Thailand's roads: Why are they so dangerous?

smurph

Just look how many ferangs who bleat here drive vehicles with tinted windows after Sunset and in poor visibility,just as thick as Thais aint they.!! The Wife insisted no doubt.cheesy.gif . Third World isn't a factor imo.

Where do you get this rubbish AOP? I see very few falang driving with tinted windscreens, side window yes. Because the majority of falangs come from countries that don't allow tinted windscreens and for good reason. I doubt very much if the few falangs that are silly enough to have tinted windscreens are responsible for the carnage on Thai roads.

I live in a little village about 45 kms west of Khon Kaen just off AH16. Travelling this road at night is a bloody nightmare. What with motorbikes with no taillights and headlights obscured by a basket full of stuff, sugar cane trucks, grossly overloaded and their loads leaning in precarious manners, and drivers in a super hurry going nowhere except to probably eventually meet their maker and supplier of lau kau. These motorbike drivers will pull out or change lanes without looking except for after the fact to see what missed them. Most don't wear helmets either..north American police enforcers would have a hayday here and not not be susceptible to being bribed off instead of issuing a ticket . Come on Thailand, wake up and see what the problem is.

this is NOT a description of the problem - it is an anecdotal description of some or other of the symptoms.

Road Safety, Rail Safety, Marine Safety, Health & Safety and now Air Safety. Quite simply, there is no culture of safety within Thailand. It only complies when dragged screaming and kicking into the civilised world. Money comes first, last and always. Even when it does comply, it's only the bare minimum. This is a country that has made (yes made not earned) billions of dollars in tourism yet will not invest a fraction of that with due care for those who visit.

I'd go one step further and include customer service in that.

• Like 1

Seems to Me that the Thai Bashers here may have been here some time,but their yearly mileage adds up to nothing. Ive averaged 35 K.P.A. for 25 years working here but dont claim Bragging Rights, or any desire to slag off Thais. In that time only one bump with Ferang Clown on a rented Super-bike,+ many night roamin Dogs and Windscreens Chips monthly , it feels like............ in reality 1 new screen a year. I love my driving here,warts n all.biggrin.png

Well something is killing off Thais in the thousands every year, what do you put it down to AOP, just bad luck?

Yes "something" - or rather a whole selection of things - but just to try and racially stereotype Thai drivers and these repeated accusations linked with anecdotal stories just shows how little grasp many people have on the issues surrounding road safety here.

it is a combination of factors that all contribute not just to the death rate, but various other ills resulting from RTCs.

How are Thais being "racially stereotyped"? Because falangs accuse them of being bad and inexperienced drivers who fail to obey road rules and have the second highest deaths by motor vehicle in the world? Sorry, but I call that just stating facts.

no it isn't, and I find it sad and disturbing that your perception of the situation is so limited.

anyone who purports to understand how an entire nation behaves and labels one kind of behaviour to all of that nation needs to take a seriously long look at the way they perceive things.

Edited by cumgranosalum

cumgramosalum

No, it isn't what, and what perception are you talking about? If you are going to differ in opinion at least clarify what you are talking about. I did make a mistake, apparently Thailand is now #6 in the world, but these facts speak for themselves.

"Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

These statistics were released at a press conference by Vice Interior Minister Silapachai Jarukasemratana yesterday.

He told the press that the key causes for the deaths were speeding, drunk driving or the failure to wear safety belts or crash helmets - all of which are offences under traffic laws."

These statistics were released by the Thai Interior Minister, so there's a good chance the figures are fudged.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

cumgramosalum

No, it isn't what, and what perception are you talking about? If you are going to differ in opinion at least clarify what you are talking about. I did make a mistake, apparently Thailand is now #6 in the world, but these facts speak for themselves.

"Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

These statistics were released at a press conference by Vice Interior Minister Silapachai Jarukasemratana yesterday.

He told the press that the key causes for the deaths were speeding, drunk driving or the failure to wear safety belts or crash helmets - all of which are offences under traffic laws."

These statistics were released by the Thai Interior Minister, so there's a good chance the figures are fudged.

"now #6 in the world, but these facts speak for themselves."

no they don't - you are being both naive and obtuse\

i would have thought that anyone looking at Thailand road safety of the past 10 yr=ears or so would realise the any government in that period has little or no grasp of even the basics of road safety.

