Saudis 'very pleased' with US support for Yemen air campaign

Lite Beer

Saudis 'very pleased' with US support for Yemen air campaign
BRADLEY KLAPPER, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Saudi Arabia on Friday praised the U.S. for helping an Arab air campaign against Yemen's rebels.

The Saudi ambassador in Washington, Adel al-Jubeir, said the U.S. has been "very supportive" of the operation politically and logistically. He said the kingdom is "very pleased" with the level of coordination with the U.S., which has established a joint planning cell with Saudi Arabia to coordinate U.S. and military and intelligence support.

Al-Jubeir spoke Friday after meetings with State Department officials.

Separately on Friday, President Barack Obama spoke by telephone with Saudi King Salman to discuss recent developments in Yemen.

Saudi Arabia bombed strongholds of the Shiite rebels for the second day Friday, seeking to knock out their air defenses before a possible ground invasion.

The Houthi rebels control Yemen's capital and several provinces.

Al-Jubeir said the mission was clear: support Yemen's legitimate government, protect civilians and prevent militants armed with heavy weapons, ballistic missiles and air power from "controlling, dominating and damaging Yemen and its people."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-28

Too cool. Obama is negotiating with Iran while he helps bomb the Iranian supported Houthis.

The Saudis consider the Houthis proxies for the Shiite government of Iran and fear another Shiite-dominated state in the region.

Isn't he also assisting ISIS and Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula with these attacks on the group they want to destroy in Yemen?

• Like 2

Wow...where are all the liberals now.....were doing what they want the Saudi peace masters have praised the US. tbanks for that Barry will be so happy!!maybe Hill will hug him a bit harder.

Too cool. Obama is negotiating with Iran while he helps bomb the Iranian supported Houthis.

The Saudis consider the Houthis proxies for the Shiite government of Iran and fear another Shiite-dominated state in the region.

Not so happy Obama is negotiating with Iran though! What's really interesting is that the Iranians haven't walked away from the table. Maybe that is coming!

Who really gives a toss what the Saudis think, someone should tell them how the cow eats the cabbage.

The Houthis were there for years long before The Siite gov't of Iran ever came to power.

Heck the Brits realised this 50 years ago.

Yemen is unravelling quickly. Obama made his usual empty platitudes regarding supporting Saudi security, whilst a. Sunni Shia religious war breaks out. All this against the backdrop of Obama and Kerry desperate to sign any old deal with Iran despite the absolute horror shown by Israel, France and Saudi Arabia.

http://app.debka.com/p/article/24494/Iranian-general-in-Sanaa-to-organize-Yemen-rebel-counter-offensive-for-Saudi-led-attacks

• Like 2

In essence all that has happened here is that the U.S have thrown the Saudis a bone in the hope they don't notice the abject capitulation to Iran on the question of their nuclear weapons program. It should be remembered that Iran has meddled and destabilized the entire region as best it can, had the U.S take a zero tolerance approach to Iranian expansion then no military intervention in Yemen would have been necessary in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you not a member of the group on TV that calls for US/NATO withdrawal from M.E. balance of power politics and military interventions. I assume this also means no support for proxy wars.

o contraire my friend, you should give a a big toss what he Saudis are thinking, remember that people who

toppled the tower on 9/11? those were Saudis, if the Saudi want, the can buy ready made nuclear

devises ready made from the Pakistanis stock pile,

Simply put, the Iranian have no business in Yemen , just because a bunch of Hutties Shia are

loaning to talk control in this country, and who else coming to aid? of course the ever sneaky

scheming backstabbers Iranians and with tones of their own agenda to stick their dirty foot

in the door,

Go on Obama, go to bed cozy cozy with the Persians, and mind your back side while you're a sleep,

if history hasn't taught you anything by new, I guess you'll never learn....

by new, I guess you wil neve learn....

• Like 1

In essence all that has happened here is that the U.S have thrown the Saudis a bone in the hope they don't notice the abject capitulation to Iran on the question of their nuclear weapons program. It should be remembered that Iran has meddled and destabilized the entire region as best it can, had the U.S take a zero tolerance approach to Iranian expansion then no military intervention in Yemen would have been necessary in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you not a member of the group on TV that calls for US/NATO withdrawal from M.E. balance of power politics and military interventions. I assume this also means no support for proxy wars.

