Many Traffic Police collecting tea money

wow64

Over the past 2 weeks there seems to be a lot more police collecting fines/bibes.

Have been booked 3 times in 1 week.

It couldn't get more stupid then today's fine. Riding (motorbike) down Narathiwas Rd from Sathorn there was 6 police on the inside lane where I was with a bunch of skooters went around the outside of them where they stopped me to do a licence check and only me which is fine. This was all in order so I was fined for not being on the inside lane.. So stupid and not worth arguing about. He actually wrote the fine out and I kept explaining to him that he was standing in the inside lane but it wasn't worth it. 200b fine which was paid to him on the spot.. I know I should have went to the police station everyone says.. Done this before and its a pain in the butt having to do this.

It's not the money it's the principle of how stupid this fine is. Anyways rant over.

Thing is as a biker your the lowest of the low (i ride a motorbike too) and the left lane bullshit is just dangerous. That lane is the most dangerous. I don't care if i get fined for it once in a while.. rather be fined and alive .. then not fined and dead.

• Like 2

Thing is as a biker your the lowest of the low (i ride a motorbike too) and the left lane bullshit is just dangerous. That lane is the most dangerous. I don't care if i get fined for it once in a while.. rather be fined and alive .. then not fined and dead.

The left lane crap is nuts.. Since I have been fined already this week I was actually making an effort to be in the left.. Oh well.

Easy pickings getting the guys on bikes. Idiot grabbed my arm I could have easily put the bike down.. Safety first. That would have been interesting trying to get a copper to pay for damaging my 600cc bike.

The way they stop riders they actually cause accidents.

Edited by wow64

The left lane crap is nuts.. Since I have been fined already this week I was actually making an effort to be in the left.. Oh well.

Easy pickings getting the guys on bikes. Idiot grabbed my arm I could have easily put the bike down.. Safety first. That would have been interesting trying to get a copper to pay for damaging my 600cc bike.

The way they stop riders they actually cause accidents.

On the left with a 600cc bike.. crazy rule.. I got a 650cc .. maybe its fine for small bikes.. but real countries let big bikes everywhere. But as long as its the law i just pay up.

It's not the money it's the principle of how stupid this fine is.

In farang-speak principle usually means there was a loss of face

Why would there be loss of face if you get stopped ? I see it as loss of time.. and I know I am wrong so I don't argue it. I don't agree with the rule but for a 200bt fine (bribe) or 400 (official) who gives a toss.

But it would be nice if Thailand were to acknowledge the difference between a scooter and a big bike (maybe with additional training). I don't see this happening but who knows there are coming more and more Thai big bike owners who are of a higher status. Its up to them to change things. They ignore the left rule as much or more as me.

I don't understand why people give in to the police's bribe request and then complain about how corrupt the Thai police are. I believe that if more people refused to pay the on-the-spot fine and insisted on being issued a ticket, perhaps the amount of corruption would be reduced a little. In fact, each time I've insisted on being issued a ticket, the policemen have simply said forget about it and get out of here, without issuing the ticket. Even if they do issue a ticket, it's a simple process to either pay at the police station or, even simpler, pay at the post office and have your license returned by mail.

I don't understand why people give in to the police's bribe request and then complain about how corrupt the Thai police are. I believe that if more people refused to pay the on-the-spot fine and insisted on being issued a ticket, perhaps the amount of corruption would be reduced a little. In fact, each time I've insisted on being issued a ticket, the policemen have simply said forget about it and get out of here, without issuing the ticket. Even if they do issue a ticket, it's a simple process to either pay at the police station or, even simpler, pay at the post office and have your license returned by mail.

Could you elaborate more about the paying by mail and how many times you have done that. I have heard about it but no real confirmed reports. My problem is if i drive in places I don't know I cant find the police station. Doing it by mail would be perfect, but I like to know about people who have done it and received their license back.

20 years ago I was stopped for no reason other than to get money from me.

I complained and spent 2 wasted days going to some hard to find police station far from my home where I waited for a couple of hours each time 'We have to get an interpreter'.

Better to have just smiled and paid up unless you enjoy this 'handilng complaints' procedure.

