30 extra countries in Indonesia visa-free immigration policy

george

30 EXTRA COUNTRIES INCLUDED IN INDONESIA’S VISA-FREE TRAVEL POLICY
post-128-0-82765000-1427119539_thumb.jpg

JAKARTA, Indonesia: -- The government of Indonesia has announced new measures designed to help boost the number of tourists visiting the South East Asian country. Beginning in April, visa requirements will be waived for nationals from additional 30 countries, making a total of 45, allowing them to visit Indonesia for short-term stay without visas. However, once again, Australia has been omitted from that list.

According to the Minister of Tourism, Arief Yahya, allowing visa-free travel is among the easiest ways of boosting the number of foreign tourists visiting Indonesia. While Malaysia offers the same to nationals from a total of 164 nations, Thailand has a similar waiver to 56 countries across the globe, with both nations attracting far more foreign tourists annually.

The government hopes that by the end of this year, up to 10 million foreign tourists will have spent a minimum of $1 billion. Official statistics show that Indonesia received 9 million foreign tourists in 2014, compared to the 8.8 million visitors recorded one year earlier. In contrast, Thailand received 26 million foreign tourists while Malaysia had 27 million foreign tourist arrivals in 2014 alone!

Arief says that with the new visa regulations, in two years Indonesia will surpass both Thailand and Malaysia in tourist arrivals per year.
The Tourism Minister denied that the Indonesian government’s decision not to include Australia in the latest list of visa-free nations has anything to do with the pending execution of two drug convicts from Australia, adding that his country will give visa-free travel to Australia if the latter promises to reciprocate this gesture. In the meantime, ties between the two neighbors remain strained over the drug case.

If the government of Australia is keen on such a move, Arief assured that Indonesia’s Foreign Minister, as well as the President, will almost certainly do the same.
Statistics from the Central Statistics Agency (BPS) show that 12% of visitors to Indonesia in 2014 came from Australia. This makes them the third largest group of foreign tourists, with only Singaporeans and Malaysians surpassing them.

The visa waiver is meant to enhance tourist arrivals to Indonesia, but the government also admits that there is a risk of the new arrangement being abused. The Minister of Justice and Human Rights, Yasonna Laoly, has indicated that the government has worries that when this new policy comes into effect, some tourists may try circumventing immigration laws, especially those from China. 3,300 such cases involving Chinese tourists were reported in 2014.
Yasonna also said that only five international airports in Medan, Jakarta, Batam, Surabaya and Bali will be available for the implementation of the new visa-free regulations, with monitoring of travelers being made tighter in all of them. Any foreign tourist who will be found smuggling any illegal items like drugs into the country will suffer serious consequences.

Concerning the same issue of visa-free travel, Indonesia’s Chief of Armed Forces, Gen. Moeldoko, has added his voice, saying that the government had had lengthy discussions about any security matters related to the new policy. He said the cabinet had come to the conclusion that there is no problem with it being implemented, assuring the country that his officers were ready for any eventuality.

Before the extra 30 states were added to the visa-free travel plan, the original 15 were the 10 member countries of the Association of South East Asian Nations, and Macau, Hong Kong, Chile, Ecuador and Peru. The 30 countries that are joining this list as from next month include China, South Korea, Japan, the US, Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia, the UK, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Denmark, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Qatar, Kuwait, the UAE, Oman, Bahrain and South Africa.

tvn.png
-- 2015-03-23

Indonesia gives 30 more countries visa-free entry

JAKARTA: — To boost tourist numbers, Indonesia from next month will waive visa requirements for nationals from an extra 30 countries — but not Australia — the government has announced.

When the new regulation goes into effect, there will be a total of 45 countries whose citizens can enter Indonesia for short-term visits without a visa.

“Offering visa-free travel is one of the easiest ways to boost tourist numbers,” Tourism Minister Arief Yahya said on Monday. “Malaysia offers visa-free travel to 164 countries and Thailand offers it to 56 countries.”

Both Malaysia and Thailand attract far larger numbers of tourists than Indonesia each year.

Mr Arief said the government was hoping that an estimated 10 million tourists would spend at least US$1 billion (S$1.39 billion) this year. Indonesia recorded nine million tourist arrivals last year, rising from 8.8 million visitors in 2013.

