Sea Lice/Jellyfish Larvae

johnnynmonic

Have been to several beaches on the west coast of Phuket lately. Nai Yang, Laem Singh, Karon, Nai Harn - everywhere I go I get stung/bit by those invisible things. I'm used to getting hit by them now and then, but the last week or so there seems to be significantly more than usual. Pretty sure it's what Thais call "แตนทะเล". A seasonal bloom of the little guys maybe? Are there any beaches over here still free of these things? Is there anything you guys do to minimize or prevent their effect? My kids got full eruptions of bumps on their bodies, and the wife and I got it to a lesser degree. Thanks.

Its an all beaches all year round thing actually (admittedly some days worse than other but they're always there) and apart from staying out of the water there's nothing you can do..(unless you own some stinger suits), my little bloke(6yr) and myself don't get any bumps from them though.

Edited by beechbum

Could it be the very small (a few millimeters) almost transparent jellyfish? They cause a lot of itching that disappears after having been out of the water for 5 minutes or so. Person with good vision can see them with bare eyes.

I swim regularly at Patong beach-NOT the Southern end- and have had the same problem.On occasion I have been able to lift out of the water very small clear objects,circular or very near,in a string.Look like jellies but not sure.You can feel them in the water as they brush your hand.Don't know a solution but maybe cold tea?Good old cure for sunburn and itchies.

Has anyone here tried this Safe Sea lotion? Does it actually work, and is it available anywhere here?

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Sea-Anti-jellyfish-Protective-Lotion/dp/B00T3JAFWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427667930&sr=8-1&keywords=safe+sea

Don't know if it is exactly the same, but i have seen similar at one of the dive wholesalers. So check with a dive center, they may be able to help.
  • Like 1

Found a blue bottle at the norhtern end of karon late december 2014, pointed it out to the life guards from centara who both laughed, then took it into the jungle and buried it as best i could, my 6yr old was with me so great lesson for him.

• Like 1