rights of a tenant against an intrusive Landlord?

If the door handle is round knob, buy a lockable cover. Quite common here and sold wherever they sell padlocks. Looks like a small chrome beer can. Slip it over the door knob and put a padlock on. Stops people accessing the lock or turning the knob. Sorry can't find a picture. Yet...

You beat me to it.

In the event of a catastrophic event inside the flat ( eg flood from broken pipe ) can be cut off with a grinder without damaging the door.

And if they never got around to fixing it we would be responding to that as well. This is Thailand...its not the same place as your home country. If little things like this get you upset try Singapore.

I am a landlord but not in Thailand (yet). They probably thought they were being prompt & proactive. This could have been a post about "asked land lord 20 times over 3 months but no action."........ Suggest you open conversation by wai-ing politely & thanking for the prompt action on the repair, but next time please....... etc.

Landlord must have a key so ignore the suggestions about changing locks unless it has really deteriorated over several incidents and you are ready to move outat short notice if it comes to that.

Landlord must have a key

LOL. I lived in a room in Pattaya and padlocked the door, with the hasp provided. Landlord definitely did NOT have the key.

Several posters have written things on the lines of "the landlord must have a key" or "the landlord has the right to have a key".

I disagree. The landlord has no such right, nor (with a properly-worded contract) does he have any right of entry other than one for which adequate and acceptable notice has been given.

My rental contract had such a clause and when I moved in I informed the agent immediately that I would be fitting a new security lock and that no one would be getting a key. They could take it or leave it but there was no way that I would ever provide a key. They accepted it, of course. Had they refused I simply would not have started the rental.

As for leaks etc, in condo buildings the main water valve is accessed from outside the unit for precisely this reason and as far as I know it is the same in houses.

In case of some other emergency it would be quicker to break the door down than to wait for some owner or agent to arrive.

No they can not enter without your permission at all. If there is any CCTV you check it and if it show that they enter your home complain to the police. Make sure you have not lost anything if you have done put it on your complain. Even if there is no CCTV just complain to the police and mention someone is coming to my room without my permission and it is probably your landlord.

It's a bit weird, because 99,99% of the landlords expect the locks on the main-doors to be changed or at least a lock (pad-lock) will be added.

99,99% of the landlords know that who ever will rent the house would like to do that.

99,99% of the tennants will change the locks or add a pad-lock to keep former tennants out.

As a friendly gesture you could give the landlord a set of the new keys.

In all the homes I've rented there was never a landlord who entered the home without prior notice just for one simple reason............They will never be blamed if something is missing, damaged or wrong in the house.