Retirement extension procedural change Udon Thani

Same thing at the same office for me. I went in 25 days early for my retirement extension. Very quickly completed but with the same under consideration stamp rather than the full extension stamp. I was told to return on the day my existing extension expired for the full stamp.

I explained that I would be away traveling in Thailand and could not come, hence reporting early as per immigration requirements. OK was the reply, you have to pay ฿1000, and we can do now. Extortion paid, stamp inserted and go home ฿1000 the poorer.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1427357221.958129.jpg

So is it possibly done to renew from the same date the previous one expires?
I don't think anyone can get away without some irregularity being discovered by this office. Last year I went the day before expiry. I was sent away to gather various bits of crap multiple times. Iv never needed to have my landlord complete a form before, or then needed to go and get his id or then go again for his house book, (didn't require this time either). By the time I'd satisfied all of the ridicules requests and the weekend had passed, my old extension had expired 3 days before. Response .... to fix the problem ฿1500.

Go to get a free document for a driving licence, sell or buy a vehicle etc. ฿500, no receipts given for anything of course!

Personally I think that this sort of blatant extortion would warrant a complaint to the Immigration hot-line.

And since it appears to be standard Udon Thani practice for 30-day "under consideration" stamps to be issued for retirement extensions, I suspect that retirees living in that part of the world might be better off applying for extensions of stay on the grounds of marriage instead, if that particular option was open to them. The extra work which this would entail for Udon Thani immigration officers would be some form of sweet revenge!

As I indicated in a previous post the first time that I experienced this delay was last month. All previous extensions were effected on the same day, without any dramas or anyone asking or expecting an under the table payment. Although there was the inconvenience, on this occasion, to have to return a month later, there were no problems experienced, and the whole experience cost 2,900 baht, 1,900.00 for the extension and 1,000 baht for the single re-entry permit.

If there are no problems or only a little inconvenience experienced then why change from what many have been doing for a number of years, even if it was open to them? Don't think changing would affect anyone, other than the person changing, who would have to undertake extra tasks and maybe outlay more funds to obtain additional documents. As both extensions require a similar amount of time to complete, I'd say the only person to suffer would be the passport holder.

Now I am not saying that these allegations are false in respect to Udon Thani, it's just that it's never happened to me and I've never seen any evidence, other than someone saying this or that, to sustain those allegations. So because of what has been said, it has to be accepted as factual. Is this the how it operates?

Now. I'm just asking, but am I the only person, who attends Udon Thani, who has never been asked for, or been expected to pay, one of these so called under the table payments. If this is occurring, then the person who pays is just as complicit in the corruption process, as the one who allegedly sought the payment. In so far as receipts, one only has to ask and you shall receive. Or has the cat got some of your tongues?

Take a look at the photo I posted of my passport in the original reply to this op. Does anything look rather unusual to you?

• Like 2

In so far as receipts, one only has to ask and you shall receive.

I can state from personal experience that this is just wrong.

I took my new passport there last year to have the visa information transferred over. The officer told me it would cost me 500 baht to do this. When I asked, politely, if I would be getting a receipt, he just shook his head. I declined to pay, he refused to do the work. No big deal, but I have to carry both passports when I travel.

Prior to this, I had a request for a receipt refused after I had handed over 500 baht for a residence letter on my first visit there - I didn't know any better at the time.

I make an effort to be presentable and courteous when I go there and I don't get het up if things don't go as planned.

I accept that you and others have never had a problem there - I hope you continue to be fortunate.smile.png

This is what I am trying to understand. When I first experienced this one month's delay, I paid the 1900 baht fee and wasn't given a receipt, so asking for one, was given on straight away. Why did you refuse to pay for letter, just because he did not give you a receipt. No one asks for the receipt when you produce the letter to whoever. As long as you get what you want, why would you refuse to pay? You got the response one would expect, not pay for service, no service.

Despite that, given your post, you seem to be doing everything right so I wonder why are they not providing a receipt following your request. In so far as transferring your information, I had this happen after I (stupidly) put my passport through the wash. Cost was the same and got a receipt. But what I do is always go to the same officer, who now recognises me and actually makes sure he's the one who attends to me.

