Thailand has highest household debt: Finance Minister

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – The country’s household debt soars to 80 per cent in seven years, a highest increase in the world, Finance Minister Sommai Phasee said.

The soaring debt is one of the major economic woes and the government has to rule out consumption-led stimulus measures, Sommai said.

Past populist policies have been seen as a quick fix for economic slowdown but this has also further put families into debt, he said.

Plagued by debt-ridden families, the government could not rely on consumption to resolve economic doldrums, he said. Public investment remains the only option to stimulate the economy under the circumstances, he added.

The government has projected slow economic recovery because it takes time to implement public investment projects, he said.

The country’s exports are expected to experience low growth due to the world’s weak demands.

The finance minister has conceded that Thai economy is in trouble and that economic revitalisation would not be speedy.

He said the government is pinning its hopes on speeding up public investment projects at national and local levels. Spending through investment and routine expenditures would inject money into the economy.

This would, in turn, help families to repay loans and to have more spending money for consumption.

The government expected the economic recovery to be a slow process taking more than three to six months.

In order to boost public spending, the Finance Ministry is mulling ways to increase the efficiency of tax collection in order to finance investment projects.

Presently, the country’s tax collection stands at 18 per cent of GDP, a lowest rate in the world.

In developed economies, tax collection is about 40 per cent of GDP.

Inefficient tax collection has thwarted the government’s options in using fiscal measures to remedy the economy.

• Like 1

No surprise at all here, every farmer and lay man knows that if the form a long procession

of hundreds of cars, block highways and sit in months on end rendering major roads useless,

they will get the government to hand out freebees and or moratorium on debts..

Such it it in this country that people do not know or care how to manage their financials,

or have the smallest fiscal responsibilities as far as their money concern, they spend way

more than what they earn, the average Thai person wouldn't have more than a 100 baht

in his/her wallet...

• Like 1

"He said the government is pinning its hopes on speeding up public investment projects at national and local levels. Spending through investment and routine expenditures would inject money into the economy."

or to put it another way, put large parts of the national infrastructure under Chinese control, as long as the "commission" is adequate.

Time for a dose of good-old-fashioned inflation, to reduce the real cost of repaying those debts, or perhaps a banking-crash ? whistling.gif

And farangs should start saving now, for those inevitable appeals for family-help, which will arrive from distant-relatives shortly ! wink.png

Repeat after me, chaps, "Mei Mee Satang, Mia Chob Shopping !" laugh.png

Or, for the educated/better-off, "That's very unfortunate, and I have the greatest respect & sympathy for your distressing situation, I will discuss whether I can help with my financial-adviser in the B.V.I., and get back to you sometime next year" coffee1.gif

I doubt inflation will help, Thailand is already pricing itself out of the market and it as an export driven economy. In my view the only only way will be to somehow gradually weaken the baht, in order to maintain foreign currency inflows and remain competitive, because if exports keep falling their currency wont just weaken, it will collapse.

Public spending wont work until tax collection rises but in a country as corrupt and inefficient as Thailand that will be a tall order. Thailand has few choices, they need to minimize negatives rather than find new positives, because they've bled everything they had totally dry.

Thaitanic is heading for the iceberg at full steam.

And everybody on the bridge are acting like headless chickens!!w00t.gif

And not forgetting a few hundred headless chickens in the PTP set up, amazing in 8 months how peoples memories die.

• Like 1

The ARMY needs a lot of budget. ......

Amazing post from a newbie ??? Target the army---I wonder why ?? another one joins the bashers.

Of course it is the army that created this mess---ha ha ha-----go and have a strong coffee.

I think you are making a little too much of the above post. The army does have a very large budget and he did not blame them for the crisis. I'll have a coffee if you've got the kettle on, though...

• Like 1

True story.

A young man in Bkk with a reasonable job 20k has been scrambling around for 3 months to get the money for a Toyata Yaris he ordered, needing around 50K deposit, He was well happy with the terms offered 9,500 Bht a month for 7 years.

4,000 bht for room rent, petrol and upkeep of the Yaris, his food for the month, and drink + plus pleasure. SAVINGS ???? NIL.

Not forgetting internet for facebook and, i phone.

• Like 2

The ARMY needs a lot of budget. ......

Amazing post from a newbie ??? Target the army---I wonder why ?? another one joins the bashers.

Of course it is the army that created this mess---ha ha ha-----go and have a strong coffee.

I think you are making a little too much of the above post. The army does have a very large budget and he did not blame them for the crisis. I'll have a coffee if you've got the kettle on, though...

Not really mate, everyone is aware of the budgets here in Thailand, Education one of the highest in the world Population wise---and so on.

He indirectly implied that it was a main reason or else why did he not speak about a million other budgets. It was the ARMY he was targeting was it not ??? no one elses fault ???

Edited by ginjag

Many use cash withdrawn on a credit card to pay interest on another credit card and so on. When they cannot get more credit cards, they borrow in the gray market to even higher interest rates than the 30-50% they pay on the credit card debts, depositing the ATM card with the loan shark as collateral. A financial director in an industrial company I just talked with says that the number of people caught in this process approaches 50% of low to medium income workers.

Sooner or later, something will break, and the Thai baht will probably take a serious downturn.