Thai former PM Yingluck to face trial over rice scheme: court

webfact

@ jayboy - Did you ever consider for one minute, that Yingluck may be receiving the treatment she deserves ? And all the admirable personal qualities in the world won't change that ?

Her personal qualities are irrelevant.

No wholly sane person believes the various procedures being deployed against Yingluck are fair or appropriate.Some may believe nonetheless that extraordinary measures are necessary to deal with an extraordinary problem - as they perceive it.This is not my viewpoint but I can see the logic behind it.

• Like 1

Rixalex. I actually agree with much of what you say.Her government was not impressive and she clearly wasn't up to it.I confess that I do admire her some of her personal qualities.

But I feel we are at cross purposes.I hold no brief for the RPPS and it had many flaws.My point is the treatment of Yingluck is prompted by almost totally different considerations.If you talk to well placed supporters of the current regime they don't even bother to deny it.

What treatment?

Asking questions? Giving her cupboards full of documents to read? Offering her a change to defend herself in Court? Life is tough, ain't it?

It seems you are struggling to comprehend the points being made.I'm not sure how it can be made any simpler for you.

Anyway one more time.Anti democracy forces are determined to neutralise Yingluck and put her out of circulation.That is what's driving current events not the RPPS.

Rixalex. I actually agree with much of what you say.Her government was not impressive and she clearly wasn't up to it.I confess that I do admire her some of her personal qualities.

But I feel we are at cross purposes.I hold no brief for the RPPS and it had many flaws.My point is the treatment of Yingluck is prompted by almost totally different considerations.If you talk to well placed supporters of the current regime they don't even bother to deny it.

What treatment?

Asking questions? Giving her cupboards full of documents to read? Offering her a change to defend herself in Court? Life is tough, ain't it?

It seems you are struggling to comprehend the points being made.I'm not sure how it can be made any simpler for you.

Anyway one more time.Anti democracy forces are determined to neutralise Yingluck and put her out of circulation.That is what's driving current events not the RPPS.

I'm struggling to comprehend how the points being made relate to the "negligence' case regarding the RPPS as Ms. Yingluck has been indicted for and will be charged with on the 19th of May.

Didn't Ms. Yingluck state to be in charge? Didn't her 'self-financing' scheme lose 700++ billion Baht? Wouldn't even pro-democracy people want a properly elected MP and PM to be responsible in spending taxpayers money? Wouldn't any voter like to see the person in charge also accepting the responsibility which goes with it?

How much more simpler do you want it?

Obviously any abuses need to be investigated as with any other pieces of misgovernment.The impeachment and criminal prosecution of the PM is however ridiculous and inappropriate.I have explained what is really driving this charade.Informed people including her enemies understand all this perfectly well.I'm not sure I can educate you further.

• Like 2

I'm struggling to comprehend how the points being made relate to the "negligence' case regarding the RPPS as Ms. Yingluck has been indicted for and will be charged with on the 19th of May.

Didn't Ms. Yingluck state to be in charge? Didn't her 'self-financing' scheme lose 700++ billion Baht? Wouldn't even pro-democracy people want a properly elected MP and PM to be responsible in spending taxpayers money? Wouldn't any voter like to see the person in charge also accepting the responsibility which goes with it?

How much more simpler do you want it?

Obviously any abuses need to be investigated as with any other pieces of misgovernment.The impeachment and criminal prosecution of the PM is however ridiculous and inappropriate.I have explained what is really driving this charade.Informed people including her enemies understand all this perfectly well.I'm not sure I can educate you further.

You have explained your opinion. That's fine. You do not need to educate me as that would suggest you feel your opinion is of such value that obviously anyone should have the same opinion and with proper education would. BTW are you a closet junta lover, supporting attitude adjustments?

The 'ridiculous and inappropriate' is your opinion. You seem to like to disregard all evidence, lots of which we have to thank Ms. Yingluck for as she liked to be on television stating things.

Seems you do need to be educated as from your response....you still don't get it.

You have explained your opinion. That's fine. You do not need to educate me as that would suggest you feel your opinion is of such value that obviously anyone should have the same opinion and with proper education would. BTW are you a closet junta lover, supporting attitude adjustments?

The 'ridiculous and inappropriate' is your opinion. You seem to like to disregard all evidence, lots of which we have to thank Ms. Yingluck for as she liked to be on television stating things.

Seems you do need to be educated as from your response....you still don't get it.

Another closet junta lover who wants to correct attitudes and obviously non-conform opinions need to be weeded out.

