Overstay - A Hypothetical Situation

Are you saying that when you do your 90 day reporting, you don't need to show proof of funds?

Correct. Not required.

My points about it being a bit daft is there's no great penalties for overstaying. I wouldn't call a fine of 20,000 baht a big deal for overstaying 10-15 years.

Extensions for 10 years cost Bt 19,000, pay 1,900 a year. No convenience under any aspect in staying illegally.

Are you saying that when you do your 90 day reporting, you don't need to show proof of funds?

Correct. Not required.

My points about it being a bit daft is there's no great penalties for overstaying. I wouldn't call a fine of 20,000 baht a big deal for overstaying 10-15 years.

Extensions for 10 years cost Bt 19,000, pay 1,900 a year. No convenience under any aspect in staying illegally.

Apart from not having to have the required funds then I would agree.

In that case, some people pays to obtain an extension with a a corrupt agent, where the officer fails to to verify the seasoning required. That is illegal, but so far no case has been been prosecuted.

Other people, that would not qualify because younger than 50 and not married, uses tourist visa all time.

It's never a smart choice to stay illegally. it also removes the few rights that a foreigner has.

Edited by paz

Correct. Not required.

I have done 7 extensions and have never showed any money in the bank. I just show proof of my income form my embassy once a year when I apply for my extension.