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 1

I don't even know what point you're trying to make cumgramosalum
This isn't some dry academic conversation about RTA/RTC stats we're having here. We're in an internet forum for fark's sake - the digital equivalent of a few guys/gals sitting round the bar and chewing the fat about our experiences. Just because they're subjective doesn't make them any less valid.
It's self-evident to me (and many other farangs) that the driving in this country is diabolical.TV is used as an information resource by many people new to Thailand or who are considering making the move here, and if just one of them is given pause after reading this or similar threads and thinks, "hey, maybe I should take a bit of extra care out there", then good.
I will admit that there is a driving style that one can probably evolve after some time here (as Ace of Pop claims to have done) that minimises one's chance of an accident - I certainly don't pretend to have reached that level of motoring nirvana myself. If I ever get enough money to afford a driver, I will engage one of those even-tempered jai-yen, 50ish Thai dudes you see driving 1980 Toyota Crowns for hotels and the like. They seem to have the measure of things.
Nevertheless, I would contend you can still be in the wrong place at the wrong time whatever your skill set. One of the highest-risk scenarios to my mind being a slow truck ahead in the oncoming lane with a queue of chronically impatient, hot-headed bozos behind it waiting to overtake and perhaps just going for it anyway - devil take the consequences. Let's not even get into the maniac bus drivers who do the same thing with impunity because they know they're driving a 10-20 ton vehicle and will crush you if you get in their way. The locals love to go on about 'jai yen' yet that goes out the window once they're behind the wheel.
The near misses I referred to previously to run from the gamut of short-hop, relatively slow, around-town journeys where the risks include bumping a bike cutting in front of you, hitting a mentally-challenged young girl dashing in front of your car, running over the wino's foot as he stumbles down the middle of the road, avoiding the car pulling back into the stream of traffic without indicating or giving way, the list is endless and I've encountered all of the foregoing (as I'm sure many others have). Any one of those while probably minor in nature, opens you up to a potential world of hurt: claims, road-rage, BIB involvement etc. A farang friend of mine was doing 10kmh near his house and some kid ran into the side of his car (he believes 'accidentally on purpose'). An ugly scene ensued with claims of compensation etc. and it spooked him enough to go and fit a dashcam.
The more serious scenarios happen on the open road - trips of 100km or more at the national speed limit or above and they are often life-threatening.

most accidents occur within 15 km from home

cumgramosalum

i would have thought that anyone looking at Thailand road safety of the past 10 yr=ears or so would realise the any government in that period has little or no grasp of even the basics of road safety.

Sorry, but your responses make no sense and there's no point in giving you facts as you just choose to ignore them. What do they say on Mythbusters, "I reject your reality and substitute my own".

cumgramosalum

Sorry, but your responses make no sense and there's no point in giving you facts as you just choose to ignore them. What do they say on Mythbusters, "I reject your reality and substitute my own".

"Sorry, but your responses make no sense" - why don't I find this response surprising?

• Like 1

cumgramosalum

"Sorry, but your responses make no sense" - why don't I find this response surprising?

Because it's true.

Using the term 'third world country' is a pathetic excuse for negligence. As is stated above, Thailand has had many opportunities to improve and offers of help, and declined. It is the ignorance and insularity of the people, and that is down to a system that, again as mentioned, hides them from reality. We all accept when living in a foreign country ( I have lived and worked in over 20) that we accept their laws and customs. It does seem that we are the only ones that do this. We have every right to comment on matters of personal safety be they actual or potential. The one law that everyone is subject to, no matter where you live is the laws of physics and that seems to target a lot of Thais on the road.

The reality is youre in a country far less developed than your own, and to expect the same level of standards or anything even close is beyond naive if not ignorant. Complaining about everything simply feeds into your negative, close-minded perceptions about Thailand and its people. You claim to have worked in over 20 countries yet appear to lack basic empathy and common sense about the realities of your surroundings.

I for one find Thai drivers very patient if not accommodating toward other motorists. Sure there are aggressive Thai drivers who probably drive recklessly just like anywhere else, but for the sheer amount of scooters, motorcycles, cars and trucks the sharing roads that are often too narrow and not well maintained, it's quite amazing there arent even more traffic accidents that occur.

cumgramosalum

See post #101, somebody else who doesn't know what point you are trying to get across either. You won't accept any facts, forget views, views are just opinions, not facts, I think you have a hard job recognising the difference.

cumgramosalum

See post #101, somebody else who doesn't know what point you are trying to get across either. You won't accept any facts, forget views, views are just opinions, not facts, I think you have a hard job recognising the difference.

I never said you were alone...

Using the term 'third world country' is a pathetic excuse for negligence. As is stated above, Thailand has had many opportunities to improve and offers of help, and declined. It is the ignorance and insularity of the people, and that is down to a system that, again as mentioned, hides them from reality. We all accept when living in a foreign country ( I have lived and worked in over 20) that we accept their laws and customs. It does seem that we are the only ones that do this. We have every right to comment on matters of personal safety be they actual or potential. The one law that everyone is subject to, no matter where you live is the laws of physics and that seems to target a lot of Thais on the road.