Do you speak Thai, not saying that this is a prerequisite but if you can, then at least you can ask the officer why and you will find that you will get a better response than the standard head shake. Not all officers there speak English, some understand a little but the two female officers at desk 3 & 4 speak and understand English reasonably well.

May I also ask, even if you have not been given a receipt, would it matter, considering you have a legitimate extension stamp and re-entry permit inserted? After all, with the signature of the officer and being able to trace entries via computer, then the onus is on that officer to account for any funds received. I know it's wrong to assume but one would expect them to have accounting procedures in place that would allow any monies received to be traced and also coincide with the number of different visas, extensions and permits issued. Next time I go I will ask, maybe they are phasing out receipts, who knows, but if receipts are no longer being issued then this might explain your situation. With all matters now computerised it would be highly unlikely that the staff are "Tickling the Peter"

In the time I've been coming to and now residing in Thailand (11 years), I've only been asked to produce my passport five times but have never been asked to produce the receipts for the extensions or re-entry permits. I speak Thai quite well and although there is no need to go with anyone I always do when I visit any government department. The reason, the person you deal with can always deny saying something you may later need to rely on when conducting a business transaction. Just a little safe guard.

Hope you have better experiences in the future.

Same thing at the same office for me. I went in 25 days early for my retirement extension. Very quickly completed but with the same under consideration stamp rather than the full extension stamp. I was told to return on the day my existing extension expired for the full stamp.

I explained that I would be away traveling in Thailand and could not come, hence reporting early as per immigration requirements. OK was the reply, you have to pay ฿1000, and we can do now. Extortion paid, stamp inserted and go home ฿1000 the poorer.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1427357221.958129.jpg

I don't think anyone can get away without some irregularity being discovered by this office. Last year I went the day before expiry. I was sent away to gather various bits of crap multiple times. Iv never needed to have my landlord complete a form before, or then needed to go and get his id or then go again for his house book, (didn't require this time either). By the time I'd satisfied all of the ridicules requests and the weekend had passed, my old extension had expired 3 days before. Response .... to fix the problem ฿1500.

Go to get a free document for a driving licence, sell or buy a vehicle etc. ฿500, no receipts given for anything of course!

Personally I think that this sort of blatant extortion would warrant a complaint to the Immigration hot-line.

And since it appears to be standard Udon Thani practice for 30-day "under consideration" stamps to be issued for retirement extensions, I suspect that retirees living in that part of the world might be better off applying for extensions of stay on the grounds of marriage instead, if that particular option was open to them. The extra work which this would entail for Udon Thani immigration officers would be some form of sweet revenge!

As I indicated in a previous post the first time that I experienced this delay was last month. All previous extensions were effected on the same day, without any dramas or anyone asking or expecting an under the table payment. Although there was the inconvenience, on this occasion, to have to return a month later, there were no problems experienced, and the whole experience cost 2,900 baht, 1,900.00 for the extension and 1,000 baht for the single re-entry permit.

If there are no problems or only a little inconvenience experienced then why change from what many have been doing for a number of years, even if it was open to them? Don't think changing would affect anyone, other than the person changing, who would have to undertake extra tasks and maybe outlay more funds to obtain additional documents. As both extensions require a similar amount of time to complete, I'd say the only person to suffer would be the passport holder.

Now I am not saying that these allegations are false in respect to Udon Thani, it's just that it's never happened to me and I've never seen any evidence, other than someone saying this or that, to sustain those allegations. So because of what has been said, it has to be accepted as factual. Is this the how it operates?

Now. I'm just asking, but am I the only person, who attends Udon Thani, who has never been asked for, or been expected to pay, one of these so called under the table payments. If this is occurring, then the person who pays is just as complicit in the corruption process, as the one who allegedly sought the payment. In so far as receipts, one only has to ask and you shall receive. Or has the cat got some of your tongues?

