Electricity bill

The amount on the bill that's translated as 'Base Tarrif' is different on every bill. Sometimes by a few baht sometimes by a few hundred! So, what's the theory? Is the base tariff actually scale-able? For example if your usage is low your base tariff is small and if your usage is high your base tariff is large? It doesn't seem to follow a percentage rule like the VAT amount either. In most countries I've lived in the base tariff remains the same and only the usage amounts and VAT/GST amounts change. Is this a way to allow the poor to pay less and the rich to pay more?

Isn't Phuket serviced by PEA? If so, here's the PEA website but Google Translate is your friend at this website (even when selecting English on the website) and it's not nearly as easy to use/understand as MEA's. But for all practical purposes MEA and PEA charges are practically identical. For example I just used the electric bill calculator at each site to see what 600KWH/month would cost a person on the residential 1.2 tariff and MEA calculator said Bt2,704.61 and the PEA calculator Bt2,704.86

MEA Calculator

PEA Calculator

Personally, I would just use the MEA calculator. Use Residential tariff schedule 1.2 and the current Ft of 58.96 stang...the calculator will then handle all the calculations to include adding in the service fee and VAT. If you are a really small user of electricity then tariff schedule 1.1 may apply but it's only hair lower in cost than the 1.2 tariff. Your current bill should show what tariff schedule you are on...or at least my MEA bill does...it says 1.2. I live in Bangkok serviced by the MEA and the bills I get in the mail always match to the exact stang the charge when using their calculator.

• Like 1