I for one find Thai drivers very patient if not accommodating toward other motorists.

Total nonsense, "Thai drivers very patient" LOL

I for one find Thai drivers very patient if not accommodating toward other motorists.

That's why they make 4 or 5 right turn lanes instead of two, because they don't want to wait, and close off intersections so you can't go once you have a green light, or speed up when they see you want to change lanes to prevent you moving over. Very accomodating.

The reality is youre in a country far less developed than your own, and to expect the same level of standards or anything even close is beyond naive if not ignorant. Complaining about everything simply feeds into your negative, close-minded perceptions about Thailand and its people. You claim to have worked in over 20 countries yet appear to lack basic empathy and common sense about the realities of your surroundings.

I for one find Thai drivers very patient if not accommodating toward other motorists. Sure there are aggressive Thai drivers who probably drive recklessly just like anywhere else, but for the sheer amount of scooters, motorcycles, cars and trucks the sharing roads that are often too narrow and not well maintained, it's quite amazing there arent even more traffic accidents that occur.

Thailand is not a 3rd world country anymore and as it's joining ASEAN soon, needs to consider raising its game somewhat. Is China a developing country for example? I don't think you can say that anymore and within 10 years won't be able to say it of Thailand either. A country that is perfectly able to build high-quality road networks (as Thailand is) needs to impose the rule of law for their safe operation so that people and goods from across the wider region can navigate it safely.
It ain't rocket science - more stringent licencing requirements, punitive points-based system on licences, speed cameras, enforced drug/alcohol testing at the scene of any accident, unmarked camera-equipped police cars cruising the roadways, stiffer sentences for the most serious traffic offences. Just take a leaf out of the UK's playbook for starters. Even if this was rolled out to the inter-provincial road network initially, it would be a good first step. All of the above are easily within Thailand's gift to accomplish.
I used to think the UK had a heavy-handed approach to enforcing road safety (and I speak as someone who's flouted a fair few regs myself), but having been over here and seeing what happens in its absence, I'm all for it. If I ever go back to the UK it's good to know that some boy racer popping an E and getting into his souped up Fiesta now has to think twice about it (thanks to the new drugalysers currently being rolled out).
  • Like 1

Just look how many ferangs who bleat here drive vehicles with tinted windows after Sunset and in poor visibility,just as thick as Thais aint they.!! The Wife insisted no doubt.cheesy.gif . Third World isn't a factor imo.

Where do you get this rubbish AOP? I see very few falang driving with tinted windscreens, side window yes. Because the majority of falangs come from countries that don't allow tinted windscreens and for good reason. I doubt very much if the few falangs that are silly enough to have tinted windscreens are responsible for the carnage on Thai roads.

Rubbish. Well ,lets leave that to other old hand Posters here with Ferang Chums , and their mates first truck to evaluate that,The Second one they buy is generally a Car with 3M Clear or Hi Kool.Unless ones near Skint,there is no reason for Tint.

Thailand is not a 3rd world country anymore and as it's joining ASEAN soon, needs to consider raising its game somewhat. Is China a developing country for example? I don't think you can say that anymore and within 10 years won't be able to say it of Thailand either. A country that is perfectly able to build high-quality road networks (as Thailand is) needs to impose the rule of law for their safe operation so that people and goods from across the wider region can navigate it safely.
It ain't rocket science - more stringent licencing requirements, punitive points-based system on licences, speed cameras, enforced drug/alcohol testing at the scene of any accident, unmarked camera-equipped police cars cruising the roadways, stiffer sentences for the most serious traffic offences. Just take a leaf out of the UK's playbook for starters. Even if this was rolled out to the inter-provincial road network initially, it would be a good first step. All of the above are easily within Thailand's gift to accomplish.
I used to think the UK had a heavy-handed approach to enforcing road safety (and I speak as someone who's flouted a fair few regs myself), but having been over here and seeing what happens in its absence, I'm all for it. If I ever go back to the UK it's good to know that some boy racer popping an E and getting into his souped up Fiesta now has to think twice about it (thanks to the new drugalysers currently being rolled out).

Much of China's population is still poor by western standards despite govt spending on infrastructure, so in that respect, theyre a developing country.

As for Thailand, you seem to imply that it's not difficult to implement the laundry list of corrective measures that are so ineffectively enforced in your own country. Who do you think is going to pay for all these improvements in Thailand (extra personnel, training, equipment installation, increase judicial involvement, etc).

You and others on TV complaining about Thailand aren't really looking at the bigger picture but rather have a myopic pov reminiscent of the Tea Party.

Much of China's population is still poor by western standards despite govt spending on infrastructure, so in that respect, theyre a developing country.

