Prayut to enact new NCPO announcement to replace martial law enforcement

Lite Beer

Very scary times indeed.

And a sad day for Thailand.

Calm down!!!

Just because he has the power doesn't mean he will use it. It is a deterrent and nothing else.

Why are people not panicking because Russia and the US could destroy the world several times over with their nuclear capacity? True?

Get a grip. I doubt that it will be used at all, only if the anti-coup nutters decide to stir things up a little because Prayut has made them impotent do I foresee a need to use it. Go and have a cup of tea, think it through properly as to what it means and enjoy life as you won't even notice a single change in your daily life!!

Anyone would think that the sky has fallen on your head w00t.gif.

In a way you are right.

But

This is not about you and me. Many of us have Thai families/children, and it is about their future.

Lived here for many years under various governments, and honestly it hasn't made any difference to my personal life who has been in charge.

But I engage in the political debate here, because I want my Thai daughter to be able to go to the ballot box, cast her vote and have her voted respected!!

It's commendable that you hold your family as being what you care about the most, but don't worry, Thailand will be in a much better place come the time that your daughter gets to vote - a much better place, believe me!!!

the last 80 some-odd years of military domination in Thai politics have demonstrably not made Thailand a much better place. Therefore, I definitely do not believe you...

And JOC, like myself, would like to see our kids be able to cast their votes and have those votes respected... A very simple way to say - sovereignty belongs to the people and no one else.

We in the west are no better at demanding TRUE democracy than the Thai's are. Our two party systems, especially in the USA, are just a dog and pony show to make the public think they have a choice. But both major parties are indirectly controlled by the same multi-national mega corporations and the ultra wealthy global families that own controlling interest. It's called fascism. Mussolini called it "corporitivo" - "corporatism". But at least Americans are finally waking up to that which is probably why the last elections in 2014 had the lowest voter turnout in history and congress approval rating is only 7%. Sorry, I got slightly off topic but still relevant.

Quute right.

Ironically it's Yanks here that do most of the criticizing. They are so brainwashed thinking that they have democracy but subconsciously know they don't so love trying to bring Thailand down.

Quite wrong. What a waste of bloody time attacking Americans, when there are excellent of examples of representative governments in Asia. Taiwan has done extremely well managing itself. They did not go the Singapore route, and they are freer than Japan. They get far too little praise due to global politics. Continue attacking the Americans if you must, as it may be the only thing you are able to bring to the forum.

there is a bigger picture here and most don't see it yet

dont think the obvious

as this is all mis direction away from the bigger picture

Many see the bigger picture. However, we are not allowed to talk about it.

• Like 1

.......and I trust that you will credit me if it is not used ie: over and above the powers he holds with marshal law and if the ensuing peace is kept.

You've just moved the goal posts there lucky my friend. You said he'd never use it whatsoever now it's "ohh he might for some reasons" come on now play fair! ;)

Imagine the potential censoring the mods will have to deal with in the future. I already get so much deleted for sarcastic jokes about corruption, they will have to hire more mods.

When Article 44 takes effect there will be no more public forums, so get in while you can.

Amazing.. You all wanted martial law lifting. He's lifting it.. To replace it with an article that has been in place for over 10 months. Any surprises there.. Nope!

He's said many a time, work with me and we can progress and get everything sorted.. Dunno if anything WILL get sorted but we will have to see.. It's obvious that he isn't go to bow to pressure until he's done the job that he said he would do. Personally I still give him the benefit of doubt to his final actions.

Has Anyone heard that more prisons are to be built.. Did I understand that there will be EXECUTIONS at PMs will ? So now who wants to leave Thailand ? Maybe lots of Thais

Of course more prisons are being built. They are overcrowded and have been for over 10 years!

Please leave it as is.

Under the Martial law we enjoy, peace, order and free movement. Opposed to the "democratic" riots, road blocks and traffic jams.

I prefer it like this.

Your me first or peace at any price philosophy just shows the decline of western values.

We in the west are no better at demanding TRUE democracy than the Thai's are. Our two party systems, especially in the USA, are just a dog and pony show to make the public think they have a choice. But both major parties are indirectly controlled by the same multi-national mega corporations and the ultra wealthy global families that own controlling interest. It's called fascism. Mussolini called it "corporitivo" - "corporatism". But at least Americans are finally waking up to that which is probably why the last elections in 2014 had the lowest voter turnout in history and congress approval rating is only 7%. Sorry, I got slightly off topic but still relevant.

