ED Visa application delayed, overstay or leave?

I have an ED visa. I need to report on the 28th March but gave my school my passport on the 16th. I had no idea it would take longer than that for them to get some forms... they said it could take up to a month.

So, my choices are.

1. Overstay and wait for the forms to come back. 500 baht fine a day and who knows what sort of trouble

2. Exit on the 28th and just come back on a tourist visa. I currently have 3 tourist visas, so I could be deinied... or is it consecutive tourist visas they have a problem with? In this case, my previous visa was an ED visa, not tourist.

I was hoping there could be some sort of rush or emergency service for the ED, which I'd pay for, but my school says there's not.

I really don't like overstaying so I'm thinking I may have to exit on the 28th, which is a shame as my ED visa will be void, which probably means I can't continue my studies.

You do not need an "ED" visa in order to study.

You will easily obtain a double entry tourist visa in Laos.

Ask about a refund from the school in as recompense for their tardiness in relation to completing the required paperwork.

Edited by nzexpat

It seem they started to late to get the paperwork from the MOE for you to get your extension. It has been taking several week to get it done for some time now.

All you can do is wait and see if they get the paperwork back. I don't suggest overstaying unless it a matter of just a few days.

You could go out for a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry. Then go out for another non-ed visa. Missing an extension would not end your studies.

The ED visa breaks the chain of back to back tourist visas from the same embassy or consulate.

• Like 1

If you leave and come back on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry..... You will have to leave again for the ED visa once the papers are ready. You have 3 choices. Overstay, leave and come back, leave and stay where you are going and have the school mail all the documents to you when they are completely to apply for the ED visa.

However, my personal advice would be to forgo the ED visa. I am on one now and will not be doing it again. You can read the dozen threads as to why.

Overstating might be too risky/expensive since the document return time is out of your control.

Edited by inbangkok

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you leave and come back on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry..... You will have to leave again for the ED visa once the papers are ready. You have 3 choices. Overstay, leave and come back, leave and stay where you are going and have the school mail all the documents to you when they are completely to apply for the ED visa.

However, my personal advice would be to forgo the ED visa. I am on one now and will not be doing it again. You can read the dozen threads as to why.

Overstating might be too risky/expensive since the document return time is out of your control.

You miss the point !

An "ED" visa is not required if one wishes to learn the Thai Language at a "school"

The ED visa breaks the chain of back to back tourist visas from the same embassy or consulate.

Just an aside, but what about getting a tourist visa from Savannaket after 2 or 3 from Vientienne, does that also break the chain being from different consulates?

Just an aside, but what about getting a tourist visa from Savannaket after 2 or 3 from Vientienne, does that also break the chain being from different consulates?

That has worked for some people.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You miss the point !

An "ED" visa is not required if one wishes to learn the Thai Language at a "school"

No, no. I did not miss the point at all. Unlike you, I actually addressed the question the OP asked. He seems like he wants the ED visa so I gave him the options available. No one said he has to have one to study. But it is his choice. I think you missed the point, buddy.