Living in Thailand and leaving a will/money/assets........?

Hi from experience the beneficiary is named in your super policy and so this should not be a problem if you named your partner as the beneficiary - just check to make sure

The Thai Will is done in English and Thai - ie the first paragraph is in English then the next paragraph is in Thai. If there is property then the Chanote is in Thai and so is photocopied and attached to the Will, it is also written in English to say see attachment 1 of the Chanote.

So normally 2 identical Wills - one for you and one to keep in the Lawyers office.

Each page is signed.

thanks

Thanks again Blackjack.

One more thing (if I can push my luck).

If my Thai wife dies first what happens to our joint assets (what can she actually bequeth me as I cannot own land as a farang).

She had a house and 2 blocks of land prior to our marriage and we have since bought 2 more blocks, built 2 more houses and built a bar / restaurant and fishing park on 15 rai.

She has a 10 year old son from a previous marriage and we also have a child together.

She does not want anything to go to her parents or brother.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

BB

Hi from experience the beneficiary is named in your super policy and so this should not be a problem if you named your partner as the beneficiary - just check to make sure

The Thai Will is done in English and Thai - ie the first paragraph is in English then the next paragraph is in Thai. If there is property then the Chanote is in Thai and so is photocopied and attached to the Will, it is also written in English to say see attachment 1 of the Chanote.

So normally 2 identical Wills - one for you and one to keep in the Lawyers office.

Each page is signed.

thanks

Thanks again Blackjack.

If my Thai wife dies first what happens to our joint assets (what can she actually bequeth me as I cannot own land as a farang).

She had a house and 2 blocks of land prior to our marriage and we have since bought 2 more blocks, built 2 more houses and built a bar / restaurant and fishing park on 15 rai.

She has a 10 year old son from a previous marriage and we also have a child together.

Cheers,

BB

If you inherit by the Will any land and house then the courts will give you a year to sell it or transfer it to the kids.

If wife has a Will then she will nominate who the beneficiaries are. If no Will then the Succession Laws kick in and so it gets messy as there are blood heirs and statuary heirs. Succession is where kids, full blood and half blood, parents, aunts uncles etc get a % of the assets. Not all of them get a % it just goes down the list until they find an heir.

What the wife owned before is hers and what you acquired after marriage is split 50 50 - again if you make a Will then this will clear up who the beneficiaries are and the assets can be consolidated by the Executor and then disbursed according to the Will.

If you both pass away the assets will remain with the Executor or someone like a guardian (there are no Trusts in Thailand) until the kids are over 20 years old. IF the child wanted to sell or do anything with the property assets then they would need to apply to the courts.

Just because you are married this does not consolidate the assets.

I hope this helps

Each page is signed.

thanks

Thanks again Blackjack.

Cheers,

BB

If you inherit by the Will any land and house then the courts will give you a year to sell it or transfer it to the kids.

If wife has a Will then she will nominate who the beneficiaries are. If no Will then the Succession Laws kick in and so it gets messy as there are blood heirs and statuary heirs. Succession is where kids, full blood and half blood, parents, aunts uncles etc get a % of the assets. Not all of them get a % it just goes down the list until they find an heir.

What the wife owned before is hers and what you acquired after marriage is split 50 50 - again if you make a Will then this will clear up who the beneficiaries are and the assets can be consolidated by the Executor and then disbursed according to the Will.

If you both pass away the assets will remain with the Executor or someone like a guardian (there are no Trusts in Thailand) until the kids are over 20 years old. IF the child wanted to sell or do anything with the property assets then they would need to apply to the courts.

Just because you are married this does not consolidate the assets.

I hope this helps

Thanks Blackjack,

You have been a great help,

Cheers,

BB