Brisbane consulate a lot stricter now

It used to be you went into the Brisbane consulate and filled out the forms and you got your visa right away. Now they require confirmed tickets into and out of Thailand and overnight processing. This is just for a tourist visa. They also took a copy of confirmed hotel bookings. They must be really cracking down.

It's strange when a consulate starts making it harder for themselves to issue much needed revenue generating visas.

A consulate funds itself by selling visas, this is why they have always been very eager to sell them to anyone who cares to stop by.

Something similar has been happening in various other locations around the world since some time last summer.

I can't quite figure out what's going on but it's clear that something's happening.

This will hurt the consulates financially and there's no way they would do this of their own free will.

I could understand the central Embassy in a country wanting additional control over the issuance of 1 year business visas or 'O' visas but for simple tourist visas it makes very little sense for a country like Thailand which is trying to increase tourist numbers to tighten the strings and make things harder.

When it's harder/slightly more work to get a visa less people come.

When it comes to travel I take the path of least resistance which means visa on arrival, visa exemption or very simple visa procedures. These days I never book a flight before I'm guaranteed to get the visa.

Edited by ukrules

It's strange when a consulate starts making it harder for themselves to issue much needed revenue generating visas.

A consulate funds itself by selling visas, this is why they have always been very eager to sell them to anyone who cares to stop by.

Something similar has been happening in various other locations around the world since some time last summer.

I can't quite figure out what's going on but it's clear that something's happening.

This will hurt the consulates financially and there's no way they would do this of their own free will.

I could understand the central Embassy in a country wanting additional control over the issuance of 1 year business visas or 'O' visas but for simple tourist visas it makes very little sense for a country like Thailand which is trying to increase tourist numbers to tighten the strings and make things harder.

When it comes to travel I take the path of least resistance which means visa on arrival, visa exemption or very simple visa procedures. These days I never book a flight before I'm guaranteed to get the visa.

When I go to Australia I have to apply for a Visa every time and I think all Non-Citizens or Permanent Residents do. If Thailand wants to tighten up their regulations to stop criminals, people coming on tourist visas and working, over staying etc why not. If anyone is a genuine tourist why should they mind? Can these be done by post? Hardly a major amount of work.

The difference is that Australia is a rich country where people are constantly trying to come in and work illegally and take jobs from Australians. The only jobs that farangs can do in thailand are usually ones Thais can't do (such as teaching proper english). No farang is coming to thailand to take ordinary jobs from Thais as that would mean working for 9000 baht per month, and having to be able to speak fluent thai. Having said that, Thailand is still one of the easiest countries to get a tourist visa for. It's just that the trend is that it is becoming more strict.

• Like 2

Just another message to tourists that they are not really welcome. The response is simple - go instead to other countries that don't have such an obstructive attitude. And I wonder why the Brisbane Consulate General has resigned? Doesn't agree with the demands sent from on high?

I used to go to the Consulate in Melbourne for my Marriage O Multi. The Consulate General was an Aussie, a dentist by profession I believe. He left and was replaced by a Thai and suddenly what had been routine became difficult. A letter was demanded signed by my wife stating we were still married, for example.They gave me a fax number it should be sent to and gave me a Sydney number in error. Then when I asked how they could possibly know it was genuinely from my wife they threatened not to issue the visa at all and send me to Canberra. Then the photo needed wasn't suitable and I, and a stream of others, had to go to a nearby pharmacy, Thai-owned, to get photos taken there. Everything a Thai touches must be complicated, and tinged with corruption.

• Like 2

The difference is that Australia is a rich country where people are constantly trying to come in and work illegally and take jobs from Australians. The only jobs that farangs can do in thailand are usually ones Thais can't do (such as teaching proper english). No farang is coming to thailand to take ordinary jobs from Thais as that would mean working for 9000 baht per month, and having to be able to speak fluent thai. Having said that, Thailand is still one of the easiest countries to get a tourist visa for. It's just that the trend is that it is becoming more strict.

Also a visa for Oz from some countries is a very simple process. I took my Malay girl to Oz and it took her 10 minutes online to do it via electronic visa. No proof of flights or accommodation required. Think the cost was about AU$20.

A lot must have changed at the Brisbane Consulate since late January 2015 when my wife and I obtained out double entry tourist visas. At that time, I actually rang them prior to attending with our paperwork asking if an onward ticket was required. They stated it was not. Went early the next day and picked up the passports a few hours later. All good. Gee Thais know how to move the goal posts at the drop of a hat. Unbelievable how each Thai Consulate from different parts of the world interpret their own country's guidelines.....

• Like 1

I can remember when the Perth office was an oasis of simplicity, speed, and assistance.

The reason that the Thai gov makes this simple process needlessly complicated, demeaning, and timeconsuming, has nothing to do with preventing criminals from entering the country (there are enough already), but I won't go into detail.

For tourist visas the Perth Consulate has requested return ticket for the past 18 months I have been dealing with them, no accommodation proof requested though.

Sorry, but no it hasn't (at least via mail,) applied in January this year, no return ticket, no problems.

Only thing I'd gripe about Perth is that the year before I went through Brisbane (again mail, and from country WA) and I was given 6 months on my double entry to enter, Perth only gave me 3 months...from when I applied, not when I entered. Going to get a 30 day extension next week, but I'll have to do a border run just over 2 weeks later to make sure I'll get my second entry.

For tourist visas the Perth Consulate has requested return ticket for the past 18 months I have been dealing with them, no accommodation proof requested though.

