what to do if you already have 3 consecutive tourist visa

Hello! I am Russian, I've been staying in Thailand for 1.5 years.

At this point in my passport as follows:
- 3 back-to-back 30 days stamps from visa-runs to Cambodia,
- 3 back-to-back 30 days stamps from border-runs to Lao,
- 3 Tourist visa (2 SNG, 1 DBL) made at Vientian.
Recently I was in immigration, and when I was making 30 days extension, the officer told me that i will not receive 4th back-to-back Tourist visa in Vientian.
Now I consider 2 various choices and each of them have a few questions.
1. Going to the border-run to Lao for 30 days stamp. The question is will they make me such a stamp? And if so then how many of these stamps I can expect to receive in the future?
2. Going to Cambodia (Phnom Penh) to make the Tourist visa there. The question is, is there a difference in which country do i make a Tourist visa? Will they make it, or it will still be counted as the 4th consecutive visa and I will not receive it? If denied, then for how long i need to stay out of Thailand to be able to get Tourist visa?

Each consulate make their own visa counting and regulations.If Vientane has not stamped anything on your passport they may still issue a visa, for that you would need to bring proof of funds coming from abroad and a rental contract. Otherwise you can go to Savannakhet, Laos for a double entry tourist visa, or Penang, Malaysya for a single one. You could probably enter visa exempt, but it not recommendable, because you could extend that for a max of 7 days.

At this time you should also look into obtaining a new passport.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

For what it is worth I can report that for the past 10 years I have been coming and going from/to Vietnam about every 6 weeks, sometimes more often. I enter at BKK on a monthly single entry tourist visa. Never been questioned or denied entry.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For what it is worth I can report that for the past 10 years I have been coming and going from/to Vietnam about every 6 weeks, sometimes more often. I enter at BKK on a monthly single entry tourist visa. Never been questioned or denied entry.

Where is this single entry "30 day tourist visa" obtained ?

Perhaps what was meant is that a 30 day "visa exempt" entry is granted at an airport.

I got a few single entry tourist visas in Phnom Penh before but this was like a year ago.

Yes but presumably you did not have all the stamps in your passport that the OP has listed?

I just found the staff at the embassy in Phnom Penh to be very unfriendly and nitpicking if anyone is going to raise an objection to all the OP's existing stamps in my opinion it's likely to happen there in Cambodia.

No problem !

You just show that you are a genious tourist !

You show all your Hotel bookings for all that entries ,

sure you have them still !!

Thats what a tourist supposed to have !!

You dont have this ??

If I want to get any single visa for your country, I must have confirmed Hotel booking and confirmed return flight !!

and than it takes min 1 month to get a visa !!

Keep visa rules in Thailand and you will not have any problems !!

rasumes ??

So you have been flying BKK - Hanoi every 6 weeks for 10 years, no problem?

Is that DMK or BKK airport?

When getting the visa, do they ask for proof of address? of funds?

"Going to Cambodia (Phnom Penh) to make the Tourist visa there. The question is, is there a difference in which country do i make a Tourist visa? Will they make it, or it will still be counted as the 4th consecutive visa and I will not receive it? If denied, then for how long i need to stay out of Thailand to be able to get Tourist visa?"

Vientiane and Penang are usually considered the easiest places to get visas.

When I lived in Phnom Penh I went with friends to the Thai embassy there and they were VERY rude and strict about giving out visas. I've heard the same thing from others as well.

If Vientiane is not giving you a visa, then I'm not sure Cambodia will be any nicer...it will be up to fate. Just my opinion.

Your best bet might be to go to Penang instead. It is a very busy location with many people making visa runs there, and in my experience the embassy staff are friendly. There are also MANY hostels in the Georgetown area (Chulia Street) that offer Thai Visa services. Maybe a visa service there will have more luck getting you a new tourist visa than you going alone? As far as I know, Russians don't need a visa to enter Malaysia, so no stress there. Trains to Penang (via Butterworth) run daily.

I've always heard 3-6 months is the time away from Thailand needed before they will consider you for tourist visas again, but like all things in Thailand this is up to the immigration officer you meet.

​Did they put a "red stamp" in your book when they told you it was your last entry? Any kind of mark in your passport noting that you won't be allowed back soon?

The last resort option is to get a new passport. This might be easier back in Russia, as passports are usually only replaced in foreign countries if they are damaged or lost ;)...which requires filing a basic police report or getting your damaged passport to your country's embassy. Be sure to research this carefully to ensure you make the right choice. I don't know the details for Russians, as I'm American.

Each consulate make their own visa counting and regulations.If Vientane has not stamped anything on your passport they may still issue a visa, for that you would need to bring proof of funds coming from abroad and a rental contract. Otherwise you can go to Savannakhet, Laos for a double entry tourist visa, or Penang, Malaysya for a single one. You could probably enter visa exempt, but it not recommendable, because you could extend that for a max of 7 days.

If the OP did decide to take the "visa exempt entry" , surely that would be extendable by 30 days , (as of 29 Aug 2014) and not 7 ?

If the OP did decide to take the "visa exempt entry" , surely that would be extendable by 30 days , (as of 29 Aug 2014) and not 7 ?

Russians get their visa exempt entries by way of a bi lateral agreement and are not eligible for the 30 day extension.

Only those that fall under the normal visa exemption scheme are eligible for the 30 day extension.

• Like 1

Thanks for your tips.

Regarding the red stamp - i don't have it. The only marking they made when i received my last visa is blue pen writhing saying "VO TR ครั้งทึ่ 3" (number 3 in circle) on the same page with visa just above it.

Something to specify about my talk with immigration officer. It wasn't me who talked with him, but my GF (Thai). He told her that they won't give me 4th tourist visa next time, and now i can only receive 1 month visa (!) in Lao. After that they were talking about how i can receive NON-O visa after the wedding. When she was retelling me what they were speaking about, i came to conclusion that she didn't understood quite well, and with "1 month visa" he meant 30-day stamp because its the first time i hear about those visas.

• Like 1

In Phnom Penh you are better off using an agent to get your visa, if you decide to get it from there.

Otherwise, try Savannakhet or Vientiane again for a double entry. Even Yangon is quite friendly, I got a non-B there once, not sure if they do double entry tourist visas there, you'd have to ask. But if a single entry is all you need, no problems.

• 6 months later...

Hi Summx!

I'm in very similar situation as you, I have 2 SNG and 1 DBL tourist visas in my passport (no 30-day stamps, though), and I have to stay here 3 more months, after that I'm going back to enjoy Moscow's lovely winter weather.

I have Bangkok-Moscow airplane ticket to show, but not much money in the bank (or cash) to prove funds. Renting a house here so got a rental contract. Planning to go to Vientiane and try to get a 4th tourist visa (I only need a single one).

How did your situation work out in the end? Were you able to get a 4th visa?

--Gene

Hi Summx!

I'm in very similar situation as you, I have 2 SNG and 1 DBL tourist visas in my passport (no 30-day stamps, though), and I have to stay here 3 more months, after that I'm going back to enjoy Moscow's lovely winter weather.

I have Bangkok-Moscow airplane ticket to show, but not much money in the bank (or cash) to prove funds. Renting a house here so got a rental contract. Planning to go to Vientiane and try to get a 4th tourist visa (I only need a single one).

How did your situation work out in the end? Were you able to get a 4th visa?

--Gene

Where were your visas issued? Vientiane only counts back to back visa from them.