“Only nine million tourists came to Indonesia last year. Thailand recorded 26 million tourist arrivals last year and Malaysia recorded 27 million. By waiving visa requirements, we can attract more tourists than Thailand or Malaysia in two years,” Mr Arief said.

Australia, with which ties are currently strained over the pending execution of two Australian drug convicts, was not included in the list of visa-free countries.

“If we give visa-free travel to Australia, we have to be given the same thing,” Mr Arief was quoted as saying by Reuters, stressing the importance of reciprocity. The minister denied that the decision was tied to the planned execution of the two Australians.

“I can guarantee that if the Australian government wants (to agree to visa-free travel), the Foreign Minister and President will almost definitely want it too,” Mr Arief said.

Australians accounted for 12 per cent of tourists in Indonesia last year, said the Central Statistics Agency, making them the third-largest group after Singaporeans and Malaysians.

Citizens from the 10 member states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations as well as Hong Kong, Macau, Ecuador, Chile and Peru were already exempted from the visa requirement.

The countries that will join this list next month are: China, Japan, South Korea, United States, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico, Russia, United Kingdom, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait and South Africa.

-- JAKARTA GLOBE 2015-02-23

The government of Indonesia have seemingly less intelligent politicians than Thailand, something which itself is frightening enough. But why exactly would Australia, probably the model of what a first world country should be run like give these clowns anything when they have some mad cleric at the helm who is devoid of logic, reason and seemingly common sense too.

Still am pretty stoked that the bods in the tourism ministry have seen the value in making travel there visa free to nationals of many western nations

...............If we give visa-free travel to Australia, we have to be given the same thing,...............

Fair enough, but I can't see Australia opening the flood gates!!

God forbid! Fifty million visitors to their population of 25m, and 2/3 be mainland Chinese.

Seems that the Indonesians are giving Australia the finger here. Well stuff em. I think that there should be a decrease in Australian tourism there by 100% from 12-0% anyway. Relations with both countries are always strained, if it's not this it's that.

- The 2 Australians on Heroin trafficking charges, sorry but just do it. Can't do the time don't do the crime. Oz government butt out & send a message to other traffickers that you'll cop it.

- Indonesia give justice to the citizens of other countries that lost their lives after YOUR nationals killed them in the bombing. Aren't they running around free!!!! Not a good look Indonesia.

It's hard to blame Indonesians for

• not wanting drug traffickers
  • not liking Australian Political figures meddling into their affairs

"Without Prejudice" and without discussing "High Moral Grounds" of many posters here.

I read a lot of negative Aussie comments all over the place about Indonesia, one ignorant girl even suggested their president should be killed.

We actually have no real reason for disagreements with Indonesia, a better relationship would probably have seen the resolving of the drug smugglers issue quietly.

Australia lacks any statesmen of any vision, the fools in charge set the bellicose tone for the population to emulate. We should be engaging Muslim Asia rather than following the US into their empirical wars making Muslim enemies.

Without the US standing behind it Australia has no military strength whatsoever, something it should consider when trying to act tough.

This is a snub by Australia's closest neighbour, perhaps the White Australia attitude never went away.

Picked up on this a few days ago, but my post on it was within another topic on the forum.

.......allowing them to visit Indonesia for short-term stay without visas

'Short term stay' needs to be defined before the use of this change to most people is praised or not.

Plus. more importantly, this appears to still be a 'proposal' rather than actually implimented yet.

Here is an article which suggests this proposal first has to go head to head with domestic laws on the matter.

Both times I've been to Indonesia I've jumped through the hoops in neighbouring countries beforehand in order to obtain a 60 day visa as the standard 30 day one issued was not going to be anywhere near long enough considering the slow crawl of traversing areas like Sumatra and beyond. It's a big big country indeed, and a visit of any depth needs far longer than 30 days to see very much unless someone goes yearly.

If this visa waiver proposal still only allows 30 days then it is not a groundbreaking change for visitors beyond Bali. One other poster slams the place, but I personally love Indonesia. Everyone can bring up a bad day story, but to me it has the cheeriest sunniest and politest people in South East Asia overall, even in tourist weary spots like Bali. I can recall instances of great hospitality and sacrifice for me that were entirely agenda free. In comparison, when I go to Thailand I increasingly feel like one of many walking wallets that they are completely jaded of dealing with these days.