I'm not against intervention per se, but only against any intervention which favors religious fanatics over secular albeit repressive regimes. The biggest concern is religious fanatics with nuclear weapons, which may even come about if the Pakistani regime implodes. Hence I was against the removal of Gadaffi and Mubarak, but would favour blowing the Iranian nuclear sites to kingdom come as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Oh dear Dan tell us again who has meddled in the entire region ?

Have a read of the following and get the real story of Iran and see just who is the meddler from as far back as 1940.

http://www.us-uk-interventions.org/Iran.html

Intervention and Exploitation: US and UK Government International Actions Since 1945

History is great, informative, and particularly enjoyable while relaxing in an armchair. While it is also instructive, the issue above is very now! There are underlying issues as you suggest, and academically they are relevant, but what is meaningful today is how those issues are being abused, leveraged, and thwarted.

Obama is utterly turning the world on its head. The above self-congratulatory Diplomatic Statement was likely agreed to, with the US wanting to be seen as forceful, and SA wanting to be seen as having the US behind the sunni drive. It served both equally, but achieves nothing. It is fodder. The Saudis are not pleased with any of this inexorable march of shia hegemony. No sunni nation, including nuclear Pakistan, is pleased. Israel is not pleased. Various European governments are not pleased. If as much damaging information that slips out daily regarding the US capitulation to Iran also took place during Yalta, Paris Accords, or any other conference, they would have collapsed. That so much diplomatic duplicity and leakage is taking place now suggests not only a problem with a Manchurian negotiating partner/leader (the US), but that the capitulation is likely far worse than can actually be released en total to the public.

When so much negative leakage takes place regarding such talks there is likely considerable fracturing within.

We have no need to wait for the future to arrive to have history inform us how markedly the US meddled in this region and caused considerable war and loss. All we have to do is open our eyes today, look at the nonstop reports of US policy and their results and ask ourselves "Is it really possible anyone could be so stupid as to lose every single policy initiative, every single time, in every single place?" Of course not, even imbeciles would get "it" right sometimes; but the Obama administration does not. At what point does the incredulity turn to indictment?

If anyone can explain how Obama's actions will lessen the likelihood of war- mid to high intensity conflict- I would love to read it! The next development we will see will be "peaceful" demonstrations in other GCC countries by shia minority. If I were Iran, I would foster this now; akin to a dog raising hackles- it makes it look bigger than it really is and increases its stature.

Iran is being made out to be the great boggy man which reminds of not that long ago when similar things happened to Iraq and Libya where the leaders had to be taken out and the countries liberated. There are those who are lapping it up, as they believed back then.

What we are seeing today could reasonably be said to be a follow on from there.

Yet Iran is one of the few Arab countries where Sunni and Shia live in relative harmony, yes I know the domination. We saw this when Saddam was sicked on to Iran on the premise that it would split along Sunni Shia lines, but this didn't happen and both sects stuck with their country and in spite of all the backing Saddam was given, including the fabled WMD's which he used on Iran, he was eventually sent packing.

Iran has every right, given what has gone before, not to trust, in particular the US but also its allies and the nuke thing is only an excuse for if Iran had really wanted nukes there are countries who would be ready and willing to sell them some.

Iran has come in now to help fight the IS (radicals) for they don't want them in their country and better to clean them out before they get there. This has given the US a problem for they now don't seem to know who they are siding with, but I suppose it doesn't matted to the arms manufacturers for as long as there is war they will profit.

All this begs the question, if Iran goes who is next, could it be no coincidence that the Saudi's are the worlds biggest buyers of war weapons ?

Obama made a commitment to try and bring the debacle of ME wars to a close. He has stayed pretty steady on that course. The Arabs will have to do some of the heavy lifting themselves.

Of course, those who don't like it are welcome to ask their home countries to step up and get involved in the fray.

....or they can complain about the US doing something or not doing something or doing it wrong, etc., etc., etc..

