Jomtien Immigration Trip Report

Started the morning of the 18th with a trip to the U.S. embassy to get my document of income. I had a 1:15 appointment but got there early and got in and out around 10:30. This got me back to Jomtien Immigration at 2:20 p.m. with all the right documents.

Nice to hear your positive report. I find Jomtien to be quite efficient and accommodating too.

Just as a heads up in case you didn't know. The embassy has a Consular Outreach to Pattaya 4 times a year, usually at the Dusit Resort, You can do income verification, passport renewal etc. when they are there. While the bank manager's letter (if you use the money in the bank method) has to be issued no more than a day or so before you go to immigrations, the embassay affidavit needs only to be less than 6 months old. I usually go to the Outreach that comes nearest to my renewal date, but that still means the letter is a few months old when I renew my extension. It has always been accepted at Jomtien without question.

The Outreach schedule can be found here http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/consular_outreach.html

and there's usually a notice posted on Thai Visa as well. If you sign up the embassy emails, they'll also notify you that way.

The American Citizen Services section of the American Embassy in Bangkok is pleased to inform you of our upcoming Embassy consular visits in 2015. Consular staff will be available to provide services in many locations across Thailand on the following dates:

The following consular services will be available:

• Passport renewal applications
  • Notarial services
  • Embassy registration and/or address change for on-line information
  • Social Security, VA or other federal benefits questions
Edited by Suradit69

I find Jomtien to be quite efficient and accommodating too.

To use the word "efficient" I would expect Jomtien Immigration

to not ask us to come back later to get our passport... (in the afternoon or the following day)

Seriously, they have all our "immigration life" on their computer

and for most of us its every year the same extension, with the same proof of funds and the same address.

In most case it's a 2 minutes job for them.

Why don't they take this small time to give us this stamp just when we ask for it ?

I think you are being rather harsh on them.

Likely it would take more than 2 minutes to look up your record, review your latest paperwork and then apply all the stamps and update the records. It they did that all as you sat before them they would certainly handle fewer people each day and many would be sent home not catered to.

I don't like going back later myself as my home is out on the north side of Pattaya, but as a once in a year thing and I can live with killing a few hours in town or diving out there the next day. Yes, a retired person, doing his 5th or 6th extension can likely be less scrutinized, but I prefer they check each applicant thoroughly, some could be undesirables.

Edited by jacko45k

I had a similar experience to "quandow: when I did my annual extension in August of last year though I use the money in the bank to support my application. If anything, the total time I required was even quicker. I live in Jomtien so going back the next day to collect my passport isn't a big issue. I usually then go back the following day to get a multiple-entry re-entry permit though I seldom make maximum advantage of it; it just saves me having to go back at some time when it's not convenient to get a single-entry permit.

Alan

Simply because you are American!

Guess what my friend who is a Chinese from China has being told by the immigration officer that she has to pay bt4,900 even has full class attendance rather than bt1,900 for her ED visa simply because she is Chinese.

Coming back the next day sounds easy if you live round the corner (the area that Jomtien immi covers is relativelty small).

I have a 200 km round trip to Khon Kaen and quite happy to get my stamp in one session (not longer than 15 min usually without waiting time).

to not ask us to come back later to get our passport... (in the afternoon or the following day)

and for most of us its every year the same extension, with the same proof of funds and the same address.

Why don't they take this small time to give us this stamp just when we ask for it ?

It's all relative. I suppose if I had to drive for hours twice to reach Jomtien I'd be irritated too ... but I don't have to, so I'm not. For me, sitting in a room packed with unhinged farang for hours on end would be far worse.

I regard their efficiency in terms of the time I have to spend in the office, not based on where I chose to live. The last time I did my retirement extension I was in and out of the office in well under 10 minutes and the following day I collected the passport in under a minute.Of course it would be better still if they could complete the whole process and return in the passport at one go, as they have in the past, but compared to the stories from CM of people queuing at 4 in the morning or people in Bangkok waiting for 4 or 5 hours or people from various other offices having to produce an increasing array of new documentation, Jomtien is super efficient.

I suppose you could also say Thai Airways isn't efficient because they insist I board their planes at Suvarnabhum even though they know full well that's a long drive for me and, from my perspective, it would be far more efficient if they parked their aircraft in my condo parking lot.