What is being offered here? 1000 words discussing everything but the duration of stay and under what terms (formal visa or stamp on arrival).

Clarification pls. US and many countries already given 30 days on arrival which is woefully inadequate to travel the islands.

Indo needs a ninety day visa, island hopping is sooooo slow.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

Wow free visa to earthquakes. tsunamis, erupting volcanos, terrorist groups,

no gambling, Go-Go, and maybe execution for breaking one of their laws ! Where can I sign up for the next plane, ( Oops, Last Air Asia INDONESIA

plane still missing ! )

you have obviously never been to Indonesia then spouting bile like this wink.png

Went over to Batam / Bintan from Singapore many times for golf. Those visa's really eat up the pages in your passport.

not doing the full page ones these days smaller sticker, but yes the old full page ones ones really did chew up your PP

What is being offered here? 1000 words discussing everything but the duration of stay and under what terms (formal visa or stamp on arrival).

Clarification pls. US and many countries already given 30 days on arrival which is woefully inadequate to travel the islands.

So does your country give Indonesian nationals 90 day VOA's or visa waivers then ?

Yeah, secondary commentary in the various articles speak of an Indonesian hope that this move will lead to reciprocal entry to the nations for Indonesians. Seems unlikely.

Thailand makes it reasonably easy for us to enter but can a Thai just get on a plane and get a free pass on arrival in Britain? As far as I know, the answer is no. Visa policies are only reciprocal if a nation chooses to apply it, and sometimes it is applied out of spite when there is a spat going on, rather than it being reciprocal 'ease' of entry.

India is one case. In recent years Britain began toughening up entry for those coming from India claiming to be studying in Britain. Many probably were, but others were not and were working off the grid or vanishing. Minority screw things up for everyone else of course, but the Indian response was to nearly double the 'tourist' visa cost for Brits while other EU passports still pay about £35, and even more recent changes have meant applying for an appointment at an application centre for interviews and a series of biometric scans. It seems determined to make tourism to there as pricey and as full of hassle as possible for some nationalities. Indonesia hasn't made life difficult for Brits to visit even though it is much harder for Indonesians to visit here, because Indonesia has (at least for now) been smart enough to understand the realistic factors of economic difference between the countries and why Britain and other nations are going to look deeper at applications and put up some obstacles.

So does Thailand understand, and proceeds accordingly rather by than making it a major obstacle even if things are tightening up a bit these days. Indian officials are just thick, seemingly believing that we don't have the freedom of choice and movement to travel somewhere else instead without all the hassle of cost, biometrics and power games. Rocket surgeon I don't think clarification is possible yet, as it still a proposal (see my link above)

Wow free visa to earthquakes. tsunamis, erupting volcanos, terrorist groups,

no gambling, Go-Go, and maybe execution for breaking one of their laws ! Where can I sign up for the next plane, ( Oops, Last Air Asia INDONESIA

plane still missing ! )

You really have no idea, do you? Just felt the need to slam another SE Asian country? Many people think Indonesia is a wonderful place. But then ,they have actually been there.

So does your country give Indonesian nationals 90 day VOA's or visa waivers then ?

That's not important. Foreign tourists are far more important for Indonesia's economy than Indonesian tourists to many of those countries that send tourists to Indo. Also, since Indo is a poor country the risks of it's nationals overstaying in a richer country are too great. The risk of a western or Singaporean or Japanese etc. tourist overstaying in Indo is very low.

Quite a lot of countries allow nationals of some countries to enter visa-free or with a visa on-arrival, while in the reverse direction it's not possible. Thailand is one such example. Others are Cambodia and Laos.

Appears to be a bit of bait and switch going on here. I have 2 tickets booked to Denpasar for next month. Paid in full 2 months ago. I now get a notice from Air Asia that I owe 565b on each ticket, new Indonesian Airport Tax

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Actually I've had a great idea - to take advantage of this visa-less entry.

I'll need a group of people..about a hundred or so.....

first we get into Indonesia and then head South, and then hire the shittiest boat we can find and head off towards Christmas island - eventually we get intercepted by the Aussie navy who will pay us a load of dosh to go back to Indonesia......so we take the money and go back.....get another visa-less entry and hire another boat....after about two or three trips we take our share of the money and return to Thailand.....a holiday in Indonesia and a quick profit to boot!

any takers???