Human Rights Officials Barred From Visiting Alleged Torture Victims in Prison

Lite Beer

Human Rights Officials Barred From Visiting Alleged Torture Victims in Prison

By Khaosod Eng.

14272900041427290518l.jpg

BANGKOK — The Director of Thailand’s National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) was turned away by officials at Bangkok Remand Prison today when he tried to meet with four men who say they were tortured by military officers.

The four men, who are awaiting trial on terrorism charges, told their lawyers they were beaten by soldiers who detained them at an army camp for six days before transferring them to police earlier this month.

One of the suspects said he was electrocuted on his legs “30 – 40” times by soldiers because he refused to confess.

NHRC director Niran Pitakwatchara ® arguing with prison wardens at Bangkok Remand Prison, 25 March 2015.

NHRC director Niran Pitakwatchara visited the prison today with forensic science experts from the Ministry of Justice in an effort to investigate the torture claims.

However, prison wardens said the group could not meet with the suspects because the visit had not been authorized by the Department of Correction’s director.

"I am here as a director of the NHRC," Niran fumed after an argument with the prison wardens ensued. "I am a state official. I am not an NGO."

Speaking to reporters afterward, Niran said he sent a letter to the Department of Correction on 20 March.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1427290004&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-03-25

• Like 1

Well! I don't know where you are from. But you can't just walk into a prison demanding to see someone no matter where you work without permission from the proper authority. I said hehee because its good to see power people from any office get put in their place.

I am not however condoning the length of time to process his request to see those men. To me it seems like they are waiting for those men's wounds to heal.

• Like 1

NHRC official fails to visit grenade attack suspects
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE NATIONAL Human Rights Commission (NHRC) yesterday was barred from visiting bomb suspects in prison who claimed they had been tortured while in Army custody. The alleged victims had been charged with launching a hand-grenade attack in front of the Criminal Court on Ratchadaphisek Road earlier this month.

"I came here as a state official, not as an NGO," said NHRC member Niran Pitakwatchara, adding he was not given permission by an official at the Bangkok Remand Prison.

Niran said last Friday he had made a request to the Corrections Department, asking for a visit. On arrival yesterday at the Bangkok Remand Prison, Niran found his request was still awaiting the approval of the director-general of the Corrections Department.

He went on to claim that the Department had spent almost four days examining the request, but had still failed to give an answer to the NHRC.

"This has never happened before," said Niran, adding that such a visit can normally be done without permission of the department - to ensure an officer does not set the scene in advance and mislead the NHRC as to the real situation.

Niran added that it was a universal practice that the NHRC in every country should be allowed to gain access to victims to prevent the violation of human rights.

"This time, it is extremely urgent as the visit has been requested by United Nations [also] and other human rights organisations worldwide," argued Niran.

He added that this visit was undertaken with the aim of ensuring transparency and the openness of state agencies.

"This visit is in line with the principles that we have adopted," he said, referring to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NHRC-official-fails-to-visit-grenade-attack-suspec-30256780.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-26

Wounds haven't healed yet. Come back next week.

And with their attitude adjusted they also have to be well rehearsed and word perfect when explaining it was all a misunderstanding and that they'e received 5 star hospitality.

Fact is, Thailand and its authorities doesn't care about human rights.

They torture. That's a fact, even nobody can prove it. Because, it is done behind door and bars.

Another fact is, Thailand prisons, doesn't comply with any international convention or signed agreement. (They have 0,5 qm per prisoner)

Fact is, Thailand wants to be part of the international community, but doesn't care about anything.

It really need an embargo, to bring this country on the right way, and to respect some basics of human rights.

Edited by SuwadeeS
  • Like 2

The real question here is, do suspects ready to injure/kill innocent people by throwing grenades at them, deserve to have their human rights observed? You/your family could have got killed/injured by those "freedom-fighters".

• Like 1

Using the words 'Human Rights' and 'Thailand' in the same sentence is a joke.

Take a look at the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights to which Thailand is a signatory ... see if you can name one article that they don't break on a daily basis. Calling Thailand a backward, violent and draconian nation is being kind to say the least.

Had a friend who was locked up there they tried same thing with me till I came back with embassy staff in tow along with an Thai official amazing how quick same paperwork shown just an hour before suddenly became in order. The Thai official was one who granted me access to see friend in Remand.