Sorry, but no it hasn't (at least via mail,) applied in January this year, no return ticket, no problems.

Only thing I'd gripe about Perth is that the year before I went through Brisbane (again mail, and from country WA) and I was given 6 months on my double entry to enter, Perth only gave me 3 months...from when I applied, not when I entered. Going to get a 30 day extension next week, but I'll have to do a border run just over 2 weeks later to make sure I'll get my second entry.

I wonder if there is any other country which applies the rules in different ways in different offices on different days and with whatever rule the officer decides to impose at that hour. Either there are rules or there are not, so why are individuals and offices allowed to decide what they will apply and when? Just one example, in Laos - Savannakhet issues non-O multiple entries, Vientiane does not. Why? What is the rule, and what are the grounds for Vientiane refusing? Why does one town have one rule and another town another? WHAT IS THE LAW?

Apparently the Brisbane Consulate General is not just cracking down but it is closing as the Honourary Consulate General has resigned.

http://www.thaiconsulate.org

I believe all the honorary consulates are funded by the fees they collect from issuing visas.

If they take away the ability of an honorary consulate to fund itself then they will eventually close.

This is where it gets interesting as the honorary consulates aren't just appointed by some official at the local embassy, they're appointed by the King himself.

Why did he resign I wonder ? Has anyone heard anything ?

Someone I know went there and got a triple entry visa only about a month ago so they were operating normally very recently.

Maybe the wrong forum, but can anyone tell me, as a brit can i travel to Australia from Thailand on a tourist visa and then find work as a bricklayer and change to the apropriate visa in Australia. My wife s expecting our 3rd baby and i cant afford to be here any longer.

Didn't you get it ?

TAT and all thai found out, they can fill up all number of tourists just by Chinese !

Not to get problem with bad remarks about Chines from other foreigners,

they decided kick out all foreigners, except Chinese,

no complaints oany more,

only 1 language to learn for their kids : Chinese;

they can go back to their old style of toilett,

easy cleaning, just wait monsoon,

so its just the start to close consulates down;

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just another message to tourists that they are not really welcome. The response is simple - go instead to other countries that don't have such an obstructive attitude. And I wonder why the Brisbane Consulate General has resigned? Doesn't agree with the demands sent from on high?

I used to go to the Consulate in Melbourne for my Marriage O Multi. The Consulate General was an Aussie, a dentist by profession I believe. He left and was replaced by a Thai and suddenly what had been routine became difficult. A letter was demanded signed by my wife stating we were still married, for example.They gave me a fax number it should be sent to and gave me a Sydney number in error. Then when I asked how they could possibly know it was genuinely from my wife they threatened not to issue the visa at all and send me to Canberra. Then the photo needed wasn't suitable and I, and a stream of others, had to go to a nearby pharmacy, Thai-owned, to get photos taken there. Everything a Thai touches must be complicated, and tinged with corruption.

Had a similar experience at the Consulate in Saudi Arabia. I wanted a 3 month visa which I was available to me. The Thai guy behind the counter got very stroppy and almost was shouting then his boss came out. I explained everything to him and he told me no problem. They wanted to see my marriage certificate which he said I could bring in the next morning when I collected my visa. I did and everything was fine.

It was the stroppy jumped up guy who was objectionable not his bossor the system.

Many of these little hitlers make up the rules they want to see but the rules which their boss's follow

Edited by gandalf12

Had a similar experience at the Consulate in Saudi Arabia. I wanted a 3 month visa which I was available to me. The Thai guy behind the counter got very stroppy and almost was shouting then his boss came out. I explained everything to him and he told me no problem. They wanted to see my marriage certificate which he said I could bring in the next morning when I collected my visa. I did and everything was fine.

It was the stroppy jumped up guy who was objectionable not his bossor the system.

Many of these little hitlers make up the rules they want to see but the rules which their boss's follow

There also to say that youe expectation of being issued a visa for reason of marriage, without showing the marriage certificate, were a little optimistic weren't they ?

Must be a mail thing, last tourist visa I applied for was Jan 2015 a photocopy of return ticket was required.

Maybe the wrong forum, but can anyone tell me, as a brit can i travel to Australia from Thailand on a tourist visa and then find work as a bricklayer and change to the appropriate visa in Australia. My wife s expecting our 3rd baby and i cant afford to be here any longer.

Short answer - depends on what you mean by the text I put in bold. Because if you do it illegally and get caught you'll be on the next plane home.

Longer answer - if you were to go by the book, yes it could be done, given that there's a shortage of brikkies in Oz now I believe (apprentices not being taken on at the bottom of the chain). You'd have to find an employer to sponsor you on a 457 visa. And by the time all that got approved while waiting during your non-working time on the tourist visa your wife might no longer be pregnant. 555

And yes, you should post in the Visas and migration to other countries forum.

Each country sets its own rules. Although I may not agree with them, I'm not in charge and have two options, comply or not.

The OP was passing on information from his experience, which was quickly followed by various objections from all angles. I suppose that is what this forum is all about, but It does not alter the fact that the requirements are at the pleasure of those in charge.

not being funny but why would this be a message that tourists are not welcome

OK so it might be a little more information required to get the visa but it's not information that people going on holiday won't have readily available, maybe I'm missing something

• 2 weeks later...

Unless they replaced the British-Aussie guy there in the last few months, he's still there. I got my non-B multi in Melbourne in October and he was the consul at the time. Couldn't have been easier and both him and the Thai staff were easy going and friendly. Yes they made a bit of a deal about photos, but apart from that, it was easy.

Edited by Tomtomtom69