Quute right.

Ironically it's Yanks here that do most of the criticizing. They are so brainwashed thinking that they have democracy but subconsciously know they don't so love trying to bring Thailand down.

How do you know who does the most criticizing here? You have a way to keep score? As a Yank, I'd say Miami Bob did a very good job of summarizing a global political problem. And your response? Bashing Yanks. IMO the only change that will happen in the USA will be brought on by a revolution. A wise minority had that vision in the 60's. I was too young to see it then and too old to do it now. And where are YOU from oh great and mighty Sawan Chan who are so much better than Yanks?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

>>Prayut said the Cabinet did not discuss the lifting of martial law during its meeting at the Hua Hin Cabinet retreat Friday because the issue is under his authority as the NCPO chief.<<

Why waste time and taxpayer money on playing democracy??

Prayut is clearly aiming at absolute power!!

Like I said way back he has a long term plan.

Simply complying with the current laws of the land would be a good start in reducing and sorting out the country's immediate problems.

The problem is one of education, attitude and culture. Without the rule of law there is no democracy. How can you expect there to be any kind of recognition of the law when the people here break the laws at every twist and turn?

• Like 1

Very scary times indeed.

Calm down!!!

Just because he has the power doesn't mean he will use it. It is a deterrent and nothing else.

Why are people not panicking because Russia and the US could destroy the world several times over with their nuclear capacity? True?

Get a grip. I doubt that it will be used at all, only if the anti-coup nutters decide to stir things up a little because Prayut has made them impotent do I foresee a need to use it. Go and have a cup of tea, think it through properly as to what it means and enjoy life as you won't even notice a single change in your daily life!!

No it doesn't mean he will use it but it will be there and in the hands of an intolerant individual with a hair trigger temper which makes the chances of some aspect of the power being used highly likely and if he starts to feel really threatened ... !

Many powerful people had a temper tantrum on occasions - take that bat Thatcher, she lost her cool. I am sure there are others. even Obama has his moments.

Bear in mind that Prayut is a novice politician thrown in at the deep end. He has gone full speed trying to solve Thailand's ills and clean up the filthy mess that the previous government left behind in it's inglorious wake!! He is human and when he is trying his utmost, explaining to the people what he is doing and importantly, why and then you get the press asking him dumb questions that he has given the answer to on numerous occasions then is it a surprise that he lets off steam occasionally through sheer frustration at their stupidity?

Who can threaten him? even Obama's lot failed.

He won't use article 44. on a single occasion if peace is maintained during his short tenure.

QUOTE:

Prayut is a novice politician thrown in at the deep end

No he wasnt thrown in he dived in of his own accord

QUOTE:

He has gone full speed trying to solve Thailand's ills and clean up the filthy mess that the previous government left behind in it's inglorious wake!!

No he hasnt, he has only suppressed the peoples will and the rest I have already mentioned.

QUOTE:

He is human and when he is trying his utmost, explaining to the people what he is doing and importantly, why

No he hasnt

QUOTE:

then you get the press asking him dumb questions that he has given the answer to on numerous occasions

There is no such thing as a dumb question and he hasnt answered any of them, just pushed it aside, because it doesnt suit his agenda, and thats when he looses his cool.

• Like 2

I don't recall using those exact same words. However, if you had said this about the US then that would stand up to scrutiny.

The constitution will result in free and fair elections because irresponsible populist policies will be forbidden and perpetual lies and false promises to sway voters voting intentions will also be outlawed as they are an unethical and immoral means towards garnering support.

The elections, when they are held, will be freer and fairer than they will have ever been - the new electoral system will ensure that.

Prayut, like Suthep promised he would, will have walked away from politics for good proud in the notion as to what and how much he has achieved.

I think that a lot of TV posters are going to be surprised how rosy things will turn out and maybe one day they will wake up and laugh about how irrational their arguments were and how wrong their thinking was on this very subject!! I, on the other hand will have a happy life in Thailand reflecting on how well things ended up after the violence and killings in the dark old days of my early years in Thailand, thanks to Prayut.

