Visa Extension and New Passport Issues

Hi All

I have a bit of a dilemma and I'm quite concerned. I'm a British passport holder.

I am a university student in Bangkok and have just converted the visa from ED language school to ED university and have been given the normal 90 days initial extension of stay (up to 17th June). I have little space left in my passport and need to get a new one urgently. The trouble is, I won't be able to go to the British passport appointment until the 6th April, but they'll cut my passport and it'll be useless until another one gets issued (which takes at least 6 weeks according to the website).

The next problem is that university start preparing the documents 40 days before the extension of stay is up for a further extension, but the problem there is that the passport number and expiry date on the letter the university issue me (to request an extension) will be the old cancelled passport number and dates (that I will still have in my hands but cannot travel on). I'm not sure if that passport can be used to make an extension of stay or not...

Could anyone provide me with any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Very poor planning and a lack of foresight has resulted in this "dilemma" . It is of course a personal failing.

Luckily "They" will not "cut" the passport which can be used to obtain the extension IF it has not expired.

Once the new passport is received another visit to immigration will be required to request that the "extension of stay" detail is transferred to the new passport.

Thank you. The passport won't expire until 2018. The reason the space has been taken up is due to another country's immigration officer slapping the stamp right in the centre of a perfectly good page...

So if the embassy don't cut the passport, how do they know if you travel on it (which it says they can't on the website)??

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thank you. The passport won't expire until 2018. The reason the space has been taken up is due to another country's immigration officer slapping the stamp right in the centre of a perfectly good page...

So if the embassy don't cut the passport, how do they know if you travel on it (which it says they can't on the website)??

The passport is still "Valid" whilst in country but not for international travel. The "old" passport will not be " cut" until you receive a new one.

Attempting to " blame" an immigration officer for a personal failing is disingenuous.

A UK passport can be renewed at any time and up to 9 months "credit" is added for any unused validity.

Edited by nzexpat

As said when you apply for the new passport they will not cut the corners, They don't do that until you have the new one.

Latest reports are that UK passport are only taking about 3 weeks or a little less to get at the moment.

If you don't have your new passport immigration will do an extension in your old passport.

Surely nobody cuts the corner, as you still have it in your possession. Isn't it up to you to cut the corner (on the old one!) , which I did when I renewed my British passport just last year. Immigration will do an extension in your old passport, if you don't have your new one through yet, but the extension will only run up to the date of expiry of your old passport and you'll have to apply for a new extension after that date.

Surely nobody cuts the corner, as you still have it in your possession. Isn't it up to you to cut the corner (on the old one!) , which I did when I renewed my British passport just last year. Immigration will do an extension in your old passport, if you don't have your new one through yet, but the extension will only run up to the date of expiry of your old passport and you'll have to apply for a new extension after that date.

Perhaps you got you new passport when they still mailed the new one to you. When you pickup your new passport now in Bangkok they will want your old one and will cut the corners off of it.