The American Legion Forming in Ubon and for surrounding areas/provinces

retiredaamt

post-66997-0-61905100-1433899777_thumb.j

Update

The formation drive to form the post has been successfully completed.

The application for the the temporary charter has been sent to the Department of France with 20 charter members applications attached.

See this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/812718-the-american-legion-forming-in-ubon-and-for-surrounding-areasprovinces/page-3?p=9438252#entry9438252

Eligibility Information If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving -- you are eligible for membership in The American Legion! *August 2, 1990 to today (Operation Desert Shield/Storm) December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990 (Operation Just Cause - Panama) August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon/Grenada) February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam) June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955 (Korea) December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (World War II) April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 (World War I)
*Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.

*U.S. Merchant Marine eligible only from December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (WWII).

MEETINGS

Our post meets every 2nd Monday of the month at 10:00 am at the Choikee Restaurant.

post-66997-0-69976600-1438647101_thumb.j

307-315 Khuanthani Rd.

307-315 ถนนเขี่อนรานี ต.ในเมือง อ.เมือง จ.อุบลราชธานี

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zcQgQbVX8yf0.kozbNyZx1cEI&usp=sharing_eid

If you know someone eligible, bring them along.

Larry Edmonds

Commander, Am. Legion Thailand Post, TH01.

VFW Life Member

American Embassy Warden Vol.

Edit: Topic updated by a charter member at the request.of the commander of Thailand Post TH01

Edited by ubonjoe
New meeting location

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to be a part of China Post One or a direct post of the Legion proper?

I live far away from Ubon so just interested in the details. I have been a member of CP One for years.

This will be a direct post of our own. We will be assign to the Department of the Philippines. Hopefully, if there are enough posts formed in Thailand we may possibly apply for a Southeast Asia, SEA, department. The Veterans of Foreign Wars has 6 post in Thailand and one in Cambodia and operate under District 5 of the Department of Pacific Areas in the Philippines. This is a new venture for the veterans in Thailand and one that I and others feel is needed here. If you have questions please feel free to PM me and I will give you more detailed contact information. Thank you for your interest.

was planing on comeing this morning but some thing came up and couldn't show up

any chance of another sign up,i'm in mukdahan

There's always a chance to sign up. Our next meeting in on the 11th of May at 10:00 am at the Lai Thong Hotel at 50 Pichitrangsan Rd., Ubon Thailand, 34000. Or you may contact me at [email protected]. The first letter is a lower case L.

I am a retired Navy Vet with my military ID in hand. Copy of my DD214 is in the states. I 'may' be interested in joining but won't be moving up to the Sisaket area until next summer.

You can join the American Legion at any time. There may be some difficulty with the online application as it does not have the ability for a foreign address. I and another expat are emailing National HQ to get a good determination on this. Alternative would be to use a State side address and have someone there email your membership card and DD214. Our next meeting is Monday May 11 at the Lai Thong Hotel in Ubon. You can contact me at [email protected]. First letter is a lower case L. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Larry Edmonds

VFW Life Member

U.S. Embassy BKK Warden Vol.

Probably a silly question but what distinguishes the American Legion from the VFW? I'm eligible for both.

My opinion, just the name. They both do the same thing, aid and assist military veterans and their families. Their rules, rituals and ceremonies are different but the same end is accomplished. Where do you live. If in the Ubon and surrounding areas/provinces, Come to our meetings, right now the second Monday of each month. Next is the 11th of May, as stated above. This organization is new to Thailand and will be the first post in Thailand and SEA. We need all the help we can get to make it work. Join in. I can be contacted at [email protected]. The first letter is a lower case L.

Probably a silly question but what distinguishes the American Legion from the VFW? I'm eligible for both.

Actually there is a big difference in the eligibility requirements. For the American Legion you only have to have served "honorably" during specific "war" time frames but you might never have served overseas in any "conflict" area. But for the VFW, you must have served overseas during specific "war" times.

Edited by Ken

Actually there is a big difference in the eligibility requirements. For the American Legion you only have to have served "honorably" during specific "war" time frames but you might never have served overseas in any "conflict" area. But for the VFW, you must have served overseas during specific "war" times.

Hi Ken, believe I remember your name per the VFW. Yes, I have two ribbons/medals that qualify me for the VFW. After I posted my first post, that occurred to me that it may be an eligibility difference.

@retiredaamt - I'm in Chiang Mai so bit of a trip for me.

Ken, Tywais, You are right. I was being a little sarcastic in my reply. I tried earlier to organize a VFW post here in Ubon. We met for about 7 months and the membership never increased above 12 or so people because of the requirement of the VFW to become a member. The major problem with starting a post through the VFW is that you have to have 35 people and 25 of those must be new members to the VFW to even apply for a charter. Thats difficult to do here in Ubon. I have been in contact with the Department of the Philippines about start an American Legion post here. They are interested and only require 15 active American Legion members wanting a new post to apply for a Temporary Charter. That number is more manageable and attainable.. I hope to have that number by our next organizing meeting You don't have to live here to be a member of the post. Once we get our post number, anyone can transfer their membership to this post. I hope this clears up a lot of thing. If not contact me.

Has anyone responded from department yet?