It is quite obvious that you really don't have a grasp on the realities of the new constitution.

The goal is not to better Thailand, but just to keep out the political foes. If you consider the repressive Thailand of the 80's to be rosy, then things will turn out "rosy" for you. But based on your comments, I see you identify with tired, old reactionaries.

But for the rest of the country, they will be a sent back 30 years.

No, I don't, and neither do you as even the draft hasn't come out yet.

The newly drawn up electoral system (once it is finalised) will keep the 'bad boys' away. They may even opt out as the potential for ill gotten riches won't be there for them any more.

Instead, you will get educated MPs that will have learnt from the past mistakes of ignoring the plight of the poor and disadvantaged people and will make sure that they are not neglected as before.

Thai politics will spring into the modern world and secure it's future with this improved 'out of all recognition' constitution!! Everyone will be happy, the farmers will be growing new crops (organic I hope) and they will finally shake off the shackles of poverty.

A new form of (diluted) democracy will appear and corruption will take a nose dive - either that, or build several more prisons.

Thailand will be the envy of Asia and the role model to look up to. Think I rate Prayut, you bet I do!!!

QUOTE:

hey may even opt out as the potential for ill gotten riches won't be there for them any more.

OR they may find themselves on the wrong team and the ill gotten riches being diverted elsewhere

QUOTE:

instead, you will get educated MPs

So he will improve schools, get electricity and computers to the 2000 schools without it, open up enquiring minds and encourage questioning and reasoning to the masses?

QUOTE:

Everyone will be happy,

OR sent in for attitude readjustment...

QUOTE:

he farmers will be growing new crops

for the Elite reigning Thailand

QUOTE:

and they will finally shake off the shackles of poverty.

and accept their position in the greater scheme of things

QUOTE:

A new form of (diluted) democracy will appear and corruption will take a nose dive - either that, or build several more prisons.

For those questioning the new Thai order !!!

• Like 1

>>Gen Prayut said Section 44 would be exercised in the form of an order of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO). An NCPO order is more powerful than any other forms of laws or orders, he added.<< Quote

Come on junta-lovers and explain to the rest of us, that the general is a well meaning man, who only have Thailands best in sight!!

Reconciliation?? My backside!!

A last desperate attempt to keep the elite and their mighty sponsors at the trough!!

Wonder when ordinary Thai people are going to reach the breaking point??

This gives him absolute power and is untouchable and answers to nobody. He cannot be held accountable for any actions. A week ago he said if he had more power he would execute those who opposed him, now he has granted himself ultimate power.

His supporters on here drop at his feet and claim he has been sent from above, personally I don't think he was sent from above.

I see dark times ahead as Thailand slips into its darkest era in history. No person should have such power over the people.

if you read thailands history, you'll see that some of the brightest timesbhave been whilst under martial law.You don't understand what Thais really think.

But I understand that (the majority of) Thais have NEVER been educated, taught to question and even reason.

They have NEVER been educated !!! I wonder why, I dont think it was because of the lack of money but the decisions of where it was important to spend that money and for what reasons....

• Like 1

>>Gen Prayut said Section 44 would be exercised in the form of an order of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO). An NCPO order is more powerful than any other forms of laws or orders, he added.<< Quote

Come on junta-lovers and explain to the rest of us, that the general is a well meaning man, who only have Thailands best in sight!!

A last desperate attempt to keep the elite and their mighty sponsors at the trough!!

This gives him absolute power and is untouchable and answers to nobody. He cannot be held accountable for any actions. A week ago he said if he had more power he would execute those who opposed him, now he has granted himself ultimate power.

His supporters on here drop at his feet and claim he has been sent from above, personally I don't think he was sent from above.

I see dark times ahead as Thailand slips into its darkest era in history. No person should have such power over the people.

if you read thailands history, you'll see that some of the brightest timesbhave been whilst under martial law.You don't understand what Thais really think.

But I understand that (the majority of) Thais have NEVER been educated, taught to question and even reason.

They have NEVER been educated !!! I wonder why, I dont think it was because of the lack of money but the decisions of where it was important to spend that money and for what reasons....

What nonsense all Thais in the last 60 years have some form of education and certainly the under 35's have a decent education!

Very scary times indeed.

Calm down!!!

