Limits On Songkran In Phuket

george

Limits on Songkran in Phuket

PHUKET: -- Phuket revellers will have to watch out where they hurl water during Songkran next month, as local authorities are to designate specific areas for their antics.

"We will ensure that the revellers have fun while observing laws and safety rules," Phuket police chief Maj-General Weerayut Sitthimalk said yesterday.

The spots are Saphan Hin in Muang (city) district, Patong beach in Krathu district and Nai Yang beach in Thalang district.

He said this was in line with the recent Cabinet resolution that bans water-throwing on main roads - an activity that is directly responsible for many road casualties.

The Songkran festival is traditionally associated with water, and some participants celebrate by throwing large amounts of it at strangers. Suthep Kua-sang, the director of Southern Area 1 Tourism Bureau, which oversees Songkhla and Satun, said he agreed with the idea to limit water throwing to certain designated spots.

"Revellers should go where others are also prepared to participate and where roads are especially closed for the activities," he said.

However, Bangkok Senator Damrong Puttan expressed concern that the water-throwing zone policy will be hard to implement because it goes against recent public habits. "To me, it is not going to work," he said.

Damrong recommended a public-awareness campaign promoting the idea that random wild water throwing was not the key to the Songkran festival. He said the festival used to feature personal exchanges of water, gently pouring into seniors' hands and asking for blessings. The senator is the chairman of the "Don't Drive Drunk" foundation. He said road accidents injured 130,000 people and killed 1,500 across the world each day.

Deputy Prime Minister Chaturon Chaisang, who chairs a national disaster-prevention committee, acknowledged that road trauma is a threat to life.

--The Nation 2004-03-26

Personally i cant see this working out... last year every man and his dog were out lobbing water at anything that moved, do you seriously think the local thai's will take a blind bit of notice of this? Nah i dont think so.

I agree, whole heartedly, with the sentiment behind this idea, it can be dangerous on a motorbike this time of year, but a little bit of common sense can avoid most of the accidents.

And if this does happen (and lets hope it doesnt) do you honestly think that the three areas designated will be enough? There should be at least one area per "town" on the island, limiting it to Patong, Saphan Hin and Nai Yang is possibly the worst idea to come out of this country since Taskins daddy kissed Taskins mom.

I love Songkran, just let everyone get on with it.

The day the police stop riding down the wrong side of a one way road or on the pavement or they actually work later than 10pm and really try to catch the drunk drivers is the day I'll believe the government are trying to enforce road saftey, its a joke right now and always has been and so be it, thats fine and dandy with me.

There should be a big <deleted> off sign at the airport saying "get yourself some good insurance lad and be on your way"

I hate Songkran

Lucky for me I am away out of the country at work this year and will not have to suffer it.

1st time I was here for it it was fun, but sadly I am older now and it really is a pain in the neck, especially if you are trying to go about you work or some business.

It aint funny, or smart to throw freezing water over someone riding past on a bike, pretty bloody sensless if you ask me.

It has gotten completely out of hand nowadays, I tend to stay in for the 2-3 days and don't go out at all, thanks UBC for keeping me entertained...

I do however understand how much fun it must be for a holidaymaker, but thats just about what it has become, a tourist attraction. It is no longer the quiet respectful festival it once was.

And what's wrong with that red dye shit, idiots!

I I was in country I did have a good idea, I was going to fill my trucks water bottle with pepper spray agent turn my winscreen washers 90 degrees facing out and drive through Prat-ong getting as many of the buggers as I could.... Any other Songkran haters you are welcome to use my idea.

Songkran, keep it in Prat-ong with all the bloody tourist.... :o