Have a read of the following and get the real story of Iran and see just who is the meddler from as far back as 1940.

http://www.us-uk-interventions.org/Iran.htmlIntervention and Exploitation: US and UK Government International Actions Since 1945

History is great, informative, and particularly enjoyable while relaxing in an armchair. While it is also instructive, the issue above is very now! There are underlying issues as you suggest, and academically they are relevant, but what is meaningful today is how those issues are being abused, leveraged, and thwarted.

Obama is utterly turning the world on its head. The above self-congratulatory Diplomatic Statement was likely agreed to, with the US wanting to be seen as forceful, and SA wanting to be seen as having the US behind the sunni drive. It served both equally, but achieves nothing. It is fodder. The Saudis are not pleased with any of this inexorable march of shia hegemony. No sunni nation, including nuclear Pakistan, is pleased. Israel is not pleased. Various European governments are not pleased. If as much damaging information that slips out daily regarding the US capitulation to Iran also took place during Yalta, Paris Accords, or any other conference, they would have collapsed. That so much diplomatic duplicity and leakage is taking place now suggests not only a problem with a Manchurian negotiating partner/leader (the US), but that the capitulation is likely far worse than can actually be released en total to the public.

When so much negative leakage takes place regarding such talks there is likely considerable fracturing within.

We have no need to wait for the future to arrive to have history inform us how markedly the US meddled in this region and caused considerable war and loss. All we have to do is open our eyes today, look at the nonstop reports of US policy and their results and ask ourselves "Is it really possible anyone could be so stupid as to lose every single policy initiative, every single time, in every single place?" Of course not, even imbeciles would get "it" right sometimes; but the Obama administration does not. At what point does the incredulity turn to indictment?

If anyone can explain how Obama's actions will lessen the likelihood of war- mid to high intensity conflict- I would love to read it! The next development we will see will be "peaceful" demonstrations in other GCC countries by shia minority. If I were Iran, I would foster this now; akin to a dog raising hackles- it makes it look bigger than it really is and increases its stature.

Iran is being made out to be the great boggy man which reminds of not that long ago when similar things happened to Iraq and Libya where the leaders had to be taken out and the countries liberated. There are those who are lapping it up, as they believed back then.

Yet Iran is one of the few Arab countries where Sunni and Shia live in relative harmony, yes I know the domination. We saw this when Saddam was sicked on to Iran on the premise that it would split along Sunni Shia lines, but this didn't happen and both sects stuck with their country and in spite of all the backing Saddam was given, including the fabled WMD's which he used on Iran, he was eventually sent packing.

Iran has every right, given what has gone before, not to trust, in particular the US but also its allies and the nuke thing is only an excuse for if Iran had really wanted nukes there are countries who would be ready and willing to sell them some.

Iran has come in now to help fight the IS (radicals) for they don't want them in their country and better to clean them out before they get there. This has given the US a problem for they now don't seem to know who they are siding with, but I suppose it doesn't matted to the arms manufacturers for as long as there is war they will profit.

All this begs the question, if Iran goes who is next, could it be no coincidence that the Saudi's are the worlds biggest buyers of war weapons ?

Just a observation. Iran is not an Arab country. Personally, I advise buying military suppliers stock. It appears we are supplying both sides and needing to replace what is captured by opposing sides. Great investment opportunity....never mind the dead who percentage wise come from the lower economic classes....cannon fodder, I think we said in an earlier age. Oh, and do please give more credit to the English and French when dealing with ME history. The Americans are relative new comers.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 3

Obama made a commitment to try and bring the debacle of ME wars to a close. He has stayed pretty steady on that course. The Arabs will have to do some of the heavy lifting themselves.

Of course, those who don't like it are welcome to ask their home countries to step up and get involved in the fray.

....or they can complain about the US doing something or not doing something or doing it wrong, etc., etc., etc..