• Like 1

Just asking. How many lanes, one or two each way? If two each way, are you referring to the number one lane or the breakdown lane where most cyclists ride. Not having a motorcycle, and if it is the number one lane, why is this lane so dangerous? I thought the rule was keep left unless overtaking but then not many cyclists follow the rules. I know that up in the north east, if two lanes each way, they grab those who are in the number two lane, if not overtaking.

Yes, I had a similar experience recently near Ratchada.

Three lane road - nearside two lanes clearly painted to turn left at the next traffic lights, and outside lane for straight on.

A single policeman stopped me for being in the outside lane.

I protested, and pointed to the painted arrows in the road. He finally reduced his tea money to 100 baht and I left.

I even asked him what station he came from and he said Chatuchak, which is definitely a lie.

Best entertainment for 100 baht, but wrong.

I wish I'd gone further down the road and taken some photos of this lone ranger, but I was in a hurry.

Just asking. How many lanes, one or two each way? If two each way, are you referring to the number one lane or the breakdown lane where most cyclists ride. Not having a motorcycle, and if it is the number one lane, why is this lane so dangerous? I thought the rule was keep left unless overtaking but then not many cyclists follow the rules. I know that up in the north east, if two lanes each way, they grab those who are in the number two lane, if not overtaking.

The most left lane is dangerous because that is where minivans / taxis / buses and the rest stop and pull into without looking.

I always go at the speed of traffic or a bit faster, so I am always overtaking.. (in BKK its always busy so your always overtaking) but they don't care about that. You get caught no matter what. You have to remember that BKK is quite busy and cars busses and vans and taxis are constantly stopping without warning.

Didn't the military Gov stop all this ?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If only. In some respects it has gotten worse. less money from vendors etc means they have to get the money from somewhere,. Traffic violations are easy for them.

I was once stopped everyday for 12 consecutive days a few years back. Every excuse from not enough air in my tyres to the best one I have heard yet. I didn't signal. When I told him that I have been in the same lane for 2miles and didn't need to signal, her just said you wrong.

My faith in the Police and Military here is very thin and I see them as two sides of the same, corrupt. The people of Thailand who can make a difference should do something about this and get these people out. Please don't give me that's what they are doing now. It simply isn't happening. I am an Alien here with little rights but Thai people can make a difference and stop accepting this outrageous practice, mostly shafting the poor and working classes.

• Like 2

The most left lane is dangerous because that is where minivans / taxis / buses and the rest stop and pull into without looking.

I always go at the speed of traffic or a bit faster, so I am always overtaking.. (in BKK its always busy so your always overtaking) but they don't care about that. You get caught no matter what. You have to remember that BKK is quite busy and cars busses and vans and taxis are constantly stopping without warning.

Thanks for the explanation. Even though I rode big bikes for over 40 years, the last being a Yamaha 1300cc sports Tourer, there is no way I would ride any type of bike here. Your a braver man than I am, especially riding in that BKK traffic. It's bad enough in the regional city where I live, so I have to admire your handling that BKK traffic.

To my way of thinking, one of the really big problems in Thailand is the lack of due process. If there was, things like this couldn't happen and the cops wouldn't be able to extract 'tea money' from the people they are supposed to be serving and protecting!

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. Even though I rode big bikes for over 40 years, the last being a Yamaha 1300cc sports Tourer, there is no way I would ride any type of bike here. Your a braver man than I am, especially riding in that BKK traffic. It's bad enough in the regional city where I live, so I have to admire your handling that BKK traffic.

You get used to it.. i fear going outside of BKK.. I have driven the car there but its not one way there and often cars come on your lane. On a bike you are pushed off the road the cars just push you away. That is why i like the one way stuff in BKK.

So I guess it depends on what you are used too.

Yes, I had a similar experience recently near Ratchada.

Three lane road - nearside two lanes clearly painted to turn left at the next traffic lights, and outside lane for straight on.

A single policeman stopped me for being in the outside lane.

I protested, and pointed to the painted arrows in the road. He finally reduced his tea money to 100 baht and I left.

I even asked him what station he came from and he said Chatuchak, which is definitely a lie.

Best entertainment for 100 baht, but wrong.

I wish I'd gone further down the road and taken some photos of this lone ranger, but I was in a hurry.

You are so right in what you say, in the circumstances you describe, if you wait too long to get into the lane to go straight ahead, and the road is busy, the traffic who are going straight ahead will not let you move in, and you could end up having to bear left.