International Driving License to get Thai License

I went to my local driving license issuing dept.to get some info.My 5 year license finishes in October and they told me i have to sit the test.Trying to bypass this i asked can i get a license with a International License and my current Australian license.He said no,got to sit the test same Thai.Fair enough,but i have not read or heard anything about the International License option being canned.Is this true.

My 5 year license finishes in October and they told me i have to sit the test.Trying to bypass this i asked can i get a license with a International License and my current Australian license

If its a 5 year Thai license your talking about, then someone is BS you, an IDP/home license is only considered in getting your 1 Thai year DL.

after you get your 5 year Thai DL your home license and having an IDP is irrelevant in the scheme of things,

its only used initially to establish you already have an existing driving license so you don't need to take a driving test to get your 1 year provisional Thai license

• Like 1

How old is the OP and where exactly is this Land Transport Office that is giving him/her the wrong info?

I replaced my (first) 5-year last January in Udon. The only 'test' was correctly calling the colored lights and watching the boring 1-hour video about the 5 precepts.

How old is the OP and where exactly is this Land Transport Office that is giving him/her the wrong info?

I replaced my (first) 5-year last January in Udon. The only 'test' was correctly calling the colored lights and watching the boring 1-hour video about the 5 precepts.

you could be right, all mis-communication/ misunderstanding and the "driving test is in fact what you have mentioned

I will be 62 when 5 year license finishes.I still have all my faculties that the 30 baht medical will prove.All that from checking my pulse.Was also told to get resi cert.Prasat in Surin province is my local office.

Edited by louse1953

you could be right, all mis-communication/ misunderstanding and the "driving test is in fact what you have mentioned

There was no misunderstanding,as i asked twice and my Thai is pretty good.It sounded like bs,but you never know.If i strike him again i will go to Surin.Usually Prasat is good,bent the rules several times for me to save money.The insurance bloke even gave me 20 baht to pay for new rego when they didn't have change last time i was there.

The two links you have shared seem unacceptable as for where I am. Would like to know how one might be able to obtain some form of driver's license or local ID for Thailand. I have not had a driver's license for many years basically because I have been in SEA all these years and not wanted to get behind the wheel! haha

I may have missed something in the comments, but what is the process to get a 1 or multiple years driver's license for Thailand. The exam that is discussed on this thread is a "driving exam"? Written exam? Or what?

I may have missed something in the comments, but what is the process to get a 1 or multiple years driver's license for Thailand. The exam that is discussed on this thread is a "driving exam"? Written exam? Or what?

There is a pinned thread at the top of this forum - Applying for a 1 and 5 year driving licence. You may want to have a read there wink.png - or in one of the other driving licence threads eg in the Pattaya forum.

Basically you apply for a 1 year first and then renew that at expiry for a 5 year - normally only as long as you have proof of long term residency.

A lot will depend on your local Diver Licensing centre so if you can you may be best contacting them directly.

Thanks for the comments fellows but I am still unsure about what is involved in the "exam" that others have referenced to in other comments here. Is the exam a DRIVING EXAM or written exam or combo?

Thanks for the comments fellows but I am still unsure about what is involved in the "exam" that others have referenced to in other comments here. Is the exam a DRIVING EXAM or written exam or combo?

Depends on what you have and what you are applying for and where you apply for it- does say in those threads somewhere........whistling.gif

You normally have to do vision, reaction and spatial test and then maybe multiple choice Highway code test (references to which are online) on pc and possibly driving test which takes about 5 minutes I believe - mainly reversing into a space for a car.