No it doesn't mean he will use it but it will be there and in the hands of an intolerant individual with a hair trigger temper which makes the chances of some aspect of the power being used highly likely and if he starts to feel really threatened ... !

Many powerful people had a temper tantrum on occasions - take that bat Thatcher, she lost her cool. I am sure there are others. even Obama has his moments.

Bear in mind that Prayut is a novice politician thrown in at the deep end. He has gone full speed trying to solve Thailand's ills and clean up the filthy mess that the previous government left behind in it's inglorious wake!! He is human and when he is trying his utmost, explaining to the people what he is doing and importantly, why and then you get the press asking him dumb questions that he has given the answer to on numerous occasions then is it a surprise that he lets off steam occasionally through sheer frustration at their stupidity?

Who can threaten him? even Obama's lot failed.

He won't use article 44. on a single occasion if peace is maintained during his short tenure.

Despite the evidence, in your last few posts, that you have a somewhat tennuous grasp of what is happening here, you really are sticking your neck out with this prediction!

• Like 2

Martial law to be lifted: PM

Nitipol Kiravanich,

Wiraj Sripong,

Opas Boonlom

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Preparations under way, says Prayut, but he has not discussed the matter with Cabinet

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has said he is about to lift martial law and issue an order to deal with security issues.

However, he said he had not discussed this matter with the Cabinet and that it was his idea.

Prayut, who also heads the National Council for Peace and Order, said he was waiting for the right time to issue the order under Article 44 of the post-coup provisional charter, which gave him extensive powers as the NCPO leader.

"The preparation is under way. You will know the order is issued when it is issued," he said yesterday.

According to Prayut, the order will be announced before he seeks a royal command to lift martial law, which has been in effect since the coup he led last May.

The prime minister yesterday chaired the Cabinet's retreat in Hua Hin. The lifting of martial law was not on the meeting agenda.

The government has been under constant pressure to lift martial law from the private sector, human rights groups and foreign countries.

Political observers and critics yesterday voiced opposition to invoking Article 44 of the provisional charter to replace martial law.

Human rights lawyer Somchai Homlaor said Article 44 gave General Prayut, in his capacity as NCPO chief, "unlimited and absolute" power - with the end result of making it worse than martial law.

"This clause is dictatorial and it restricts the rights and liberties of people," Somchai said. "If Article 44 is used to replace martial law, Thailand's image in the eyes of the international community will get worse. In fact, Article 44 should be repealed."

Article 44 states that "In cases where the head of the National Council for Peace and Order is of the opinion that it is necessary for the benefit of reform and to strengthen public unity and harmony, or for the prevention, disruption or suppression of any act which undermines public peace and order or national security, the monarchy, national economy or administration of state affairs, he shall have the power to make any order to disrupt or suppress regardless of the legislative, executive or judicial force of that order."

Somchai said that the "outdated" martial law should be amended through the National Legislative Assembly to make it better reflect the current situation, such as allowing visits by relatives of those being detained under martial law.

He said that either the Internal Security Act or the emergency law was a better alternative than martial law. "They both are less severe than martial law," he added.

Thammasat University political science lecturer Attasit Pankaew said there was no necessity to use Article 44 instead of martial law.

The authority given under Article 44 is more than martial law, and the junta will be able to do virtually anything under this law, Attasit stressed.

"Article 44 leaves a lot of space for interpretation, meaning the public does not know what the junta could do or could not do with their authority," the political scientist said.

He said the first thing that needed to be done was to determine whether it was necessary to use Article 44, as social stability had returned under the junta.

He said there were people who opposed the junta government, but no violent acts had been committed that warranted invoking such a strong law.

Suriyan Thongnu-eiad, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, agreed that there was no reason for the government to use Article 44.

He said that right now there were no violent issues in society, as contrasting ideas had not led to social conflict.

"Using Article 44 would be similar to Thailand's old dictatorship eras like Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat's time, which is not in accordance with the modern society," Suriyan said.

He said that the law was highly inappropriate for modern times, because everyone knew that no one could control other people's ideas.

"If the junta really insists on using this law, it would be similar to a person using pesticides on vegetables that have weeds. The person who uses pesticides on his own vegetables will die when he eats them," he said.

He said there were other laws to maintain social stability.

Anti-coup activist Sombat Boonngam-anong, who was arrested and faces a military court hearing, agreed the government could maintain stability without using these special measures.