Take a look at the photo I posted of my passport in the original reply to this op. Does anything look rather unusual to you?

Looking at the picture and from what has been written, it indicates that you attended there on the 4th February 2015. Then to return, in person, on the 6th March 2015. However, your extension of stay was issued the same date and expires on the 4th March 2016, therefore no need to return in March. Of course it was dated the same day it was issued, cannot post date when inputting information into the computer and then issuing an extension. So what is unusual. That you had one stamp dated the 6th March, whilst the issue date on your extension was the 4th February. If you told them after the initial entry was made, then it may well explain the two stamps.

Given that one has not had to pay extra before, then maybe, and I only say maybe, they have now introduced a same day service fee, for circumstances such as yours, whilst others who are prepared to wait are not slugged an additional charge. Just asking but did you ask why the extra fee, did they give a reason? It seems you were told of the new rules but as you had other commitments and could not return on the required date, they provided a service and charged a fee. Just because this was not applicable before and you now accepted what they offered and paid it, one can hardly call it extortion. Just user pays. You had the option to decline or accept but for obvious reasons, you accepted.

In so far as the letter re your license, sure, it's supposed to be free, but again, it is a service and it's not a huge amount. You can either accept or decline, no one stands over you to pay, but if it's needed then one has to pay. You only need to get one, as the traffic office will accept a copy re the motorcycle. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if you stirred the pot but then, when noting the meaning of the word, extortion, it hardly applies in these cases, as you are not forced to accept what is requested, that is up to you but if you do, then all it is, is user pays.

Extorsion it is.

Udon Thani immigration simply found a new way to increase their private officers income.

"30 days stamp under consideration", they know it's no fun having to come back, especially if you live 50 kms away and if you are travelling around you must carefully consider how to plan.

My retirement extension expires 17 jan, went early januari with wife, did not utter a single word, just listened to the crooks and understood an extra 1000B would solve it all here and now.

No proof of payment was made.

No surprise I loathe these people but will not utter one single word with them. They don' really exist for me whistling.gif

I wonder if you attitude comes across when you are there. I'd say it would. Have a look in the mirror, a reflection says a thousand words. So you don't say a word, is that because you do not speak Thai. I'd say not but you certainly have a way with the English language.

Extorsion it is.

Udon Thani immigration simply found a new way to increase their private officers income.

"30 days stamp under consideration", they know it's no fun having to come back, especially if you live 50 kms away and if you are travelling around you must carefully consider how to plan.

My retirement extension expires 17 jan, went early januari with wife, did not utter a single word, just listened to the crooks and understood an extra 1000B would solve it all here and now.

No proof of payment was made.

No surprise I loathe these people but will not utter one single word with them. They don' really exist for me whistling.gif

Pretty much share your feelings for them. I give them their stinking tea money whenever it's needed to get something done.

• Like 1

Looking at the picture and from what has been written, it indicates that you attended there on the 4th February 2015. Then to return, in person, on the 6th March 2015. However, your extension of stay was issued the same date and expires on the 4th March 2016, therefore no need to return in March. Of course it was dated the same day it was issued, cannot post date when inputting information into the computer and then issuing an extension. So what is unusual. That you had one stamp dated the 6th March, whilst the issue date on your extension was the 4th February. If you told them after the initial entry was made, then it may well explain the two stamps.

Given that one has not had to pay extra before, then maybe, and I only say maybe, they have now introduced a same day service fee, for circumstances such as yours, whilst others who are prepared to wait are not slugged an additional charge. Just asking but did you ask why the extra fee, did they give a reason? It seems you were told of the new rules but as you had other commitments and could not return on the required date, they provided a service and charged a fee. Just because this was not applicable before and you now accepted what they offered and paid it, one can hardly call it extortion. Just user pays. You had the option to decline or accept but for obvious reasons, you accepted.

In so far as the letter re your license, sure, it's supposed to be free, but again, it is a service and it's not a huge amount. You can either accept or decline, no one stands over you to pay, but if it's needed then one has to pay. You only need to get one, as the traffic office will accept a copy re the motorcycle. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if you stirred the pot but then, when noting the meaning of the word, extortion, it hardly applies in these cases, as you are not forced to accept what is requested, that is up to you but if you do, then all it is, is user pays.

