Domestic Consumer Unit-Safe T Cut suitable?

petermik

Gents I will be needing a consumer unit/distribution board shortly for my house build and electrical knowledge is not my strong point,my main concern is what damage can be done regarding power outages, I,ve seen a Safe T Cut unit on sale with RCBO built in-is this going to provide me with the protection I might need or should I be looking at something different?

Thanks for any helpfull suggestions thumbsup.gif

The Safe-T-Cut RCBO will reduce the possibility of electric shock, but won't do anything against supply surges and transients.

There's a couple of threads running in the Electrics forum on just that subject.

Let's move this thread there to keep everything together.

I have lived here since 1969 and the only damage has been loss of several telephones many years ago due close lightning strikes. Others have had direct hits however so for them a protection system might be more of a priority.smile.png

Strongly advise you do buy RCBO type system to protect from life threatening electric contact. As for surge protectors (which you are likely asking about) not so sure they will be cost effective - but if you are someone who needs insurance for all things am sure it will provide some piece of mind and thus be cost effective for you. Normally power outages are short periods when switching is being done and it is a clean cut/return. But indeed there are a few strong storms each year that could result in surge from close lightning - but in my mind if it gets any closer than those that do no damage a surge protector is likely to be the least of my worries (there are some very close hits).

Ok now I understand a little more but which SafeTCut unit should I purchase for a 80sq.mtre 2 bed/2 bath single story house with 2 9,000 btu aicon units-approx 21 downlights two flourescents and 2 outdoor lights normal amount of light switches/power sockets and just one 3.5 kwh shower unit,one washing machine and a water pump? the safeTcut C06E-50A is what I,m looking to purchase is this sufficient or should I go to a 63amp one with say 8 or 10 fuses-the builders electrician will be installing of course (that may be fun or not) but I have to provide all materials-cabling/switches and sockets I,m fairly comfortable with but a consumer unit I need help.

Thank you

That unit is considered normal for 15(45) amp meter service so should be fine as that is what most people have for homes here. Yes you will need a main panel with breakers for various circuits also. You might find a main panel with a built in RCD that would better fit your needs. I have several such Clipsal units which are very compact and seem to work well and should be fine for your size of home.