BTW even Channel 7 just a minutes ago on news showed parts of Ms. Yingluck's facebook page. I wasn't paying much attention, but it could have been the part where her PR team wrote about 'expecting justice and the chance to explain herself'.

Umm ok, but that's not what jayboy is talking about.

BTW, no idea who you are calling a junta lover.

I know of a better punishment for her, force her to live as a rice farmer for 5 years, in their sort of house and with their sort of income,she might learn a little humility.

If we are talking humility, i am sure it would be far more amusing seeing some of the elite living in Issan and the north pre 2001. They probably would kill themselves in one night. Now you find electric, water, internet in most places. It has come on leaps and bounds.

People in many of these places have long memories and they see the progress that has been made in their everyday life since 2001. Whether this is using the country money or not, he was the first person to even consider them.

Maybe the military and the Bangkok elites should be asking themselves would TS ever of got to where he is if they had shown a bit more compassion and caring for their fellow Thai's prior to that rather than treating them as meaningless slaves and worse whilst they feathered their own nests for centuries.

I completely agree on that, TS was one of the few who actually brought the poor into his equations albeit for his own advantage but never the less he got results which bettered the lives of the rural people. It was unfortunate that due to his greed he lost his chance of greatness, he lost his chance of going down in Thai history as the most benevolent and successful prime minister ever. He used the naivety of the farmers to gain power and with free bee's which no longer had the effect of bettering their lives in a sustainable way, just the opposite in the long term, he managed to get voted back to power time and time again until he became a liability to the country. The noble stag lost his antlers.

Another closet junta lover who wants to correct attitudes and obviously non-conform opinions need to be weeded out.

BTW even Channel 7 just a minutes ago on news showed parts of Ms. Yingluck's facebook page. I wasn't paying much attention, but it could have been the part where her PR team wrote about 'expecting justice and the chance to explain herself'.

Umm ok, but that's not what jayboy is talking about.

BTW, no idea who you are calling a junta lover.

Right, jayboy doesn't seem to be talking about the topic, about Ms. Yingluck to face trial at the Supreme Court and getting justice by being able to explain herself assuming she'll finally explain herself rather than obfuscate about how wonderful the RPPS was and how it reached all the right people.

He is very much on topic. Yet again your comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure if you you ask someone to explain it the penny may drop. Maybe not.

Rametindallas

I'd say this is a case of dumb and dumber (brother's name?............ and guard's name?................) and like everything else you outline, one can see it was definitely an inside job. However, as in many similar situations the mastermind remains aloof while the flunkies (names?................) take the fall. Stupidity and incompetence plays a big role, so does a third factor, that of criminal negligence. And yes, the guard should be held accountable for the losses, as it was through that criminal neglect in failing to secure the trough that it allowed the bottom feeders ( Names?.............) in for the feeding frenzy and subsequent loss/disappearance of amount?.......... billion baht. Feel free to add or substitute whatever names and figures you see fit.

Edited by Si Thea01

Just out of curiosity. Did the scheme give the poor farmers a better standard of living? Begs the question because what i have read is she paid them double what they would have got at market prices. I have never read any reports of Suthep Thaugsuban giving the palm farmers double the market price when they where forced to sell it all to him at rock bottom prices which then made his palm oil refinery monopoly billions. Still i suppose it OK to lose money when it goes in the right pockets.

She didn't increase our living standard and we are still owed for one harvest and the price for rice is on the floor, politicians are like economists, they don't know sh*t.

I agree soalbundy............don't mention the Shins in my wife's home village in Surin, it is a dirty word. Last time I was there, for the last harvest, everyone was angry about the prices they received for their crop and blamed Yingluck's government directly for it.

Some posters prove their ignorance every time they post and I doubt if they have any direct dealings with struggling rice farmers.

Trying to shift the spotlight to the Sutheps and Abhisits is never going to erase the Shin's crimes, but it makes the red fans feel better. thumbsup.gif

I hope the CDC takes the time to peruse this forum for the wise offerings of the TVF Yellows.

No need for referendums or elections in the new Thai constitution - just send someone to Mikemac's wifes home village and query a couple of locals.

Has there ever been a more perfect and flawless system developed for determining the wishes of 68 million people?

clap2.gif

So, ignoring the 700++ billion Baht lost in a 'self-financing' scheme, obfuscation by Ms. Yingluck and her band of hand-picked ministers, being in charge and demanding justice is the way to go? Obviously it's all political otherwise no one would bother about 700++ billion Baht, or little white lies, or corruption, or fake G2G deals as that's the norm for a democratic country?

