CBR650F Fender Eliminator Kit

WingNut

I am sure this question has been asked before a number of times, so I am sorry if I am being redundant here, but what is the favored locally made fender eliminator kit for the CBR650F?

I know that Yoshi makes one for around US$150 and an Australian made one from Mustard for around US$75, but there are cheaper Thai made ones for a bit over 1,000 Baht.

I saw these two on the K-Speed web site (scroll down the links all the way to see the products), which don't look bad, but I want to keep my stock turn signals. I don't want to change to some small LED turn signals.

http://k-speed.net/product.detail_1055880_th_5932248

http://k-speed.net/product.detail_1055880_th_5914405

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure you can use the stock indicators with those kits.

That would be great.

Yes I've seen a couple of guys using standard indicators with the fender kits, sort of defeats the minimalist look imo but they do work :-)

Thanks, I am not actually going for a minimalist look or any kind of look really. I would leave it stock actually except now I decided I want to be able to shoot action video from a position of looking out from my back tire and the stock fender gets in the way. I want to keep the stock turn signals for better visability. I often pull to the side of the road to do something and I use my hazard lights. If I replaced the turn signals with those tiny LED turn signals they would be a lot less visible from a distance.

Having looked more closely at all of them, and trying to compare the best I can from the small photos on each of the sites, I think the one made by Motive and sold by K-Speed for 1,200 Baht makes the most sense:

http://k-speed.net/product.detail_1055880_th_5914405#

The design is good, price reasonable, has an LED light for the license plate, and I think it is adjustable in terms of the pitch angle of the license plate.

Some of the others, like the more expensive one made by MotoRun for 1,990 Baht is nice in that the assembly is a bit smaller and the metal looks a bit heartier, but it seems to be in a fixed position and you can't change the display angle of the license plate:

http://www.kdprojectracing.com/product/479/tail-tidy-motorun-cb-cbr-650-f

I see most guys have their plates pointing up at the sky, but I would perhaps prefer to be able to choose how much tilt up or down it has.

post-170983-0-98816900-1426838808_thumb.

Edited by WingNut

Actually this one by Phoenix I posted earlier isn't bad either. It has an adjustable tilt too and it looks like the Dragon Fly made by CK MotoX that I said was only available for the ER6:

http://www.furiishop.com/product/detail/%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%20phoenix%20for%20cb650

I like that it has an extra mount to add a reflector below the license plate, but I am not sure if it is worth another 700 Baht just for that function?

The Phoenix though is longer and perhaps nearly as long as the original fender and will probably block more of the view out the back of the bike. Since my objective is to make the space above the back tire as open as possible for shooting video out the back, then perhaps the Motive one is still the better option.

post-170983-0-47051400-1426839290_thumb.

Edited by WingNut

Do think about the coming rain season, makes a world of difference on your back :)

Thanks and good point. If it's raining though I'll take my 250 which still has the stock fender, but most likely I won't ride at all. Could always get caught in the rain though I guess. That's a risk of course.

I put on one of those Motive brand fender eliminator kits today from K-Speed for 1,200 Baht and some LED turn signals for another 400 Baht.

I did the install myself. The kit was definitely inexpensive, but I discovered a number of short comings.

1 - The original fender is held on by 3 bolts. The kit only uses 2. This makes the kit setup less sturdy and leaves an exposed hole under the seat where the missing 3rd bolt goes. So I filled it with a bolt just to close the hole back up.

2 - The two bolts they give you are not really wide enough and can easily pass through the hole in the frame of the kit so I added some washers myself to make the bolts less likely to fall through and the kit less likely to fall off the bike one day.

3 - The kit comes with adapters to attach the original turn signals, but they are not well designed, so I ended up having to go with aftermarket LED turn signals which I didn't want to have to do. The LED signals look nice and bright, but they are a bit more smallish than I expected and pretty junky quality and I am also pretty sure they aren't water proof. I don't think they will hold up in the rain at all. Maybe need to see if I can eventually find some better quality ones that will fit this kit.

4 - The kit also leaves two largish exposed holes where the wiring passes through under the seat. On the original fender the housing covers those holes. Now I have to think about hitting the holes with silicone to seal them up better or water and dust could start to build up in the compartment under the seat.

5 - The license plate light they provide is complete garbage so I didn't even put it on. So my pate isn't lit up right now, but I'm not fussed. Maybe I'll look for a better LED light for the plate at some point. post-170983-14272012724132_thumb.jpgpost-170983-14272012839451_thumb.jpgpost-170983-14272013029148_thumb.jpg

6 - The kit isn't really strong enough they say to support the weight of an extra license plate frame so they tell you to attach the plate with double sided 3M tape, so that's what I did.

Edited by WingNut