Checklist of things to do before fiancee leaves Thailand for USA

Your assumptions about mild winters are not always true. I lived there for 35 years and have seen cold spells up to 2 weeks in the TEENS with a bitter east wind. Frozen pipes, icy roads and all of that. Mostly it just rains but you never know when it's going to change. When the weather is nice it is unbeatable. There are numerous Asian supermarkets with just about anything she'll want for the kitchen.

• Like 1

Wow..a lot of advice. Both pro and con.

Just to reiterate, my fiance is well educated and spent 18 months in New York City and a year in Australia, she also came to visit me last year in Portland, Oregon for a month. I don't think culture shock should be an issue, nor the mild weather as compared to NYC. She lives and work alone now at a university in Thailand and doesn't see her family often so the separation shouldn't be too hard. But of course, there is just no way to know until she gets here. Hell, if I could tell the future I'd be in the stock market.

This is the West Coast so there are a lot of Asians here, and a lot of Asian supermarkets. Finding Thai staples (like we did when she visited) is easy.

I'm not worried about any of the above issues. I've lived with American girls before and shit fell apart quickly. There's definitely a leap of faith involved, but we've been together for 3 years and we seem quite compatible. Again, who knows about 1, 3, 5 or 10 years from now. You can only make a decision with the information you have at that time. Only time will tell.

Regarding which Visa, the K-1 was the best choice. She could have come here on a her tourist visa and then we get married and try to change her status but everyone we spoke with said that is risky. In that she came in as a tourist knowing she would be staying. But it has only taken less than 4 months to get her K-1 approved. We submitted the initial application on Dec. 10, 2014 and her interview date is next week (April 8, 2015). But, as I said, she is in the middle of a university semester and can't come until she finishes finals and resigns her teaching post. I want her to be here before July 4th. There is no need to use a lawyer, it's easy to just follow the instructions and website like visajourney.com are a BIG help.

• Like 2

Bring with her all the records of the medical exams necessary to get her fiance visa, , after you are married and apply for a change of status ,she might be able to re-use then and not having to go through the whole process again thus saving a couple of hundred of dollars . I believe they are good for two years.

I actually have it on our list that she should bring her bank book or at least a copy so she can make WIRE transfers back to Thailand to dole out money to anyone in her family that may need it. We have a house over here to maintain.

I will also not have her take my name when we marry to make it easier for her to keep her passport and ID up-to-date at the closest embassy or consulate near her. Changing her name in the US will cause all kinds of issues when and if she needs to renew her Passport and/or ID.

And copies or originals of any important papers she has or may need in the US or when traveling back to Thailand. Otherwise, I'd put them in a safety deposit box in her bank in Thailand if she chooses to keep a bank account open.

I just mailed our I-129F in from Thailand to the Dallas office on 3/16/2015 and still no word they have received it and I included that form to be notified by email when they did receive it. I'm starting to prepare another package. So much fun!

The email will come. It takes a few weeks. If I remember in took about 2 months for the application to be accepted and forwarded to the US embassy in BKK. Then more docs to be filed with embassy- Packet 3, before the interview can be scheduled; and packet 4 to be taken to the interview. It's on the embassy website. One thing I wished I had done before I left Thailand was to have a pre-nup done there. Cheaper, including the translations and a Thai speaking lawyer for her. I'm told by friends it's legal in US, but I haven't checked that with my attorney here. Like I said I ran out of time and had to return.

I actually have it on our list that she should bring her bank book or at least a copy so she can make WIRE transfers back to Thailand to dole out money to anyone in her family that may need it. We have a house over here to maintain.

I will also not have her take my name when we marry to make it easier for her to keep her passport and ID up-to-date at the closest embassy or consulate near her. Changing her name in the US will cause all kinds of issues when and if she needs to renew her Passport and/or ID.

And copies or originals of any important papers she has or may need in the US or when traveling back to Thailand. Otherwise, I'd put them in a safety deposit box in her bank in Thailand if she chooses to keep a bank account open.

I just mailed our I-129F in from Thailand to the Dallas office on 3/16/2015 and still no word they have received it and I included that form to be notified by email when they did receive it. I'm starting to prepare another package. So much fun!

My wife came to the US via a fiance visa and we got married and had a change of status here, it was a relatively easy process ,

though be advised that there will be additional application fees for when you apply for a change of status and when you apply for her green card.

when she gets to the US get married as soon as possible, even if it is a civil wedding just to get the ball roiling for the change of status ,

make sure she brings to the US all the medical test documents required for the I-129 , she can re-use them for the change of status and not have to go through all the tests and cost

She can take you Name, not a problem , my wife did and it is not an issue, all she will need would is her marriage certificate with her when she travels to explain why her name is different in her green card and Thai passport

almost ten yeas later my wife is a US citizen, has a US passport with my name , when she travels she used the US passport to leave the US, but enters Thailand with her Thai passport and maiden name, still not a problem,

• Like 2

About her car... she bought it a couple of years on the 100,000 THB scheme (where the government gave her 100K towards the purchase.) But the stipulation is she can't sell it. Luckily, her sister will take over payments (but not give my fiancee any money for the equity she has the car (which pisses me off)). But at least she's able to get rid of the car.