I presume you are an immigration officer.

• Like 1

I presume you are an immigration officer.

No, so what's your point or are you just being a professional whinger. Given you post I'd say the latter. You asked and I looked and stated what was the obvious. So if you don't want, don't ask. You only had two choices, to pay or not, you paid and now you say it's extortion because you did. No one forced you, you're the one who couldn't find the time to come back, so accept that whatever decision was made, was made by you. But like many here in Thailand, you expect everything for almost no outlay, well stiff, if you want something them pay for it and stop complaining.

A comment about moderation has been removed.

From Forum Rules

"10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy."

There is no corruption in Thailand, sometimes you paid :

- an allowance for emergency procedure

- an indolence compensation

- for an nasty situation outcome

- a sponsoring for police and officials social work

smile.png

I wonder if you attitude comes across when you are there. I'd say it would. Have a look in the mirror, a reflection says a thousand words. So you don't say a word, is that because you do not speak Thai. I'd say not but you certainly have a way with the English language.

What has led you to conclude that the attitude of those who have posted negatively on here after being scammed by the Udon Thani officers might similarly have been more negative beforehand, when compared to the attitude which they displayed in previous years when their retirement extensions were processed in under an hour without the need for any "supplementary payments"?

Edited by OJAS

This has been reported several times for Udon.Thani immigration. It seems they have to get approval from the regional headquarters for extensions.

No reports for anywhere else.

In Kantang Immi it's the same.

But the reason is, it's only a satelitebureau from Immi Satun (you can apply for extention and make 90 day report, for visa you have to go to Satun). So the pass goes to Satun to be signed by the boss.

What has led you to conclude that the attitude of those who have posted negatively on here after being scammed by the Udon Thani officers might similarly have been more negative beforehand, when compared to the attitude which they displayed in previous years when their retirement extensions were processed in under an hour without the need for any "supplementary payments"?

Don't think it has anything to do with being 'negative' or whatever (or not speaking Thai). I have always been very pleasant with Udon Thani Immigration staff (and they have been very pleasant to me too) but their new 'rules' are annoying and can upset and make people angry. Yes, it is unfortunately part of Thai culture that one has to make 'extra or regular payments' to get things done, applies to Thais and Thai businesses too, of course. But the current government apparently trying to reduce the level of these 'special payments' but suddenly all previously free services appearing to cost money at Udon Thani Immigration, just bad timing? And no, Si Thea, often one does not have a choice but to pay up!

Don't think it has anything to do with being 'negative' or whatever (or not speaking Thai). I have always been very pleasant with Udon Thani Immigration staff (and they have been very pleasant to me too) but their new 'rules' are annoying and can upset and make people angry. Yes, it is unfortunately part of Thai culture that one has to make 'extra or regular payments' to get things done, applies to Thais and Thai businesses too, of course. But the current government apparently trying to reduce the level of these 'special payments' but suddenly all previously free services appearing to cost money at Udon Thani Immigration, just bad timing? And no, Si Thea, often one does not have a choice but to pay up!

Or maybe a case of Udon Thani going against the grain?

Edited by OJAS

This has been reported several times for Udon.Thani immigration. It seems they have to get approval from the regional headquarters for extensions.

But the reason is, it's only a satelitebureau from Immi Satun (you can apply for extention and make 90 day report, for visa you have to go to Satun). So the pass goes to Satun to be signed by the boss.

But, as has subsequently been stated, a same-day service for retirement extensions IS, in fact, still available at Udon Thani upon payment of a "supplementary fee" (i.e. bribe).

