Honda CBR250R Front Sprocket - 13 Tooth

WingNut

After unsuccessfully trying to find a 13 tooth front sprocket in Thailand to put on my CBR250R, I ordered one from the states on eBay. It was only $13 with free shipping within the states and I had a friend who was there at the time when I ordered it, so he brought it back for me. You could have it shipped directly to Thailand if you want though for about double that price.

The sprocket in the eBay listing said it was made by JT Sprocket, which I assumed was an overseas company.

I received the sprocket yesterday and what surprised me was to find out that it was actually made in Thailand in what looks like possibly a Japanese owned Thai factory.

What I'm thinking is perhaps a call to the factory in Thailand might reveal where these sprockets can be bought within Thailand if anyone is looking for one. And instead of having to order it from overseas at higher prices and with shipping costs.

I'm hoping to get it installed this week and looking forward to seeing if there is some good, much needed added torque to the bike from the sprocket change.

post-170983-14276136741488_thumb.jpgpost-170983-14276136847107_thumb.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone is wondering why I'm changing my front sprocket you can read this interesting thread that JimShortz pointed me towards about a month ago: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/5571-anyone-using-13t-front.html

It should answer any questions on the subject and benefits of dropping down from a 14 tooth front sprocket to a 13 tooth front sprocket.

Tyga sells them, although not that cheap and not 100% sure this one is from JT sprockets , which is btw one of the world largest sprocket manuafacturers.

attachicon.gifcbr 13t.JPG

I had a quick look at the Tyga site because I was curious what other kind of stuff they have. A very well organized site. But unfortunately I found they don't have much stuff for Honda bikes, at least for the 2 Honda bikes I have. For the CBR250R they have very little and for the CBR650F they have nothing. Prices were a bit high too as you already noted.

You can buy JT ( asahi) sprockets from Link Associates in Bkk.

http://linkassothai.com/contact.php

Thanks for the link. Cool site. The sexy girls is a nice touch.

I just put my new sprocket on a few minutes ago. I can feel a bit of improvement in torque at the low end, which is nice. For some reason though when I go from 1st to 2nd gear now it seems to pop into neutral by accident sometimes. Maybe I have to shift a bit harder now.

By the way, the chain needed a good tightening after changing the sprocket. It had a lot of extra slack. You would think going from a 14T to 13T sprocket wouldn't be a big deal, but you could notice right away how the chain was hanging low after changing the sprocket.

The chain is running around the sprocket at a more extreme angle so ensure that it is regularly oiled ( using a decent spray grease or Teflon spray)

Thanks. I've got some chain oil made by Sonax. Real thick and sticky and makes a royal mess. Haha. But the guy oiled well today at the shop after he put the new sprocket on. When I got back from the shop there was still oil dripping on the ground from the front sprocket area.

Been riding with the new sprocket for a few days now. I think I'm noticing about a 10-20% increase in acceleration in the low gears. Not bad. Any improvement on the bike is great considering how it seems a bit underpowered to begin with. Especially considering it was less than a 500 Baht equivalent cost modification.

If anyone is wondering why I'm changing my front sprocket you can read this interesting thread that JimShortz pointed me towards about a month ago: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/5571-anyone-using-13t-front.html

It should answer any questions on the subject and benefits of dropping down from a 14 tooth front sprocket to a 13 tooth front sprocket.

I may be reading the referenced article wrong,

but it seems to be indicating that changing 14 => 13T, front,

will increase low-end performance at the expense of top-end?smile.png

By the way, the chain needed a good tightening after changing the sprocket. It had a lot of extra slack. You would think going from a 14T to 13T sprocket wouldn't be a big deal, but you could notice right away how the chain was hanging low after changing the sprocket.

1 link is 5/8 inch length-wise on a 520, so equivalent to moving the chain adjuster half that much, 5/16"?

?

unsure.png

papa 75% sure.

Not sure about the CBR, but a lot of guys with CRF's (especially the larger ones) couldn't pull top gear until they put on a 13t

Yes, I think it will. But in over 3 years I only had the chance to get the bike up to top end 3-4 times on the highway. Now that I only ride this bike in the city it probably won't ever see top end again. So the low end torque is very welcome.

Yes, I think it will. But in over 3 years I only had the chance to get the bike up to top end 3-4 times on the highway. Now that I only ride this bike in the city it probably won't ever see top end again. So the low end torque is very welcome.

Wow, really! When I had mine .every trip was at 140!!!

I had mine at top speed a few times of 163. But that was a while ago. Just ride in the city now. I did hit around 140 yesterday on the Rama 9 flyover for a few moments, but did not try to hit top speed. So I'm not sure what it might be after the sprocket change.

1 link is 5/8 inch length-wise on a 520, so equivalent to moving the chain adjuster half that much, 5/16"?

?

unsure.png

papa 75% sure.

papa 100% wrong.

The 5 relates to width; 5/8"

Maybe[14mm] 528 chain is 28/40 inch/ link or 0.7"

so slack in removing one tooth from front sprocket would be equal to adjusting half that, 0.35" [14mm] on the bar?

90% sure.

whistling.gif

Thanks. Sounds good. Removing the slack though didn't seem the be a problem. I saw the mechanic turned the screw a few times and it tightened the chain enough. Probably still had more room to spare still and could have still tightened more if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I just sent that company an email. Perhaps mightn't get a reply. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that a stock Honda 13T also fits the CBR250. From something like a Honda AM125x, or something like that. It was never sold in Thailand, but I read that some dealers can source it for stock price (a few hundred baht) and others say that they cannot.

Anybody have more info on it?

Edited by DLang

A Honda T13 sprocket for 520 chain is difficult to source on Thailand?

Cannot believe.

I'd bet my local shop stocks it.

Let us know.

And do make sure it fits onto the bike, won't you.

I just sent that company an email. Perhaps mightn't get a reply. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that a stock Honda 13T also fits the CBR250. From something like a Honda AM125x, or something like that. It was never sold in Thailand, but I read that some dealers can source it for stock price (a few hundred baht) and others say that they cannot.

Anybody have more info on it?

Just order one on eBay. $20 including shipping.