As Ruble plunges, so does Russian tourism in Thailand

webfact

So let us all name one good thing the Russians and the Chinese have done to contribute to Thailand. Other than it's tourism coffers, proceeds of which go directly to the treasury/trough. ONE thing. I've never heard of any philanthropy from either group. It simply isn't in their cultural makeup, much like the Thais. With exception of the Thai Muslims who I today saw raising a big fundraiser at one of the mosques here on Phuket, for the out of work.

Do tourists normally contribute anything to the countries they visit? Other than picking up some rubbish during organized clean up days, I think most tourists visit museums, do outdoor activities, eat/drink and be happy. I think most tourism is aimed at leisure, not contributing. I don't think it matters where the tourists come from.

So let us all name one good thing the Russians and the Chinese have done to contribute to Thailand. Other than it's tourism coffers, proceeds of which go directly to the treasury/trough. ONE thing. I've never heard of any philanthropy from either group. It simply isn't in their cultural makeup, much like the Thais. With exception of the Thai Muslims who I today saw raising a big fundraiser at one of the mosques here on Phuket, for the out of work.

Do tourists normally contribute anything to the countries they visit? Other than picking up some rubbish during organized clean up days, I think most tourists visit museums, do outdoor activities, eat/drink and be happy. I think most tourism is aimed at leisure, not contributing. I don't think it matters where the tourists come from.

I agree somewhat, but when I'm a tourist I seem to spend a lot more money than when I'm a resident. Right off the bat I rent a car and check into a hotel, creating jobs and I assume profits. I eat every meal in a restaurant. I tend to buy things I either forgot or just planned to not be luggage.

I really don't think most Russians or Chinese do at that (price point) level, but I know other westerners who do.

Edited by NeverSure

Yeah, and they have invaded Vietnam in full force , hundreds & hundreds of them - Nha Trang was full of them during Tet, you could hear them arguing over about a 25 cent (5,000 dong) raise in the price of a can of cold beer on Nha Trang Beach. You should have heard these people yelling over that. Stealing shrimp or a crab off some old ladies Barbie,bah.gif after an hour of that, I packed up and found another place, full of Vietnamese, had a pleasant afternoon after that. clap2.gif

I remember the days when I got 78 baht to the pound sterling. When I left Thailand it was down to 49. Certainly I feel sorry for any retiree trying to live off a state pension as prices continue to increase along with the rise of the baht.

78 baht to the pound woulda caused me a busted liver