Renting a car in the UK with Thai Drivers License?

arkom

I have read that the UK does not require an International Permit if the license is written in English, which mine is.

However when I asked the rental company I was told that Thai licenses is not valid and a IDP is needed. Can anyone help confirm?

Not sure if this would be the best section to post, if not please move.

Thanks all, most people say no need for it, and some say it's needed. I contacted the rental company and been getting different answers. One person sad permit not need and other says needed.

Only renting for one day didn't want to waste time getting a permit from DLT.

The 5-year Thai qualifies for car rental in the UK.

My personal experience is it easier to rent a car in the UK as visitor from overseas with your 5-year Thai licence than it is with your UK license.

Rental agencies have slightly differing policies but in my experience, showing your UK license and using a UK address requires 2 additional items confirming your identity. One which is the passport but the other is invariably a utility bill or tax receipt in the same name/address as the UK DL and credit card. All good if you have that but a bugger if you are truly an international gypsy.

This may vary with individual car rental agencies when booking direct but definitely applies if using a broker 'cartrawler' type car rental search engine like the one that this forum recommends.

I rented from Kendall car hire. I asked the same question as you, and got told as long as it's a permanent license (not provisional ) and written in English..no problem. I actually got an INTERNATIONAL permit anyway. But it was not required!

http://www.kendallcars.com/

One thing though. I believe that to drive on the Thai licence, you should not be a current UK licence holder! I'm not as mine has expired!

Edited by casualbiker

Dear OP,

Why don't you go to your transport department and get yourself an IDP? Wasn't possible in all provinces a few years ago. Now no problems.

Like I mentioned above, I don't want to the hassle of getting an IDP for a one day rental, I had to get one for my last trip and ended spending a half day there.

I did however get a reply from the rental company and they confirmed an IDP isn't required as long as name and date of birth on the license is in English.

I rented from Kendall car hire. I asked the same question as you, and got told as long as it's a permanent license (not provisional ) and written in English..no problem. I actually got an INTERNATIONAL permit anyway. But it was not required!

http://www.kendallcars.com/

One thing though. I believe that to drive on the Thai licence, you should not be a current UK licence holder! I'm not as mine has expired!

If your current UK license is valid ypou can drive on either Thai or UK license. Now if your UK license has been revoked you can legally drive on neither.