"The government would earn more respect from the domestic and international community if they maintain internal order by using normal laws," Sombat said.

He added that martial law was normally used in situations where society was suffering from instability, but it was peaceful now and there was no reason for people to hold political protests.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Martial-law-to-be-lifted-PM-30256963.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-03-28

now come out thaksin haters and junta lovers,compared to prayuth,thaksin is a mini criminal

He can announce and proclaim to the international community that he lifted martial law only to replace it with absolute dictatorship. Didn't he just admit that the lifting of martial law is solely up to him? 1+1 =2 to most homosavions. But to him 1+1=1. What does that tell you?

It tells me that Prayut has been clever and that you don't have a spell-checker (or word-checker) if there is such a thing.

Do you think that because article 44. is to be brought in that Prayut will morph into Adolf Hitler overnight?

Your take on reality is unreal!!

"I" before "E", except after "C", or except if Prayut says so :)

Contradiction followed by another. Double negative makes positive. It's a win win situation for sure now coffee1.gifw00t.gif

PM to lift martial law, invoke Section 44 of interim constitution

3-27-2015-8-13-05-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government is preparing to lift the martial law, which has been imposed since May 20 last year, and will instead invoke Section 44 of the interim constitution to exercise its power to maintain law and order in the country, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said after the mobile cabinet meeting in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Hua Hin district on Friday.

When asked by reporters about the criteria for lifting the martial law, Gen Prayut declined to go in detail, saying only that it is his responsibility to keep the situation under control.

“To make it clear, I am now preparing to invoke Section 44 (of the interim constitution) to replace the martial law,” Gen Prayut said.

Gen Prayut said Section 44 would be exercised in the form of an order of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO). An NCPO order is more powerful than any other forms of laws or orders, he added.

He said the invocation of Section 44 would depend on the situation. It would be mainly used to guarantee safety of the people’s lives and property and prevent unrest and violence in the country, he added.

Gen Prayut said Section 44 of the interim constitution would be invoked after the martial law, which has been imposed since May 20, two days before the May 22 coup, has been lifted.

The prime minister said the next step for him to do was to forward a draft announcement to revoke the martial law to His Majesty the King for endorsement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-to-lift-martial-law-invoke-section-44-of-interim-constitution

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-03-27

Here. Let me channel Hillary Diane Rodham: "What difference does it make?" lol whistling.gif That about sums it up. Personally I could care less what from of governance this country adopts. If folks aren't rioting in the streets, all's well imho. Look at the reality of this world. How many of the most vocal proponents of 'Democracy' are DINOs. What's a DINO: Democracies in Name Only. Unless Thailand devolves into a Stalinistic totalitarian state where folks are being taken out to the rice fields and made into fertilizer, I don't really care. Remember? We're just guests. thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm wondering if there are many who work for this guy who actually like him and are emotionally on his team. I'm looking at all of those people and wondering what they are thinking.........

Chop chop! maybe.

What nonsense all Thais in the last 60 years have some form of education and certainly the under 35's have a decent education!

You think? I had a GF that was certainly not stupid and she didnt even know we had landed on the moon until we looked at it through a telescope I dont think she even realised what it was. I had to show her Appolo 13 and tell her this really happened. Until then the moon was for knowing when to plant the rice.

How can an education system that does not encourage questioning and passes everyone as long as you attend the exam at the end of the year be deemed a decent education?

I have had ladies working for be with Bachelors in various fields and their education was not up to my 1975 high school education, but then I try never to stop learning and question / analyze why and how, something that is sadly lacking in the majority of Thai society!!

As I stated previously 2000 schools in Thailand have no electricity, so computers are not going to be much good are they? How many children does this affect?

I think the key to your statement is ¨some form of education¨, that doesn´t make it a proper or decent education does it (or even an education at all).

When the current PM states that he couldn´t do a primary schooler´s homework as it was too difficult, that is a worry !!!

Amen! My wife's good friend is the head English teacher at the local gov't school. Know what she can say to me? BYE BYE! I've also spent some good money sending a niece to private school primarily for the language opportunity. 4 years later as a 10 year old she cannot even say BYE BYE! The education system here sucks and it is by design. How can you have an elite society without the peons?

• Like 2