Concern rises as photos of jam packed Maya Bay with influx of Chinese tourists exposed

Lite Beer

I could have gone to KPP a decade before The Beach but never did, and for the last decade I have never wanted to, because it's been clear that the place was overrun with tourism. But for it to get this bad is truly shocking. Is there any other people on this planet so willing to destroy the natural beauty of their country for the sake of money as the Thais? It's very hard to think of one. Maybe the Spanish and French with their Mediterranean coasts.

It's not just the Thais.

How about the British (in the summer), Italians, Portuguese, Gibraltans, Cypriots, Americans, Turks, Maltese, Israelis, Jamacans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Brazillians, Barbadians, Maldivans, Malaysians and so on.

Every country with beaches and the right weather does it, including your's probably. It's very hard to think of even one country that restricts the number of visitors, in fact there are none.

Money from tourism does come easy but has many consequences.

Ask me as a Greek and I'll tell you how my country was spoiled from tourism.

But greed for money never ceases, either in Greece , Thailand or anywhere else in the world.

But it's not that simple. There are a lot of factors involved. Western countries such as France, the U.S. and Switzerland are also prime tourist destinations. You don't see them spoiled like this.

Well not through your rose tinted glasses you don't. Go to any beach, anywhere, in a heatwave.

When has concern for the environment ever taken precedence over naked greed in Thailand?

Is that a typo?

I believe you meant this as a fill in the blank statement ...

When has concern for the environment ever taken precedence over naked greed in _______________?

I wonder what country you can point to with meaningful population density and tourism as a significant portion of revenue ... where this does not apply.

The negative effects of mass tourism by British tourists in Spain were acutely felt way back in the early 70s.

• Like 2

When has concern for the environment ever taken precedence over naked greed in Thailand?

Is that a typo?

I believe you meant this as a fill in the blank statement ...

When has concern for the environment ever taken precedence over naked greed in _______________?

I wonder what country you can point to with meaningful population density and tourism as a significant portion of revenue ... where this does not apply.

Frazier Island on Australias east coast only allows a limited number of visitors at any given time to protect the environment and the islands wildlife (dingoes).

So it can be done, if you, unlike the Thais, think further than tomorrow!!

Mass tourism always destroys nature.
This is inherent in the system.
If suddenly many people meet in one place, is always constitute dirt, rubbish and bad odors.
The same dirt as by an big open air concert.
If it is permanently, then it will get problematic

How would you like to have the job picking up after the Chinese on that beach? Must be like a giant litter box.

Just like in a restaurant, whoever profited from the diners, are cleaning the tables!!

Simple............................coffee1.gif

Load them high.

Pack them in.

This is tourism.

I agree totally: can't we just pack them a bit tighter on one half the beach, and create a densely packed Chinese-only half of the beach, with sound barrier and spit channel separating it from the civilised part of the beach. I think everyone would be far happier!

• Like 1

I could have gone to KPP a decade before The Beach but never did, and for the last decade I have never wanted to, because it's been clear that the place was overrun with tourism. But for it to get this bad is truly shocking. Is there any other people on this planet so willing to destroy the natural beauty of their country for the sake of money as the Thais? It's very hard to think of one. Maybe the Spanish and French with their Mediterranean coasts.

I was lucky enough to visit back in 1990, the memory is a bit hazy but at that time there were very little services on the island, it was truly beautiful and unspoilt and the were only a few of us there. I can't imagine going back to scenes like the one pictured.

Money from tourism does come easy but has many consequences.

Ask me as a Greek and I'll tell you how my country was spoiled from tourism.

But greed for money never ceases, either in Greece , Thailand or anywhere else in the world.

Greece is the perfect example of a country that got spoiled by tourism and still got bankrupt.

I was there in December 1992 and left early because it was way too hot and so many (many handsful of) backpackers. Mistake. And again, after the tsunami, with centre of island structures washed away. It used to be the chilliest pace.

Breaks my heart to see this picture. Been there 3 or 4 times, last time before the movie I think. Makes me value the pictures I have of there where there's not a soul in site.

When TAT increased the campaign to invite the Chinese, what did they expect? Ever seen pictures of their beaches in the summer? Like opening a cage and inviting fleas

to visit your dog.

• Like 1

Lots of people want to go to a famous place. Not sure how this has much to do with Chinese. There are a lot of them but there are not shortage of Europeans going to Ko Phi Phi. It is up to the Thai gov't to set limits. Not sure how the Chinese are to blame in this situation.

• Like 1

Was on Koh Phi Phi in 2001, a few years prior to the tsunami. I found it peaceful and gorgeous. Once there, I cancelled all other travel plans and stayed for 3 weeks. I can't stand the Chinese tour groups, even in the city. Really foul. They congregate outside of Sanboon Seafood restaurant smoking in noisy packs, blocking pedestrian traffic. As for KPP, it's a shame. I doubt I will ever visit again.

They will destroy everything good and beautiful, and not spend nearly enough to pay for the damage they cause. Wait and see.

I used to drive tour busses packed with Chinese tourists in NZ.

They seem to be the nouvoue riche Chinese, all the men chain smoked and threw their butts everywhere, they only ate at restaurants owned by Chinese and when they left there was food all over the floor and table cloths they only shopped at jacked up places owned by Chinese, even the Deer Velvet shops were a jack up. I had to detour around tourist shops so they didn't, see them.

The tour guides got a kick back and the driver got commission on the shopping until eventually the Chinese drove their own tour busses and took over almost all the trade.

So this will be happening in the LOS, and wont do local Thais much good as all the dosh they spend is already accounted for.

Sadly the future looks to be that Hua Hin, Cha Amm and every beach in Thailand will become like this it is already happening in Hua Hin.

• Like 1

I was there in December 1992 and left early because it was way too hot and so many (many handsful of) backpackers. Mistake. And again, after the tsunami, with centre of island structures washed away. It used to be the chilliest pace.

I think you're the guy who walked off with my snorkel!

Lost it in maya bay December '92, I wonder if the birds nest caves survived the increase in visitors always used to be part of the trip to maya bay?

I suspect that a lot of the visitors use the sea as a toilet not to mention greasing up with suntan lotion which then leaves an oil slick on the water....and no doubt many will throw all kinds of food into the water for the fish.

So lets pour thousands of gallons of urine, hundreds of gallons of suntan oils, and who knows what all kinds of food into the sea and see how all that works out??? Hint: not well.

Only Americans!!!! People with money should not be able to travel so freely!!! Only backpackers!!!!

I just ordered some items online, all made in China. Too expensive to buy locally, and all the shops are going out-of-business anyhow.

huh? wai2.gif

This is the price to be paid for the country turning its back on the West, democracy and freedom and embracing China and all that China stands for.

The elites are willing to sell out the nation to China in order to maintain their position atop the social order - it's treason plain and simple.

I sure hope these tourists can recreate the experience from the movie, "The Beach". I'm finding it near impossible to see how this could be a good experience for anyone involved. On a side note, can the infrastructure handle the fecal waste, urine, and trash/garbage generated by that many people in such a small area. If not, the sea will become more polluted. I can't help but think that something or somebody will get trampled is that crowd gets spooked. I'm afraid that soon, all the scenic wonders of Thailand will be overrun with hordes of Chinese.

Edited by rametindallas