Best Lead Singers, Members of a Band.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Farlowe - been with a few bands such as Thunder Birds & Atomic Rooster.

Along with Tom Jones and Scott Walker there are not too many others with voices to match but they are not band members so are excluded.

https://youtu.be/-CIqx9wIQQU

Scott Walker, now there was a great lead singer with the 'Walker Brothers', how did I miss him out????

On the downside, how can you talk of Tom Jones in the same breath as Scott Walker?

Yes Tom Jones had a powerful voice, if not easy on the ear, but he had no originality, another thing, he

was a carbon copy of P.J. Proby, without having PJs great voice.

If PJ had not ripped his pants on stage and had Tom Jones management, I doubt Tom Jones would

have lasted.

Chris Farlowe, very good, I can't understand why he was a one hit wonder, he was, wasn't he?

I only remember him singing one song, 'Out of Time', that was brilliant.

Along with Tom Jones and Scott Walker there are not too many others with voices to match but they are not band members so are excluded.

Scott Walker, now there was a great lead singer with the 'Walker Brothers', how did I miss him out????

On the downside, how can you talk of Tom Jones in the same breath as Scott Walker?

Yes Tom Jones had a powerful voice, if not easy on the ear, but he had no originality, another thing, he

If PJ had not ripped his pants on stage and had Tom Jones management, I doubt Tom Jones would

have lasted.

Chris Farlowe, very good, I can't understand why he was a one hit wonder, he was, wasn't he?

possum1931, ok read your comment, no worries.

Anyway even I who isnt a fan of this type of music can appreciate, the voice, the arrangement and guitar playing, wonderful stuff.

rgs, i'm not so sure possum failed Rock 101 regarding Keith Relf, after all to play possum means to feign ignorance!..

Here's another fine voice from the north-east. Must be that cold wind that blows in from the North Sea

bannork, Skegness, its bracing. LOL

What he lacked in the voice and guitar playing department he more than made up for with his honesty and enthusiasm,

A man of the people for the people, never saw this guy give a bad concert or short change the crowd.

Check out the interation with the audience, when was the last time you ever witnessed anything like it.

Rory, the best.

rgs, i'm not so sure possum failed Rock 101 regarding Keith Relf, after all to play possum means to feign ignorance!..

Here's another fine voice from the north-east. Must be that cold wind that blows in from the North Sea

Yes, Eric Burdon had an original singing style. My favourite Animals song was 'We Gotta Get out of This Place'. Being an ex professional Bass player myself, I loved the Bass on this record.

I like little Stevie from the Easybeats, always like to dance while singing

Another small man with an even bigger voice, Steve Marriot, Small Faces

Sorry mate, Steve Marriot had only an average voice IMO.

What he lacked in the voice and guitar playing department he more than made up for with his honesty and enthusiasm,

A man of the people for the people, never saw this guy give a bad concert or short change the crowd.

Check out the interation with the audience, when was the last time you ever witnessed anything like it.

Rory, the best.

There were a few frontmen in famous bands who lacked good vocal ability, but made up for it in personality.

One good example, Mick Jagger.

The Rolling Stones, good musicians, but for a five piece band, they was nobody good enough to take the lead vocals sometimes,

and there was very little, if any, vocal harmony. I was always amazed at that.

In my hey day back in Scotland, if a musician, with the exception of a drummer, wasn't good enough to do some lead vocals. he would

find it very hard to get a job with a band.

have lasted.

Most people do forget Scott Walker and his more recent ie: past twenty years is pretty way out ,almost semi operatic eg: his "Farmer in the city" track.

To me Tom Jones has done some pretty terrible stuff like "Deliah" and "whats up pussycat " (no reference to our Pussycat of course) but when he does blues/spirituals then he has to rank up with many of the better blues singers .

Chris Farlowe i think only had one big hit with "out of Time' and a lesser hit with "Paint it Black" but i have been listening to him since then when i can with "From Here to Mama Rosa " as one of my favorite albums . He is still performing regularly even since a bad car accident quite a few years ago. Check out you tube and his concert with Van the Man .

I will have to go and revisit PJ Proby - all i can remember of him now is the splitting his pants, he 's a Texan and " Hold me, Kiss me , Thrill me" which i think maybe somebody like Brook Benton or Mel Carter did back in the mid fifties.

have lasted.

Also Long John Baldry should be on the list somewhere.

https://youtu.be/yKTo4OftzbE

Edited by xen

Very few could write lyrics like Jim.-' Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection

Send my credentials to the House of Detention',

A few bum notes along the way but an utterly unique band.

Yes they were, the west coast bands were all Excellent, there was also Buffalo Springfield, the Association, the Eagles etc.

Rory, the best.

imo he was unrivaled rgs. I think he was the most genuinely loved of any rocker .As the 70s moved on his fan base was increasingly single blokes in denim, ie fights could break out at any minute- but they rarely did. That clip of yours above- plenty of famous bands would be having kittens in that scenario- but Rory just played on to the audience, they loved him.

In the troubles in Belfast in the early 70s he was one of the few performers there,He was born a Catholic but the Protestants loved him as one of their own, no need for make-up, stage effects.

But I have to disagree with you regarding his guitar playing- as someone who's tried to play some of his licks I realize how good he was-

love his blues playing here-

2 immortals:

Yes Creedence Clearwater, another great American band. Just like their solo artists, the American bands were

the best. Taking everything into consideration, even the Beatles don't come close.

Come to think of it, unless I've missed something, John Lennon and Mick Jagger haven't been mentioned here.

IMO, John Lennon had an average voice as had Paul McCartney. Mick Jagger was more of a showman.

There you go - a bit of Simple Minds.

https://youtu.be/b7XZPhgmTaw

And if the guy who put the huge photo on downgrade it. You are feffing up my laptop. And i would presume others. I cannot like anyone any more.

Sorry Patsycat, I just could not make out a melody to this at all, I thought they sounded

a bit like the Rolling Stones.

2 immortals:

Yes Creedence Clearwater, another great American band. Just like their solo artists, the American bands were

the best. Taking everything into consideration, even the Beatles don't come close.

Come to think of it, unless I've missed something, John Lennon and Mick Jagger haven't been mentioned here.

IMO, John Lennon had an average voice as had Paul McCartney. Mick Jagger was more of a showman.

I think you have missed rather a lot. The English invasion of the USA by The Beatles in 1963 was a turning point.

Countless American musicians were inspired to form electric bands following their tour and the consequent landings and successful conquests by the Rolling Stones, The Who, Manfred Mann,The Troggs, etc.

Comparisons of bands is pointless, Creedence were great at what they did, but in terms of variety and creativity The Beatles did far more. It's like comparing somtam and tom yam kung, both are wonderful in their own way but incomparable.

If we stick strictly to the theme of this thread- the best lead singer- in rock I would suggest Paul Rodgers and Eric Burden are the tops but in country and folk ( not lead singers) Fred Neil and Gene Clark are unbeatable.

It's only rock n roll but i like it...

But then one of the best bands for vocals was a mixture of US and British singers ( though admittedly the ratio was 2 (or3) to 1) !

Edited by bannork