Edited by Suradit69

I cant say my experience was very wonderful! Last monday 16 march I went with my wife to extend our tourist visas. arrived about 10.50. The entrance area was crowded with people most of whome didnt seem to know where to go or what to do. I got a couple of forms, filled them in got copies of the passports and went back to the "queue" to hand them in. When we finally get to the front we are told "come back at 1pm". So we go to beach road, have a drink, come back at 12.30 and there are already people getting their forms checked. So eventually our forms are checked and the assistant was very goo and gives us our queue numbers 135 and 136.Into the main waiting area and its packed out with people . At this point we realise that the 1pm refered to earlier is the time that they start the afternoon shift. So the place gets more crowded. Once the shift starts its evident that the queue number display is not working. Numbers are spoken out at conversation levels so we cant hear from our place at the back. After about 45 minutes we hand in the firms and pay the money. I then go and wait by the sign that says "rreturn passport" or words to that effect. 10 minutes later I am called back to the desk to collect our passports! Excellent. But reaaly horrible experience with overcrowded room consisting of many people not really kbowing whats going on.They are making plenty of money so time now for a bigger room.

Likely it would take more than 2 minutes to look up your record, review your latest paperwork and then apply all the stamps and update the records.

Hi. Not sure it would be longer than that. "2 minutes" is about the time they need to give you a re-entry permit, and they return your passport immediately. smile.png

What is the difference for them between doing Extension or Reentry? In both cases they enter your Name and/or Passport number; they see/check?/verify? your status and history on their screen; they click on the right option (Extension or Reentry), they stamp your passport with the given date.

In fact I once ask about that to one farang volunteer at Jomtien. His answer was that Extensions are far more important and need to be signed by a higher ranked officer than those you meet here. So they group passports and only give them to this officer once or twice a day to be signed... Certainly they could find a way to delegate this signature to one of people present in the Immigration Office, no?

Went there yesterday (Friday) for a certificate of residence.

11.15 Arrived and got ticket,

11.20 Saw officer with paperwork and paid, told to come back 20 mins.

11.30 Certificate ready picked it up and left.

A total of 15 minutes and on a Friday just before lunch.

Fantastic service and I bet the civil servants in our own counties couldn't do as good.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fantastic service and I bet the civil servants in our own counties couldn't do as good.

PAID ?

What was paid for and was a receipt for that payment issued ?

For every action, there is a reaction. Too satisfy every whim, one would have to tame the oceans, harness the solar system and defy the laws of physics.

I prefer to be thankful for what I have, be aware of what I am not in control of and live and let live.

"...Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference".

OP/Quandow: Thanks for the post.

Edited by Benmart

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

PAID ?

Yes 200 - 300 baht per copy depending upon handsomness no reciept if you want it free come back in 2 weeks.

Edited by johng

PAID ?

The standard fee for a residence certificate is 300b in Jomtien Immigration.

I have paid the same in the past.

Don't know if this is a country wide fee or it differs from region to region.

Seriously, they have all our "immigration life" on their compute

I think you are being rather harsh on them.

Likely it would take more than 2 minutes to look up your record, review your latest paperwork and then apply all the stamps and update the records. It they did that all as you sat before them they would certainly handle fewer people each day and many would be sent home not catered to.

I don't like going back later myself as my home is out on the north side of Pattaya, but as a once in a year thing and I can live with killing a few hours in town or diving out there the next day. Yes, a retired person, doing his 5th or 6th extension can likely be less scrutinized, but I prefer they check each applicant thoroughly, some could be undesirables.

It is only a 5 minute job when I have my extension done the whole process only takes about 20 minutes and I walk away with my passport, most of the paperwork is done before it goes to the back office for the final approval

PAID ?

The "standard fee" for a certificate of residence is zero, zilch, Nothing!

The provision of such a service is intended to be Free!

Those who pay the "standard fee" are part of the problem.

Quandow, did you need a photo or did they take it at the desk?

I needed to bring a photo (there's a spot on the back of the form to which they staple it) AND they take another digital shot at the desk.

PAID ?

The "standard fee" for a certificate of residence is zero, zilch, Nothing!

The provision of such a service is intended to be Free!

Those who pay the "standard fee" are part of the problem.

I had the same experience as peterrabbit last Wed (18-03-15 ) only took 30 mins for residence certificate to renew my 5yr driving licence.

Paid the fee of 300 Baht ( I think it was 200 Baht 5yrs ago ) because there's a sign above the desk that says so.

If you want to argue that it should be free, then take flask of tea & some sandwiches cos you'll be there quite a while,& expect more paper work than what is normally req'd when renewing. Retirement Extention