We will live in Vancouver, WA. I was living in Portland, but decided to move across the river into Washington because NO STATE income tax! That's worth a lot of money every year. And, I'm just 4 miles from Oregon where there is no SALES tax! So when I make any serious purchases, I just head across the bridge where there are a lot of stores who cater to people like me coming across for the no sales tax. All these tax breaks add up to quite a few thousand dollars a year. Marijuana is legal in WA too and will be on July 1 of this year in Oregon. I just went to a hemp exhibit at the Portland Expo Center and the business is exploding.

She can't wait to leave the heat and come enjoy this beautiful cool weather. We are far north, but because of being on the Pacific, it stays mild, never gets bitterly cold. Last year, I was still wearing a sweater in early July. I don't miss the Thai heat and humidity for anything. It's the main reason I left LOS. I could not get used it. My apartment doesn't even have aircon because it's not needed for most of year. Good weather and tax breaks! There is a big Asian community here on the West coast too. I hope she makes a good set of friends.

The one thing that is really going to hurt is getting her health insurance. I have VA, but will have to find a plan for her. That is the big one thing I miss about Thailand. It makes me sick (pun intended) at what we pay for health care!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Some things already on her list:

1. Get any dental work done (e.g. cleaning, etc.) >>>>Forget dental in Thailand. My wife went to my dentist here and the whole team at the 6 dentist office had to have a look at the shoddy workmanship. Costs thousands to fix all but was worth it.

2. Buy extra Heartguard medicine for our dog. (It's about half the price in LOS than here).>>>>> If she sails through customs no problem but if checked its gone. If you have to watch these kind of costs then its best you are the one going to Thailand and not her coming here.

3. Close her cell phone plan.>>>> No need to to close her plan they are all pay as you go SIM cards. If she loves her # like my wife does then she can keep it alive very cheaply by having a friend take care. My wife has been here since 2009 and still keeps hers active.

4. Stop her insurance.

5=$++++. Have your wife make arrangements with a trusted friend to be her proxy in Thailand for bill paying IE. Student loan payments. phone # retention and various banking methods as required for sending money to family or to friend for bill payments etc.

P>S> We are in the other Vancouver where Government insurance is $130.50 for 2 and my company covers dental and prescriptions plus the Gov. Insurance. Check out some of the majors that are pushed through the Automobile clubs and Costco

No advice for Luke...., but a couple questions:

I would like to ask what made you decide on the fiance visa over the marriage K-3 visa. I had decided, after extensive reading, that the K-3 experience was easier to go through, all things considered, less time-consuming.

And, about insurance for your lady, won't she be automatically covered by the VA once you are married? That was what I had thought.

I am planning on going back to LOS to marry my lady there and apply for the marriage visa over there. Plan has been to retire from the world on a 20-acre piece of desert in SW Utah, living on my disability from the VA. But you make a couple points about WA/OR that give me pause to reconsider.

Also, I think your idea about not changing her last name is a good one. One less complication.

Best of luck

As someone else pointed out, in order to marry here in Thailand and apply at the Thai consulate, you must be able to document living here full time for at least 6 months. In addition, still having permanent domicile in the USA.

To the OP, good luck. Due to the fact that a lot of Thai ladies do have the huge culture shock, and so forth, you may hedge some of your bet by not having her completely sell every one of her possessions in Thailand.

The car to the sister is ok, if your fiance ever comes back, she doesn't have to buy a car again, she can take it back for free just as she gave it.

Also, plan on visits the first few years for her to still feel connected to her family and that she doesn't have to go on forever without seeing them. I've been thru this and my plan is spending time in each country each year. Not everyone can do this, but it helps transition.

Find sources for her to buy her food. Big key. If she cooks a lot for herself, find places to buy the Thai sauces and spices. They may be online in the USA but can come via UPS in a day or two.

Find sources for her to buy her food. Big key. If she cooks a lot for herself, find places to buy the Thai sauces and spices. They may be online in the USA but can come via UPS in a day or two. You gotta be kidding or live in some Appalachian mountain town if you think she would have to UPS Thai spices and sauces in . Washington as well a its neighbor to the north British Columbia has every kind of Asian store and product that can be thought of . Some areas you would actually feel like you might be back in Asian countries.In Vancouver BC they actually have Thai food stores and one of the National major chains has an exclusive Asian products store there almost on every corner.