As for Thailand, you seem to imply that it's not difficult to implement the laundry list of corrective measures that are so ineffectively enforced in your own country. Who do you think is going to pay for all these improvements in Thailand (extra personnel, training, equipment installation, increase judicial involvement, etc).

You and others on TV complaining about Thailand aren't really looking at the bigger picture but rather have a myopic pov reminiscent of the Tea Party.

Ineffectively enforced in the UK? You're dreaming aren't you, the UK police force is very efficient and has low levels of corruption (at least at the level of traffic officers). It's not even a requirement to have police involvement anymore (for managing speed at least), as automated extended speed cameras are being rolled out over large sections of the motorway network - see: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11375836/Stealth-speed-cameras-to-be-deployed-on-300-miles-of-motorway.html
Automated speed cameras soon become self-funding from the revenue they generate.
The Thai Highway Police can already afford to drive about in swanky Honda Accords, making a few of them incognito is no great stretch.
Even if some of these measures were cherry-picked for Thailand, it would be a start.
I'm under no illusion that it's going to happen anytime soon however as there seems to be no will to do so.
Edited by GlutinousMaximus

Road deaths and other road safety issues COST a country millions - if they get the 5 Es together they'll save a fortune.

"the laundry list of corrective measures that are so ineffectively enforced in your own country." - one of the most ill-informed comments so far...anyone who has driven in UK, Sweden, Holland or Australia even will know this is utter nonsense....where do you get your information from? or is it all made up?

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 1

Road deaths and other road safety issues COST a country millions - if they get the 5 Es together they'll save a fortune.

Just this once cumgramosalum I'm gonna have to agree with you!

Reducing RTAs makes sound economic sense as well as alleviating the tremendous burden of suffering they cause plus stressing of the family support networks common in LOS.

• Like 2

I agree, in a country that pride itself in saying " Mai pen rai " when behind the wheel in general they are as impatient as any people I have ever seen. At a red light just watch bikes squeezing in to the front like every inch is like life or death. Cars tailgating bikes, bus on cars, trucks on buses like there is not a second to lose using the vehicle like it is a weapon. The larger the vehicle the more abusive even when there is no where to go in front of them.

Not bashing them but what I have concluded through living here and being in a number of altercation is that they know no other way to drive. Majority have never been outside of the country the only thing they have seen is fast and furious and that is how they drive each day thinking it is the norm. Just say something to a person flying around just to get to the intersection to wait another 90 second plus for the light to change. You be in a fight each second of the day. They have no idea what they are doing, so sensitized, conditional to the way things are here it is their norm!

Last, I have enough credentials to afford my help although their driving rules and laws are similar to the west. Someone mentioned they are not a 3rd world country, regardless of them joining the Asean community the things they do or promise so they can are just smoke and mirrors like boosting about teaching English in their government schools so they can get in, what a crock of shit! Being in Asean does not automatically make you not a 3rd world country when the mentality of doing nothing is 3rd world.

The corruption and the benefits will never end which is the root causes of the problem and why it would never be corrected until it is rooted out. Last report over 200 Billion is lost to corruption what is a few thousand lives compared to just doing nothing. I had a certification from the States to drive and test commercial drivers, worked with the D.O.T. and got lots of training from seminars from the California Highway Patrol

We are given a chance to vent here on this subject but for start they need to translate the message and problem in Thai for the Thai people who are killing themselves. We vent not to bash Thais but for me because I truly believe I care more about Thai than the Thais themselves. If given the opportunity I would correct the problem only if I'm given complete power to remove any government officials who get in my way but of course if I was I would be dead in a day. There is just too much money and corruption for them to ever made real changes. If you read the story it is just excuses excuses while they move up year after year. And I have written the W.H.O. that they are part of the problem for giving millions each year for what? A few posters while year after year they move up in the rankings.

Songkran is here so braces yourself and check your rear view mirrors sure lots of news about road blocks when you get there the guys are sitting under the tents having a drink! It is a joke!

cumgramosalum

You are defending the indefensible. Talk about a classic case of not being able to see the woods for the trees. Get your blinkers off for god's sake.

i think this just about sums you up....What on earth do you think I'm defending?

The fact that you use that term just gopes to show how little you understand about either the topic or the argument - please if you are going to join the discussion, get up to speed - many people on this thread actiully do no something about road safety and Thailand - so your contributions are glaringly out of place.

If you feel later in a position to contribute, I would love to see it.

• Like 1

Drive in Malaysia for a week then cross over into Thailand within

a 100 mtrs of the border,without doubt you will see its the drivers

they just don't obey the rules of the road,the laws are not really

enforced,so really its anarchy on the roads,plus a lack of common

sense,which results in so many deaths,

regards Worgeordie