• Like 1

But, as has subsequently been stated, a same-day service for retirement extensions IS, in fact, still available at Udon Thani upon payment of a "supplementary fee" (i.e. bribe).

quite right, look at my photo near the start of this thread. You will see the stamp and the extension were issued on the same day. The stamp is actually for marriage extensions, they cannot be competed on the same day.
  • Like 1

Has anyone recently been through the marriage extension process at Udon Thani? If so, what happened when you returned near the end of the initial "under consideration" period? Was your passport stamped for the remaining 11 months without any fuss on their part? Or were you asked to pay another 1,000 THB first (and possibly threatened with another 30-day "under consideration" stamp by way of an "inducement")?

Edited by OJAS

So you are saying if someone pays 1000 Thai baht for getting a document because the immigration officers told you so you are complicit the process? I also needed the address verification and has been charged for 500THB each a few months ago. Just after that I read online that the 500THB is not a a real fee only Tea Money. How I know that? Is there any official price list? No..!! When I wanted my 60 days extension to stay with my child they told me new rule, only 30 days but can manage 60 days for 1100 THB extra. I argument too that I never heard of that and I read online I should get 60 days but how I can proof it? Is there any official price list? No. there isn't!! I am pretty sure that there is a reason why there is no price list...

Udon Immigration turns out to be a real money making business for the immigration officers... if I wouldn't be so depend on these guys I would immediately come with my spy cam and record this stuff... but then what? Publish the tape and then this was probably my last extension there... sad.png

• Like 1

SoFarAndNear.

No, did not say what you are alleging, read it again. Do you have trouble comprehending or cannot read? Which is it, one or the other or both? Please highlight my quote regarding what you have stated. People are referring to certain payments as being bribes or acts of extortion. I stated that I was not saying the allegations were false, just that I've never been asked for or expected to pay one of these so called Under The Table Payments, and if this is occurring then those paying are just as complicit in the corruption process, as those allegedly seeking payment. And this is regardless of their needs. I just cannot understand why so many are experiencing problems in different offices, when I have obtained extensions in a number of offices over the years and have never had a single problem.

I have never seen a price list but what I pay is what I originally paid 10 years ago. The only change that has affected me is this new, under consideration period. But as I accepted it and never sought to have my extension completed the same day, (No Need) then there was no solicitation by the officer for any extra payment. This payment may be illegal, it may not. Anyone can assume but no one has any proof that what is being sought, is illegal and that those funds are going into the pocket of the Officers within this particular office, despite the non issuance of receipts. There maybe new rules, who knows, I don't but if I'm told something I take it at face value. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not.

The 500 baht fee for the letter I have been paying since I first obtained my first extension of stay, 9 years ago and I only obtain one when I need to prove my address. When I obtained my two licenses I submitted a copy for the second license it was accepted, so only the 500 baht outlay. And no, no receipt issued, but I have never seen where this money goes. One can assume it's tea money, as you state, but unless you a certain, then we really don't know, do we? As for you additional charge for a 60 day visa extension, I cannot comment, as I have no need for such an extension. Again, it may be illegal, it may not. You can always ask why the extra charge, asking will not cause you any trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone recently been through the marriage extension process at Udon Thani? If so, what happened when you returned near the end of the initial "under consideration" period? Was your passport stamped for the remaining 11 months without any fuss on their part? Or were you asked to pay another 1,000 THB first (and possibly threatened with another 30-day "under consideration" stamp by way of an "inducement")?

According to the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/818299-got-my-marriage-non-o-extensionfirst-time/, marriage extension applicants returning after 30 days do, in fact, appear to be then stamped in for the remaining 11 months without any fuss or requests for financial "donations" to the Udon Thani Tea Club.

So my advice to Udon Thani retirees with Thai wives would be to apply for future extensions of stay based on marriage (unless, of course, they were prepared to make a financial "donation" to the Tea Club for immediate service). I gather that processing a marriage extension involves more work for immigration offices than a retirement extension, so the extra effort to which the corrupt Udon Thani officers would then be put with no financial "benefit" for them would, I think, amount to sweet revenge!tongue.png.pagespeed.ce.JwCxzAWj6xThSDYk

• Like 1

I have just returned from my visit to immigration at udon thani.

I required a new " permission to stay" as my current expires on 6th May and I also wanted a re-entry permit.

