bazmlb

CRF250L vs KLX250S  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy for onroad/offroad trails

• Honda CRF250L
    • Kawasaki KLX250S
    • Other - post preference in thread with reason

This poll is closed to new votes

I wonder if she is sponsored by the manufacturer ? We might not get the bad and the ugly..just the good

Perhaps - her Youtube site has Honda links - but this does not mean it's not a great little bike. BMW part sponsored Long Way Around/Down and we still heard comments about excess weight off-road and dodgy rear shocks.

I'm impressed with Steph and her bike. Looks like she has fitted a bigger tank, screen and a headlight guard ..... and that's it.

If you can avoid too much motorway - then 250cc is enough. And the weight of most 'adventure bikes' must be hell off road - especially if you drop it.

I'm sure a KLX would be just as effective - so the OP should choose on looks/convenience of local dealer.

• Like 1

I wonder if she is sponsored by the manufacturer ? We might not get the bad and the ugly..just the good

Just had a look at her web blog and there is no mention of Honda sponsoring her (http://www.stephmoto-adventurebikeblog.com/ )...and before she left she was on Thumper Talk quite a bit and it was her and her dad doing the maintenance/prep work on the bike.

• Like 2

Sorry Seedy , im looking on the wrong thread !!! ( I wanted "most realiable bike thread") . If i had half a brain it would help . Can i blame "the weekend" facepalm.gifwai2.gif

No problem. I'm here to help if I can.

• Like 1

Depending on the money OP has to spend, older KLX 250 are available for around 80K.

The CRF hasn't been out that long, it's rare to find one below 90K.

I put 20,000 trouble-free km on my CRF250M within 1,5 years, mainly highway, and am very happy with the bike.

Depending on the money OP has to spend, older KLX 250 are available for around 80K.

The CRF hasn't been out that long, it's rare to find one below 90K.

I put 20,000 trouble-free km on my CRF250M within 1,5 years, mainly highway, and am very happy with the bike.

I have looked at a couple of KLX's that are nice and clean and in good condition for 65,000 asking

ttakata , thanks for posting such a great video . I noticed all the bikes were KLX,s. You may be right , the Honda CRF M ( moto ) may be fine around town , where there is a higher air-flow for the single radiator , and the excess weight and lack of any susspension adjustment may not be as crutial as it is on an off-road bike . baxmib , If there are clean KLX,s that have been looked after for just 65,000 Baht , thats a great way to get started and modifications ( there are plenty you can do ) can be done as and when required .

seedy . That "Lifan" caught my eye , so i paused the video at several points , and i think its also a KLX due to its up-side-down forks , whose owner has a strange sense of humour . I may be wrong .Can anybody give a positive ID to the bike .

Owned the crf250l for about two years, very happy with it.

The single radiator has never been an issue for me on all different types of terrain.

I went with Honda because of the price, both bikes are rock solid imo so just find the best deal.

• Like 1

Another satisfied CRF250L owner here. I'm actually enjoying it more now than when I first got it.

Question - what are the tire options available in Bangkok? Need to replace the IRC rear soon. Thanks for any advice

Sure , have you found the old tire suitable for your riding ?. If so then look at a similar pattern from Pirelli , Mitchelin , Dunlop etc . The IRC,s that Honda fit as OE seem to be disliked due to their low quality , but some say the aftermarket IRC,s are better .Price will be 2,500 max .

Sure , i havent used the tires you mention. You need to pick tires that you estimate are the most suitable for you riding style / speed , the terrain you expect to ride ( tarmac / dirt / stone / mud ) and the price / tire life you are happy with . 100 people will give about 40 different answers !! .Giving some more information will help other people to advise . The tires i use on my road legal enduros are 60 / 40 Pirelli MT 21 and the much more aggresive 90 / 10 Michelin AC 10. Neither are cheap , or last long .Also have a look at " VEE " tires , made in Thailand .

I commute daily within Bangkok. Was thinking of getting better off-road tires for a bit of adventure, but will probably stick with the IRC, really haven't had a problem with them and they're cheap.

• 1 year later...

I had a CRF for 2 years and absolutely loved that bike.  I didn't think it was that heavy but then it was the motard model.

Never dropped it and did a lot of mods to it. Number one was replacing the bog standard muffler to a FMF Q4.  Huge difference in weight and response.

Had about 25k on the clock and never had any engine/gearbox or other troubles. Sold it to a big American guy who was happy as hell with it.

Only down side is that it wasn't that quick on the road. I changed the front and rear sprockets which dropped the revs a bit....it use to scream a bit at around 115kmph.

Just wish they (Honda) had a similar style bike here with say a 450/500cc motor. That would be sweet. The 500X is getting there but not too fussed on pressed steel swing arm.

Edited by CMKiwi