I'm afraid the country needs more than a penny as in November 2014 the BAAC was still waiting for 750 billion Baht. Left an annoying gap in their accounting system it would seem.

It is my experience BAAC contracts to buy rice from many producers directly

Your comment might suggest the producers received at least 750 billion

750 billion intended to reach the producer - right?

So, ignoring the 700++ billion Baht lost in a 'self-financing' scheme, obfuscation by Ms. Yingluck and her band of hand-picked ministers, being in charge and demanding justice is the way to go? Obviously it's all political otherwise no one would bother about 700++ billion Baht, or little white lies, or corruption, or fake G2G deals as that's the norm for a democratic country?

I'm afraid the country needs more than a penny as in November 2014 the BAAC was still waiting for 750 billion Baht. Left an annoying gap in their accounting system it would seem.

Don't ask me, ask BAAC President Luck

2014-09-17

"Luck estimated the government still owed BAAC about 750 billion baht in debt related to the scheme."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/17/us-thailand-rice-debt-idUSKBN0HC10Q20140917

• Like 1

Put her in prison and remove all the wealth of the family.......make there name illegal. Get rid of Cancerwatra once and for ever.

Interesting suggestion, but it needs to be rejected. Apart from the fact that that is hardly the type of justice Ms. Yingluck expects, it's also against a few laws. Let's stick to those, shall we

• Like 1

Sorry but your experience is slightly wrong .

The Govt contracted to buy the rice from the farmers through the mills, the BAAC was contracted (for a percentage) to pay out the money to the farmers that was supposed to be given to it by the Govt.

According to a Thailand Development Research Institute report :

The Thailand Development Research Institute found that the country spent up to Bt985 billion buying 54.4 million tonnes of paddy in two and a half years under the scrapped rice-pledging scheme but most of the Bt560-billion producer surplus went to medium-to-large-scale farmers.

That did not include accounting costs:

According to the paper “Corruption in the Paddy Pledging Policy”, which was compiled by TDRI distinguished fellow Nipon Poapongsakorn and a group of researchers, the institute also found that the scheme’s accounting cost as of April was estimated at Bt519.5 billion.

There are also storage costs to be added to that plus all costs since that report was produced in April 2014.

As you can see the total spent on the scheme is well over 1.5 billion with 560 million reaching the farmers.

You do understand that this mean that the little farmers sold it to the medium sized farmers who sold it on.

Do you suppose that the little farmers sold their product for more or less than the previous year knowing that the prices had risen? Ummmmmm. Of course they did.

That doesn't mean that the system was perfect but it doesn't mean that every little farmer in the country didn't get paid either. Prices went up.

Sorry but your experience is slightly wrong .

The Govt contracted to buy the rice from the farmers through the mills, the BAAC was contracted (for a percentage) to pay out the money to the farmers that was supposed to be given to it by the Govt.

According to a Thailand Development Research Institute report :

The Thailand Development Research Institute found that the country spent up to Bt985 billion buying 54.4 million tonnes of paddy in two and a half years under the scrapped rice-pledging scheme but most of the Bt560-billion producer surplus went to medium-to-large-scale farmers.

That did not include accounting costs:

According to the paper “Corruption in the Paddy Pledging Policy”, which was compiled by TDRI distinguished fellow Nipon Poapongsakorn and a group of researchers, the institute also found that the scheme’s accounting cost as of April was estimated at Bt519.5 billion.

There are also storage costs to be added to that plus all costs since that report was produced in April 2014.

As you can see the total spent on the scheme is well over 1.5 billion with 560 million reaching the farmers.

You do understand that this mean that the little farmers sold it to the medium sized farmers who sold it on.

Do you suppose that the little farmers sold their product for more or less than the previous year knowing that the prices had risen? Ummmmmm. Of course they did.

That doesn't mean that the system was perfect but it doesn't mean that every little farmer in the country didn't get paid either. Prices went up.

Don't know how you worked out that the small farmers sold rice to medium sized farmers.

However you now have the numbers so do the math yourself.

The Govt bought 54.4 million tons of paddy and the farmers received 560 million baht for that quantity of rice.

Tell us how much the farmers received on average per ton of paddy they sold.

Then correlate that with the supposed price of 20,000 per ton for Hom mali and 15,000 per ton for other grades.

Then as a great defender of the scheme you should be able to explain the difference.

• Like 2