Hawaii property where 'Magnum, P.I.' filmed sold

webfact

Hawaii property where 'Magnum, P.I.' filmed sold

HONOLULU (AP) — A sprawling beachfront home used in the filming of the 1980s television show "Magnum, P.I." has been sold for $8.7 million.

An attorney for President Barack Obama's close friend Marty Nesbitt said Thursday that his client bought the property. Seth Madorsky says Nesbitt didn't have any partners or co-investors in the deal.

The 3-acre (1.21-hectare) property is in Waimanalo, next to the town of Kailua, where the Obama family has spent the winter holidays in recent years.

Tom Selleck's character lived in the house on "Magnum P.I." It was known as "Robin's Nest" on the show.

Nesbitt is a Chicago businessman who served as treasurer for Obama's first presidential run. He is currently the chairman of the Barack Obama Foundation, which will build the president's future library.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-20

$8.7 million seems awfully cheap for that place. One room shacks in Honolulu go for $500,000 or more. Something doesn't smell right.

It does seem very cheap....it's waterfront, right?

Mind you, it's not downtown Honolulu.

Perhaps the neighbours are undesirable.

$8.7 million seems awfully cheap for that place. One room shacks in Honolulu go for $500,000 or more. Something doesn't smell right.

Bear in mind that Waimanalo is a mini-ghetto. The secessionist movement in Hawaii is based in Waimanalo and most of the town is similar to Waianae-Nanakuli on the leeward coast. In other words, mostly poor, homesteaders, who are mixed-race Hawaiians.

It's not Kailua-Lanikai where the haoles live. The Paul Mitchell estate in Lanikai I think is valued at $30 million and is the most expensive residential property in Hawaii. Although this Waimanalo property is beachfront, the neighborhoods to the east (Kailua-Lanikai) and to the southwest (Hawaii Kai) have higher valuations because of the communities, access to decent retail stores, better roads and schools.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that Waimanalo is a mini-ghetto. The secessionist movement in Hawaii is based in Waimanalo and most of the town is similar to Waianae-Nanakuli on the leeward coast. In other words, mostly poor, homesteaders, who are mixed-race Hawaiians.

It's not Kailua-Lanikai where the haoles live. The Paul Mitchell estate in Lanikai I think is valued at $30 million and is the most expensive residential property in Hawaii. Although this Waimanalo property is beachfront, the neighborhoods to the east (Kailua-Lanikai) and to the southwest (Hawaii Kai) have higher valuations because of the communities, access to decent retail stores, better roads and schools.

So I surmised correctly?

Zydeco's "fishy smell" (in connection to Obama, I guess), was unfounded?

So I surmised correctly?

Keep your paranoid guessing to yourself, please. As it happens, I'm a big fan of the show. That's the entire reason I went into the thread.

• Like 1

So I surmised correctly?

Keep your paranoid guessing to yourself, please. As it happens, I'm a big fan of the show. That's the entire reason I went into the thread.

I suggest you look up "paranoid" before accusing someone of it.

Non sequitur for all the rest you said.

It is indeed ocean front property, and though close to Waimanalo I don't really think of the property as being in Waimanalo.

CorrectSite.jpg

fixedw_large_4x.jpg

post-100040-0-03896400-1426869139_thumb.

• Like 1

Me too. Remember, Obama receives Secret Service protection for life. That means that if he's going to stay there the government will have to spend millions upgrading security, and there will have to be quarters built or improved for the SS. All on someone's private property.

I remember when GWB bought his place in Texas and the government went to work making it "suitable." Millions were spent.

This investor is pretty savvy.

Me too. Remember, Obama receives Secret Service protection for life. That means that if he's going to stay there the government will have to spend millions upgrading security, and there will have to be quarters built or improved for the SS. All on someone's private property.

I remember when GWB bought his place in Texas and the government went to work making it "suitable." Millions were spent.

This investor is pretty savvy.

I believe the law was changed, post Clinton. Secret Service protection will be provided to an ex-president for 10 years. After that, it is the ex-president's responsibility to provide any needed security.

Just to throw a little interest on this purchase.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obamas may be buying ‘Magnum, P.I.’ home in Hawaii
The three-acre beachfront estate was purchased this week in a mysterious transaction involving a prominent Obama friend and one of his major donors.
By NICK GASS and DAVID NATHER 3/19/15 2:32 PM EDT Updated 3/20/15 2:06 PM EDT
When he’s done being president, could Barack Obama grow a mustache, don a Hawaiian shirt, and start driving a red Ferrari?
Obama loves Hawaii – the land of his childhood, the place where he can retreat to spectacular beaches and shaved ice — and his presidential vacations there have become a ritual. But now, Hawaii residents are wondering if they could see him actually taking up residence there again, and in one of the island’s most famous properties, no less: the “Magnum, P.I.” house.
Story Continued Below

Just to throw a little interest on this purchase.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obamas may be buying ‘Magnum, P.I.’ home in Hawaii
The three-acre beachfront estate was purchased this week in a mysterious transaction involving a prominent Obama friend and one of his major donors.
By NICK GASS and DAVID NATHER 3/19/15 2:32 PM EDT Updated 3/20/15 2:06 PM EDT
When he’s done being president, could Barack Obama grow a mustache, don a Hawaiian shirt, and start driving a red Ferrari?
Obama loves Hawaii – the land of his childhood, the place where he can retreat to spectacular beaches and shaved ice — and his presidential vacations there have become a ritual. But now, Hawaii residents are wondering if they could see him actually taking up residence there again, and in one of the island’s most famous properties, no less: the “Magnum, P.I.” house.
Story Continued Below

Well, there goes the neighborhood. It's going to be hell for the people living around the place. Imagine the secret service checkpoints, the control of the air space, coast guard stationed off the beaches. The neighbors won't be able to so much as fly a kite there. This is what happens when you pave paradise and put in a parking lot.

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1