Tax Sticker Fine in Pattaya ?

Spellforce

Why wouldn't you just renew it instead of breaking the law and taking your chances with the police? It's only 100 Baht a year to renew. I see no plausible reason not to have an up to date tax disc at all times. When I renew mine every year it takes me less than 10 minutes at the Chatuchak department of land transport in Bangkok.

+ insurance, but your point is a good one,

• Like 1

I have been stopped twice in Pattaya at large scale check points where they were looking for tax discs and licenses as well. They stopped all bikes, Thai and farang and emphasis was on tax disc.

Why wouldn't you just renew it instead of breaking the law and taking your chances with the police? It's only 100 Baht a year to renew. I see no plausible reason not to have an up to date tax disc at all times. When I renew mine every year it takes me less than 10 minutes at the Chatuchak department of land transport in Bangkok.

+ vehicle test if it is over five years old.

Apologies, I did not know it was a bike forum. Here is my experience. A Canadian went home for chemotherapy & asked me to take of his pickup. I decided to give it a run to charge the battery. I got stopped 7 kms down the road at The Ambassador checkpoint. The police pointed out that the tax disc was 5 months out of date and wrote me a ticket. No complaints - my error. The ticket was for a fine of 300 baht to redeem my licence.

If everyone installed a Car Video Camera in thier vehicle 90% of the problems could be solved.

Protect your self!

How in the world is having a Car Video Camera going to effect the illegal and stupid things other drivers do here?

What am I going to do, pull over to a police check point and show them the video of what the idiot in front of me just did ?

Lack of enforcement is the problem, not CYA

You do have to pay a fine when you renew your tax disc too late, the fine is 2 baht per month, no joke.

Unless it has gone down, the fine for a motorcycle is 1 Baht/day.

It's 1 baht per month.

I've just checked my green book.

Three times I was late by one day and got hit by a 1 Baht charge.

But I was also late by a week once and also got the 1 Baht charge.

Guess it must be 1 Baht/month. My bad.

I have been stopped twice in Pattaya at large scale check points where they were looking for tax discs and licenses as well. They stopped all bikes, Thai and farang and emphasis was on tax disc.

Glad u said Farangs AND Thais, i am glad you this, as many think its only farangs that get stopped.

If everyone installed a Car Video Camera in thier vehicle 90% of the problems could be solved.

Protect your self!

How in the world is having a Car Video Camera going to effect the illegal and stupid things other drivers do here?

What am I going to do, pull over to a police check point and show them the video of what the idiot in front of me just did ?

He must be a conspiracy theorist hahahahah.

Protect your self!

A camera would be good evidence in the event of an accident or road incident. CYA, in my opinion, is a personal choice. As they say "Up to you".

Yes, + mandatory minimum insurance, your right, but the two together are less than 1,000 Baht still.

So they never charge more eh.ok i was out by 2 days my falt got the ticket in 2nd road down to the cop shop along with about 40 others,this was November just gone 2000 baht i complained was bought down to 1500 you can't win must have wanted an expensive gift for Xmas,i won't forget again as an add on i went to post office soi 5 renewed and received sticker and book back about 3 weeks later (they rang me when ready,great service.

The official fine is 400 Baht. You can verify this at the sign at the police station in soi 9. Sometimes they charge less than what is written on the sign, but never more.

That is only the fine for no insurance, sorry.

You do have to pay a fine when you renew your tax disc too late, the fine is 2 baht per month, no joke.

Unless it has gone down, the fine for a motorcycle is 1 Baht/day.

It's 1 baht per month.

I've just checked my green book.

Three times I was late by one day and got hit by a 1 Baht charge.

But I was also late by a week once and also got the 1 Baht charge.

Guess it must be 1 Baht/month. My bad.

Actually, the late fee on road tax is 1% of the yearly tax fee per month.

Yes, it’ll equate to 1 Baht/month for a bike, but more noticeable when late with the car.

In Bangkok, I've never had a police officer ask for or even look at the tax sticker.

It's up to date but I keep it under the seat as it's ugly/I'm worried it will get stolen.

I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever go to Pattaya.

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhat related question... what papers do you need to carry with you on your motorcycle or car? Obviously a proper drivers license and up to date tax sticker, but what about the registration paper that comes with the sticker, proof of insurance, etc.?

Somewhat related question... what papers do you need to carry with you on your motorcycle or car? Obviously a proper drivers license and up to date tax sticker, but what about the registration paper that comes with the sticker, proof of insurance, etc.?

I carry tax disc, insurance/registration paper (one in the same that you have to renew when renewing your tax disc), and a copy of all the current pages from your ownership book (green book).

• Like 1