IMHO, the post WW II days are long gone. Japan, Germany and the rest of the world has progressed. Time to end any remnant of American testosterone poisoning for the benefit of all. If Europe wishes to take a stand with troops and finances concerning an asserting of Russia to take sovereign territory, if the Southeast Asian countries wish to take a stand with troops and finances concerning China's unilateral claim to 80-90% of the South China Sea, if the ME countries wish to take a stand with troops and finances against extremists, then, yes, as an American, I would favor us acting as a partner in support. No, we are not to be largely responsible for carrying a troop or financial demand on our resources. The world has indeed changed. I also believe that the U.S. supporting some 900 military installations worldwide is also excessive. "Hosting" beneficiaries may resist. I do not agree with the traditional American withdrawal into isolationism but I also call for a balance recognizing a current reality.

http://www.us-uk-interventions.org/Iran.html

Intervention and Exploitation: US and UK Government International Actions Since 1945

Iran is not an Arab country. Iran is Persian and it is a significant, marvelous historical nation with a rich history of contributing to humanity, even in spite of later islamic conquest. I would be cautious of how one measures "relative harmony." There are numerous examples in the region of shia and sunni living in "relative harmony" until something changed the equation, and then families, tribes, and whole peoples where slaughtered by their harmonious neighbors.

Iran is being made out to be the bogeyman both because it is true, and it is timely for others with regard to their own agendas and needs. Take the US for example: "Which Path to Persia" has effectively become the US policy and is intimately related to the debacle in Syria, and the greater Iranian morass. But this example agenda meets in the real world with an ascendent Persian menace which is flexing proactively. In every act of Iran one can hear the subtle admonition "Remember Karbala!" There is nothing benign or simple statecraft regarding Iran's provocations, and reflexes. http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/papers/2009/6/iran-strategy/06_iran_strategy.pdf

Iran may be working the nuclear angle with brilliant statecraft and marginal interest in obtaining the bomb, right now, but does so against the backdrop of its simultaneous expansionist provocations into the greater sunni world. Shia Iran is provoking the sunni in such a way that bomb or no bomb the clash of these sects is inevitable at the state level. Only some brilliant maneuvering and statecraft can back-peddle the chain of events that are marching toward war, and sadly there are only a few on the international level with such creds. The entire shia mindset is modeled on the Karbala in 680CE.

• Like 1

Pertenent to the topic is the article below that talks to the loss of Iraq to Iranian regional power play.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/02/19/irans-shiite-militias-are-running-amok-in-iraq/

Also Iranian boasts by military & religious leaders....

General Mohammad Bagherzadeh said: "Our borders are no longer at Shalamcheh, Koshk or the city of Mehran. They now extend from Yemen to the Mediterranean.”

"The al-Houthis victory in Yemen was not a simple or an ordinary and a transient one, but it is a historical victory for the Islamic Republic of Iran that has decided to relieve the oppressed in the Islamic world by using the Islamic model."

http://www.ncr-iran.org/en/news/terrorism-fundamentalism/17873-iranian-border-extends-from-yemen-to-mediterranean-regime-general-boasts

Well they have been issuing warnings all week....

(Reuters) - Unknown gunmen shot and injured two policemen in a patrol car in Saudi Arabia's capital Riyadh late on Sunday, the state-owned Saudi Press Agency quoted a police spokesman as saying on Monday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/03/30/uk-saudi-security-idUKKBN0MQ0FB20150330?rpc=401

• Like 1

By supporting Saudi (who, it was rightfully mentioned earlier here, "gave" us the 9/11 terrorists) in the attacks in Yemen, the US clearly made a stance in supporting Al-Qaida and ISIS too. And while militias from Iran are fighting in Iraq against ISIS, the US would only support the Iraqi troops with the bombing of Tikrit if these militias would leave. This while their so-called friends (Saudi and Egypt) refuse to fight against ISIS. What hypocracy...

Anyway Americans are now openly supporting their main enemy of the last 10years, as well as the somewhat newer enemy that beheads westerners, commits suicide bombings in mosques, enslaves women and children, and brutally murders every non believer. All of this because the US lost face against a small nation during the Islamic Revolution 35 years ago. And when considering what the reason was for this revolution, it becomes even more disturbing. 35 Years ago the Iranian people finally had a change to get rid of the tyrant the Shah, who had become Irans' autocratic leader (who had as main task funneling the countries' oil money to the US) after the US toppled the democratically elected government, and very popular prime minister of Iran Mosaddegh. In 1951 Iran was the only democracy in the middle east, and the US killed it! Its time Americans begin to understand that they have the wrong friends. But to understand that, one has to be able to think beyond Fox news, or beyond the fear and lies indoctrinated by loony George W.

• Like 1