The real question here is, do suspects ready to injure/kill innocent people by throwing grenades at them, deserve to have their human rights observed? You/your family could have got killed/injured by those "freedom-fighters".

Everybody deserves their human rights observed, then and only then can we be assured that justice is served correctly. Would you be happy if one of your family was killed / injured by someone who later avoids punishment due to some brain dead police or the like gets their rocks off with torture only to be then used against them in court? I think not, so wrap them in cotton wool, treat them as fragile and burn their asses through the legal system.

Would it not be more than likely that torture is used to get false confessions rather than true ones, and to ensure if that they may be associated with the crime in anyway, the top players are protected. In this case the current Government.

• Like 1

do suspects ready to injure/kill innocent people by throwing grenades at them, deserve to have their human rights observed...

Hm, that leads to another real question:

Isn’t the answer to that contingent on who decides over the subject? It is quite common here that different judgment appears to different people. However, if that is part of the legal system, they should have never signed any commitment to human rights at all.

• Like 1

So Niran got kicked off his horse trying to make an unauthorized unscheduled visit to a prison facility to question people who have been detained and claiming torture. Heheee!

Please help me to understand your comment as I suspect that you must know something I don't. From what I read, Niran said he sent a letter to the Department of Correction on 20 March.

You end your comment with "Heheee!" It looks as if you are suggesting that Niran is not on the right side. Can you explain or elaborate?

I can elaborate - the guy is insane.

So Niran got kicked off his horse trying to make an unauthorized unscheduled visit to a prison facility to question people who have been detained and claiming torture. Heheee!

Hardly a laughing matter if I understand the juvenile "Heheee!".

Well! I don't know where you are from. But you can't just walk into a prison demanding to see someone no matter where you work without permission from the proper authority. I said hehee because its good to see power people from any office get put in their place.

I am not however condoning the length of time to process his request to see those men. To me it seems like they are waiting for those men's wounds to heal.

" I said hehee because its good to see power people from any office get put in their place".

I don't know where anyone's place is, as I can only determine where my place is.

This seems to be an issue between two departments in the Thai government and way over my level of experience.

Ineresting is that till now no one, not even the knowledgeble posters have managed to present a timeline of events. Like

- day 1 detained

- day x turned over to police, photo's made by press, general impression

- day x + ? lawyers gain access

- day x + ? claims emerge

- day x + ? photo's emerge

- day x + ? HRW submits request to visit

- day x + ? HRW receives confirmation on visit / denied visiting permission

- day x + ? HRW tries to visit, but denied access

in all cases above with "x + ?" need the correct date & time stamp and I did not put them in the correct order as I do not know the correct order.

By default, there are no human rights in Thailand. There is no Constitution and the country is ruled by a military Junta. Human rights come with Democracy, you can't have one without the other.

If by default there are no human rights in Thailand that would seem to suggest to be independent of whatever state and/or government form there is.

For your information, Thailand does have a Constitution, Thailand in under Martial Law and normal laws are still applicable as long as not overruled under Martial Law .

As for "can't have one without the other", you mean 'in principle' maybe as in practise you can.

I understand that in the days of Alcatraz, your "rights" were to food, shelter and medical care and NOTHING else - has society gone "soft" since then? coffee1.gif Prison cannot be a home away from home!

If the Thai prison authorities have nothing to hide then let the Human Rights Commissioner in? whistling.gif

• Like 1

From "International Human Rights Standards for Prison Officials" (UNHCR)

All cruel, inhuman or degrading punishments are completely prohibited, including corporal punishment or placing in a dark cell.

Every prisoner shall have the right to make a complaint regarding his or her treatment and, unless the complaint is evidently frivolous, to have it dealt with promptly...

Any individual who alleges that he or she has been subjected to torture has the right to complain and to have the case promptly and impartially examined by competent authorities

States shall ensure a prompt and impartial investigation whenever there are reasonable grounds to believe that an act of torture or ill-treatment has been committed.

A training guide, not sure there is a Thai version though.

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/training11Add3en.pdf

"A training guide, not sure there is a Thai version though."

Thailand is a signatory to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (1966)

The terms of that treaty are then expressed in a variety of more specific activities, such as the guidelines for prison officials. But as you imply, who knows if Thai officials are aware, or even care?