Getting around the 32 watt circular fluoro limitation for round ceiling lights

konisaan

These are the options I can think of. I'm looking for feedback as to which might be the better way to go. My chosen light fittings can't take the larger 40W tubes, so not an option.

1) LED. I don't know if this is an option because the LEDs discs designed to replace these tubes are 18 to 22w (from memory) and are no brighter than the 32w fluoro. Are there higher wattage LEDs available? The standard ones are already quite expensive (500+ B)

2) Double circular fluoro tubes around 55w. I don't even know if these are available in Thailand and if so; reasonably priced. Would they need a special ballast/starter?

3) Screw light fitting. This would involve chucking the ballast etc and installing 2 or 3 screw fittings that take fluoro or LED bulbs. I'm not sure if 2 fittings would give enough light boost (looking at max of 2x23=46w for fluoro bulbs). 3 would definitely be enough but guess it would be trial and error to see if 3 builbs could squeeze in.

The wattage of a light is the amount of energy it uses, not the amount of light it gives off.

When I get new circular 'tubes' (or straight ones) I check the light output is suitable for the area it's going into.

My current spare, Philips, is 32 watt and has a light output of 2375 lumens (74 lm/W)

Check what the package says, the cheaper a 'tube' is the less light it gives off (generally).

Sometimes it takes a bit of searching to find e.g. "Light output xxxx lumens"

When I replaced an old one with the new higher lumen output it was certainly brighter!

You may not need anything else.

• Like 2

Replacement LED 'tubes' won't do it - a21W LED outputs the same amount of light as 32W fluorescent (~1,800 lumens)

Just how bright do you want ti to be?

Your 3rd option is probably the best, as it would allow you to go all the way up to those monster 100W+ compact fluorescent bulbs, making 5000 lumens and more.

The wattage of a light is the amount of energy it uses, not the amount of light it gives off.

When I get new circular 'tubes' (or straight ones) I check the light output is suitable for the area it's going into.

My current spare, Philips, is 32 watt and has a light output of 2375 lumens (74 lm/W)

Check what the package says, the cheaper a 'tube' is the less light it gives off (generally).

Sometimes it takes a bit of searching to find e.g. "Light output xxxx lumens"

When I replaced an old one with the new higher lumen output it was certainly brighter!

You may not need anything else.

Yep, check the specs. Lumens is the only spec that relates to brightness.

Replacement LED 'tubes' won't do it - a21W LED outputs the same amount of light as 32W fluorescent (~1,800 lumens)

Your 3rd option is probably the best, as it would allow you to go all the way up to those monster 100W+ compact fluorescent bulbs, making 5000 lumens and more.

I know it's the lumens that count but watts are any easier reference for comparison.

The brightest compact (tube about the size of duck egg and slightly longer) fluoro bulb I've seen is 23w at Homepro. I've seen more powerful ones but they are the size of 2 tennis balls and upwards. Most circular ceiling light are not very deep so you are limited in what you can get in there.

I know it's the lumens that count but watts are any easier reference for comparison.

The brightest compact (tube about the size of duck egg and slightly longer) fluoro bulb I've seen is 23w at Homepro. I've seen more powerful ones but they are the size of 2 tennis balls and upwards. Most circular ceiling light are not very deep so you are limited in what you can get in there.

Right, the big "compact fluorescents" can approach the size of a large Papaya.

What size room are you lighting up, and how much extra illumination do you need? There's not much point recommending warehouse style bulbs if it's in a bedroom for example ;)

Have you considered just installing additional lights to achieve the goal?

You could add one of the smaller diameter circular tubes inside the existing one.

There won't be space for the ballasts mind so you'll need to arrange for them to sit above the fitting in the ceiling space.

That LED is 1600 lumens - it says so right on the box - which is at least 200 lumens less than a name-brand 32W fluorescent tube.

It might draw less power, but it's also not as bright, so not a solution for the OP?

That LED is 1600 lumens - it says so right on the box - which is at least 200 lumens less than a name-brand 32W fluorescent tube.

It might draw less power, but it's also not as bright, so not a solution for the OP?

Yes, in fact yesterday i discovered Philips makes a 2300 lumen 32 watt fluoro. Not as good as 2x 23w bulbs each with 1600 but the best I've seen for 32 w circular.

It might say that on the box but i have them in my hall and dining room and I can assure you that they are brighter than the flourescent tubes we previously had.

My wife wasn't happy with the flourescents which is why we changed but is more than happy with the LEDs so i can relax until she finds something else for me to fix.

• Like 1

But the flat LED light is almost all directed down - so suspect it would be brighter in real world.

I guess it depends on the fitting - but yes, even a good reflector still drops lumens by around 20%.

If the fitting is just white paint, the OP could be losing 25%+ of the total light output (50%+ reflective loss from 180° of tube).

I still think that the OP is looking for substantially more light, not just an increment, based on the words he's using though.

At my home in Buriram Province I installed several Panasonic Inverter ceiling florescent ceiling lights in 2008 and am very happy with those units. They are now discontinued. However for my wife's family house in a village they wanted to upgrade the Sylvania brand ceiling circular florescent 32 watt lights with LED retrofit kits at a low cost. The lowest price I found on the Eve Lighting 21 watt 1780 lumen daylight set was at a family owned hardware store in Buriram. This same Eve Lighting model number 527119 must be available at Global House or Thai Watsadu in provinces other than Buriram. The price at Homepro in Buriram for the exact same Eve Lighting was significantly higher than the family owned store. The village relatives are very happy with the bright daylight of the LED kit that was easy to install in the old fashioned circular florescent ceiling fixture and it was affordable for hard working rice farmers of modest means.

post-20604-0-98294400-1428039789_thumb.j