UK visa for a child entitled to UK citizenship,My story ,

I've read the pinned thread where it says that I would have to apply for British passport first which was not an option for us as we wanted to go to the UK for Easter ,

My friend said his daughter was issued a family visa in her thai passport and then applied for a British passport in the UK ,so I'd thought I'd apply anyway ,filled in both applications online for my wife and 8 month old son with all the relevant paperwork booked the appointment for 11th March at the trendy building was there about an hour doing the biometrics etc,

Had a email stating that the wife's decision was made and on the 15th my sons email came thru to say he was done ,Recieved both passports today (23rd) in the post with both Visa's given!,

Pleased with the speed of the process and happy that my son was granted a visa in his thai passport!.

Happy days and also thanks to Thai visa for the valuable information in filling out the applications.

• Like 2

Glad you got the visa; but as Tony says in his pinned topic; they should not have issued your son a visa and that they have done so is a mistake on their part.

What should actually happen is ( assuming the child holds only a Thai passport) that the applicant ( or parent) should be told to apply for either a British passport for the child, or for a Certificate of Entitlement to The Right of Abode. The visit visa application cannot be considered as it is unlawful to do so.

But as Tony says in that topic, many of us know of cases where a visa should not have been issued, indeed the application not even accepted, because the applicant is British; but neither VFS nor the ECO has noticed this and so the visa has been issued anyway.

BTW, assuming you are British otherwise than by descent (see here) your son is not entitled to British citizenship; he is already British!

Glad to here you were successful but to add to 7by7 comments this is dangerous advice.

We have just had a friend of the wife's visit who is Filipino and the husband is British & they initially applied for a visa for there son because they had not at the time applied for his UK passport.

The visa was refused as by their own submission he was entitled to a UK passport.

They then had to reapply & now have a stamp in his Filipino passport that says something to the affect of right of abode.

I am sure Tony can correct me on the terminology.

So not a good idea to advice people to do this deliberately, pleased for that it turned out okay though.