I received a reply from the Department of France Commander James Settle last night. We come under the Dept. of France because Southeast Asia and China, China Post #1, fall under their jurisdiction. He states that once we get a minimum of 15 new people, that wants join the American Legion, that wants to help support a new post here, to contact them and they will send the appropriate documents to send to them in order to get a temporary charter. He states that to get a new post started it must be with new personnel. Current members of the American Legion can not be charter members but can transfer their membership once the post has been issued a temporary charter with a post number. He also stated that this may take some time. Once they receive the application and approve the new post, the application must go to National Headquarter, in Indianapolis, IN., for their approval. The committee that approves application for charters meets once a quarter. So June would be the earliest. With the work involved, I believe September/December would be our best shots.

So, with the above said, I/we need a minimum of 15 new American Legion members. I will have to work on the logistics of collecting the dues and send the applications for membership and the application for temporary charter. I will post again as soon as I get it all worked out.

VFW

If I remember correctly....serving in Korea (even after cease fire) qualifies one for VFW membership. Need some kind of orders. Team Spirit exercise...or similar.

correct me if this is wrong. (As Korean war never officially ended)

VFW

If I remember correctly....serving in Korea (even after cease fire) qualifies one for VFW membership. Need some kind of orders. Team Spirit exercise...or similar.

correct me if this is wrong. (As Korean war never officially ended)

I believe you are correct as far as VFW, however this is the American Legion, which has some slightly different eligibility requirements which are more open vs VFW.

*August 2, 1990 to today (Operation Desert Shield/Storm)

December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990 (Operation Just Cause - Panama)

August 24, 1982 to July 31, 1984 (Lebanon/Grenada)

February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam)

June 25, 1950 to January 31, 1955 (Korea)

December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (World War II)

April 6, 1917 to November 11, 1918 (World War I)

*Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.

*U.S. Merchant Marine eligible only from December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (WWII).

The first meeting will be 11 May, at the Lai Thong Hotel, 50 Pichitrangsan Rd, Ubon Thailand. GPS 15*14'00.66"N x 104*52'05.14"E. The meeting will start at 10:00 am - 12:00 pm in the meeting room just beyond the hotel check-in desk. If you know any fellow vets, please bring them along.

This if from our site https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398039300464248/ which is open at present. You may attend even without a DD214 at present as the post is not yet established and chartered..

We are close to getting things finalized to notify Department that we have enough members or apply for a temporary charter. Those that responded with a yes, if you haven't done so, please PM me your name and address. We need this information to put on the application. Can not send it without it. We would like to have everything finalized by the next meeting which is Monday, May 11 at 10:00 am at the Lai Thong Hotel in Ubon. Bring yourself and an eligible friend/s to the meeting. If there is enough at the meeting, we hope to elect officers and vote on a few matters of the post. This may get removed but here is my email address, [email protected] .

whistling.gif I definitely qualify.

U.S Army RVN 1966 to 1971

I am here in Bangkok, as a retiree.

Long ago my DD214 went away somewhere in my journey around the world in the last

40 year or so.

I don't have a U.S. address though.

Maybe I could get a copy of my DD214 mailed to my Thai address?

Long ago my DD214 went away somewhere in my journey around the world in the last

40 year or so.

You may request a copy of your DD 214 from the army records and have them sent to your Thailand address. I have attached a copy of the SF-180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. Fill it out and send it to the address shown in the instructions that pertain to you. We will need your full name, local address, a copy of your 214, when available. We would also like to have your email address and phone number if you don't mind. You can either PM that information here or email me at [email protected]. Thank you for your interest and we hope to hear from you soon.

Edited by retiredaamt

Hi Mr. Edmonds. I to am a embassy warden. In fact the original embassy warden. I am also a life member of VFW in Pattaya. Qualified due to my service with Marine Recon in Vietnam and also my Bronze Star/With V and purple heart. Years back I tried to start a branch of the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) here in Thailand, so can definitely appreciate all the work you have to go through. We couldn't jump through enough hoops for the MOPH to be able to start a branch here, so it fell through. sad.png You can add me to your list even though I will never make it up there for a meeting as I'm now bed ridden and flat on my a** in Pattaya. I will send you an email with my particulars. Best of luck and hang in there.

Hi Mr. Edmonds. I to am a embassy warden. In fact the original embassy warden. I am also a life member of VFW in Pattaya. Qualified due to my service with Marine Recon in Vietnam and also my Bronze Star/With V and purple heart. Years back I tried to start a branch of the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) here in Thailand, so can definitely appreciate all the work you have to go through. We couldn't jump through enough hoops for the MOPH to be able to start a branch here, so it fell through. sad.png You can add me to your list even though I will never make it up there for a meeting as I'm now bed ridden and flat on my a** in Pattaya. I will send you an email with my particulars. Best of luck and hang in there.

Jeepholt,

Thank you for your reply. We can use all the members we can get. I am sorry to hear about your medical condition. I am certain if you need anything the Pattaya VFW post will assist you. Yes there is a lot of work trying to jump through the hoops that the VFW and the American Legion require to open a post. Hopefully, there aren't too many more hoops. I will be looking forward to your email and if there is anything I can help you with, let me know. We will be happy to have you as a post member.

40 year or so.

You may request a copy of your DD 214 from the army records and have them sent to your Thailand address. I have attached a copy of the SF-180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. Fill it out and send it to the address shown in the instructions that pertain to you. We will need your full name, local address, a copy of your 214, when available. We would also like to have your email address and phone number if you don't mind. You can either PM that information here or email me at [email protected]. Thank you for your interest and we hope to hear from you soon.

SF-180 Request for 214 & other Records (f) (2014_06_07 01_28_04 UTC).pdf

Edited by retiredaamt