Wow... I never went to Au Bon Pain (even though passing their shops thousands of times) cause I always thought it's some kind of cake and pastry shop. I just had a look at their website and the menu looks awesome. They seem to do a pretty bad job at advertising even though they are some large US chain?

By the way, they say this about their own bagels so they should be the real thing... gonna check it out anyway:

A bagel is a bread product traditionally made of yeasted wheat dough in a form of roughly hand-sized ring which is first boiled in water and then baked.

Edited by petercool
edited font and size

The ones I saw in Central have that shiny look which, I think, indicates that they were boiled before being baked.

Nope.. They have these bagel machines that spray water on the dough while baking. It's not the same as boing them first.

That's interesting.

Would Central sell enough bagels to warrant buying a machine rather than making them properly by hand?

Central has had decent bagels sporadically, at least the one in Ploenchit (BKK). I assume they have central purchasing, so other branches might have them too.

Anyone who thinks the shiny white-bread-with-holes that Au Bon Pain sells are bagels wouldn't know a bagel if it fell on them from a great height.

Come to think of it, I would prefer to have the article from ABP fall on me. So light, no damage. A real bagel might kill ya...

As for "thinly sliced salmon", can we say "lox"? Utterly useless without a schmeer, and sliced onion. Tomato and capers, optional.

Hope Pattaya gets some, a civilizing influence.

'As for "thinly sliced salmon", can we say "lox"? Utterly useless without a schmeer, and sliced onion. Tomato and capers, optional."

i didn't want to go out on a limb and call it lox for fear of being bombarded by purists ... and because I don't remember there being any cream cheese on hand. It wasn't lox. It wasn't smoked or brined it was simply thinly sliced salmon like you can buy in most large farang oriented Thai groceries... if you want to use the term properly.

While lox may be delicious, the term is quite confusing--what we now call lox, derived from the German word for salmon, lachs, is in fact smoked salmon. True lox is brined in a salty solution, which cures the fish, but also leaves a strong, salty taste. Today, lox is cured with a light salting and then cold-smoked, which provides the typical "Nova" or smoked salmon flavor. The word lox is now used interchangeably with smoked salmon, and the most popular Sunday-morning item sold at Zabar's in New York City--over 2500 pounds per week--is not "real lox" actually, but smoked salmon.

I thought the bagels I had from ABP were reasonably good and I have had them from totally authentic well patronized Jewish delis in Chicago.

I suppose some people feel being bagel snobs makes them appear discriminating.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Nope, the "bagels" at ABP don't rate.

As far as the boiling thing, people who know bagels can tell by the taste and texture.

It's not a matter of being a snob.

It's a matter of not being fooled.

Not everyone even likes authentic boiled bagels.

Noah's Bagels in the U.S. makes very nice non-boiled bagels.

I love Noah's bagels.

Purists would say they aren't even bagels ... but that doesn't matter, they taste great.

But I love a traditional boiled Montreal deli bagel much more.

Probably because that's the style I grew up with.

Nothing in Pattaya approaches either.

http://www.noahs.com/

I do get it.

We're in Pattaya, not New York and not even in Bangkok.

So if you want something resembling a bagel you buy what's here, make your own, or you just give up.

Personally I don't even bother with them here.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If we are going out of Thailand then Bagel Bake in Brick Lane London E1 , 24 hour Bagels on tap

Fantastic place

Great, fresh bagels and great salt beef bagels too

Ah. Now that's going on my to-do list for my next UK visit.

It will join a decent curry and some pie, mash and liquor. All of which can be had in the same area.

Cheap too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If we are going out of Thailand then Bagel Bake in Brick Lane London E1 , 24 hour Bagels on tap

Fantastic place

When I used tork night on LUL , we used to go every morning about 4am , cheese bagels were 10p and soup of the day was always minestrone. Always had to tell them to calm down with the English mustard on the Salt Beef Bagel

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fantastic place

Ah. Now that's going on my to-do list for my next UK visit.

It will join a decent curry and some pie, mash and liquor. All of which can be had in the same area.

Cheap too.

Yep get more than a decent curry down there. Sundays used to be a decent day , Bagels , beer and blaggers selling off the gear they'd nicked during the week. Not sure whatt its like there now , haven't been for years

Thanks for all the feedback. My finding was as follows; Continental Bakery bagels are also sold at Villa Market and they were not tasty and tasted nothing like I was hoping.

Central Mall bakery actually sold imported New York Bagels in three favors. Water, Rasin and Multi Gran for 45 baht each. They were fresh tasting and tasted like I was hoping. So there are real bagels to be purchased in Pattaya.

Compliment them at Macro as they sell Norwegian Smoked Salmon for 99 baht in the frozen section next to the whole Salmon. Or Central has they same product but it's 145 baht for 100 grams.