Arrived at office at 9.45am , called to service counter at 10.25am..............it was a bit busy but being a monday was to be expected.

All paperwork in order and officer proceeded to stamp the " under consideration" stamp in passport.

I then asked if process could be completed today . Now to all those of high morals who will no doubt jump onto this ------please read it again ......I ASKED !!!!!

I was informed thru the Thai girlfriend that for a 1500B " express processing fee" ( my words not the gf or I/O) it could all be done on the spot.

Otherwise I could return in 1 month for the re-newed permission to stay ( obviously the re-entry could NOT be processed today if the permission to stay was not processed).

It suited me to have everything completed today ............so the express processing fee was paid.

2 pages of passport filled with stamps , fees paid , receipts for permission to stay re-newal and re-entry permit but of course no receipt for " express processing". Out of office by 11.10am.

Now before the moralists jump in ....................many govt depts in many countries offer same day service for an additional fee. It is NOT unusual. OK ---they will usually issue a receipt for this extra fee ( as they should)......................but as I said above it suited me . If you are prepared to wait the 1month .....that is your choice ----if you want same day service that is also your choice.

I was a little more concerned about a few others at the immigration office . One guy was also seeking a re-newal of permission to stay ............but he had accepted a " special offer" at his bank which meant that ,according to his bank book , his money had only been seeded in Thai bank account for 2 mths and 20 days. In fact he has been in Thailand for 10yrs, always played by the rules but on this occassion did not calculate the time factor of the money in bank requirement. the I/O at Udon was able to "overlook" the money seeding issue for a payment of 10000B. I believe that this guys current permission to stay expired TODAY .................so if he were to wait for the money in bank to reach the 3 mths required period he would technically be on overstay by 10 or 11 days.His stay is based on retirement ( hence the 3 mth seeding requirement,). I believe if it were based on marriage then he would have only needed 2 mths.

I'm glad to know I am not alone. But there is corruption all over the world, in 1st world countries much of it is well hidden but it is still there. In many 3rd world countries it is out in the open and just the normal way of doing business. I have never been asked for anything other than normal prices for services rendered here. If a few baht fall into my passport when it goes to the immigration officer, that is up to me. And it makes them smile... If I can't afford that I probably shouldn't be living here. I refuse to judge others that are doing what it takes to make a few baht to support their families. How many of us could live on what they are paid, or on the money they get at retirement?

I was informed thru the Thai girlfriend that for a 1500B " express processing fee" ( my words not the gf or I/O) it could all be done on the spot.

Looks like the "going rate" for same-day service has increased by a whopping 50% since 4 Feb (see post #22)!

many govt depts in many countries offer same day service for an additional fee. It is NOT unusual.

True. But such additional fees are usually well publicised officially and apply across the board, with receipts being issued as a matter of course. None of these criteria apply in the case of Udon Thani Immigration (who AFAIK are alone in immigration offices across LOS in demanding extra payment for same-day service in the case of retirement extensions).

Edited by OJAS

many govt depts in many countries offer same day service for an additional fee. It is NOT unusual.

Yes that is true, Thailand immigration is not one of them. At udon immigration office it is quite simply a way of squeezing money out of its customers, for personal gain. Clear, plain and simple ... Corruption.

Edited by billphillips

@ Si Thea, sorry it looks like, that you do not have a lot of expirience. You mix. things, who have nothing to

do with the others!

It looks like you don't know for what we have to pay and what is free! ........

TiT

I did forgeth to say this. Up to now in not one of the off. websites stays something about

"come back in 30 days".

And Si ... "proof of where you are living (residency)" was and is still free!!

I was end of last year at the immigration too. Then i saw, that they did "the come back in 30 days"

with a guy too.

Then i did go ask, if they like to do this with me too, then if yes, i woud go home and call Bangkok.

I was realy surpriced - a other officer came and checked my passport and did look if i did leave the

country the year before and if i was at my homecountry. After they saw Yes, they told me 'no problem"

and gave me my extension the same day.

May has to do something with visit home countrys or not?