Edited by poweratradio
  • Like 1

I would like to ask what made you decide on the fiance visa over the marriage K-3 visa. I had decided, after extensive reading, that the K-3 experience was easier to go through, all things considered, less time-consuming.

And, about insurance for your lady, won't she be automatically covered by the VA once you are married? That was what I had thought.

I am planning on going back to LOS to marry my lady there and apply for the marriage visa over there. Plan has been to retire from the world on a 20-acre piece of desert in SW Utah, living on my disability from the VA. But you make a couple points about WA/OR that give me pause to reconsider.

Also, I think your idea about not changing her last name is a good one. One less complication.

Best of luck

As someone else pointed out, in order to marry here in Thailand and apply at the Thai consulate, you must be able to document living here full time for at least 6 months. In addition, still having permanent domicile in the USA.

To the OP, good luck. Due to the fact that a lot of Thai ladies do have the huge culture shock, and so forth, you may hedge some of your bet by not having her completely sell every one of her possessions in Thailand.

The car to the sister is ok, if your fiance ever comes back, she doesn't have to buy a car again, she can take it back for free just as she gave it.

Also, plan on visits the first few years for her to still feel connected to her family and that she doesn't have to go on forever without seeing them. I've been thru this and my plan is spending time in each country each year. Not everyone can do this, but it helps transition.

Find sources for her to buy her food. Big key. If she cooks a lot for herself, find places to buy the Thai sauces and spices. They may be online in the USA but can come via UPS in a day or two.

Find sources for her to buy her food. Big key. If she cooks a lot for herself, find places to buy the Thai sauces and spices. They may be online in the USA but can come via UPS in a day or two. You gotta be kidding or live in some Appalachian mountain town if you think she would have to UPS Thai spices and sauces in . Washington as well a its neighbor to the north British Columbia has every kind of Asian store and product that can be thought of . Some areas you would actually feel like you might be back in Asian countries.In Vancouver BC they actually have Thai food stores and one of the National major chains has an exclusive Asian products store there almost on every corner.

I have to agree with this, we live in Florida and New York,

When my wife first came over she brought with her all short of Thai noodles and condiments, latter on we were laughing about it, Several Asian markets in Florida, and dozens in NY probably a larger variety of Thai food here than in Thailand

Dont know abut your corner of the world but I am sure it will not be a problem.

and if it is, hundreds of websites that will ship to you in days

• Like 1

About her car... she bought it a couple of years on the 100,000 THB scheme (where the government gave her 100K towards the purchase.) But the stipulation is she can't sell it. Luckily, her sister will take over payments (but not give my fiancee any money for the equity she has the car (which pisses me off)). But at least she's able to get rid of the car.

We will live in Vancouver, WA. I was living in Portland, but decided to move across the river into Washington because NO STATE income tax! That's worth a lot of money every year. And, I'm just 4 miles from Oregon where there is no SALES tax! So when I make any serious purchases, I just head across the bridge where there are a lot of stores who cater to people like me coming across for the no sales tax. All these tax breaks add up to quite a few thousand dollars a year. Marijuana is legal in WA too and will be on July 1 of this year in Oregon. I just went to a hemp exhibit at the Portland Expo Center and the business is exploding.

She can't wait to leave the heat and come enjoy this beautiful cool weather. We are far north, but because of being on the Pacific, it stays mild, never gets bitterly cold. Last year, I was still wearing a sweater in early July. I don't miss the Thai heat and humidity for anything. It's the main reason I left LOS. I could not get used it. My apartment doesn't even have aircon because it's not needed for most of year. Good weather and tax breaks! There is a big Asian community here on the West coast too. I hope she makes a good set of friends.

The one thing that is really going to hurt is getting her health insurance. I have VA, but will have to find a plan for her. That is the big one thing I miss about Thailand. It makes me sick (pun intended) at what we pay for health care!

Don't forget her bullet proof vest as this is America after all. You might get her hand gun train ASAP and get her licenced and buy her a personal protection weapon she can handle.

Gun homicide rate in Thailand is far higher. ..... Check your facts if you wish

to be humorous. Also driving is bit safer in America. cheesy.gif

Best of luck

Well excuse me sir, when I read the OP's post, it only said "Washington", and I gave some friendly advice in a generic fashion.

Sorry if I'm not an expert on every potential city in Washington state that the OP may live, and whether that particular place is well stocked with Asian markets carrying a good supply of Thai products. A person doesn't have to live in Appalachia to not have this kind of information. Maybe he lives in a small town and must drive 100 miles to a major city with a good market? Maybe he doesn't want to drive? So I gave advice of ordering online......tar and feather me why don't you?

In general, are there many good asian markets around the USA? Sure......but I travel a lot and have been in 100's of cities and towns that don't have one. Obviously if you are in Chicago, Seattle, Portland and any major city, then yes. I'll be sure to check with you before giving any general advice next time.

What about Obamacare???