Tabien Baan for Thai Children Born Overseas

My wife is Thai, I am Australian. Both our children were born outside Thailand. We have Thai birth certificates for both of them (issued by the Thai embassy in their countries of birth) and they have Thai passports (they are both dual nationals, as is my wife). We do not live in Thailand but visit frequently. My wife and children always enter Thailand using their Thai passports.

Question - we have not registered the children on the House Registration Book (Tabien Bann) in Thailand. Do we need to and if so why?

My understanding has always been that its not necessary unless we reside in Thailand. If and when we move to Thailand longer term we would do this. However, my wife now suggests that we do it on our next trip to Thailand (as friends in a similar position to us have done so).

My wife is still listed on the tabien baan for her parents address, so it should easily be done I'm just not sure on the necessity to do so right now. Are there any benefits, or possible future issues, if we do or don't do this now?

The primary reason to have them registered in a house book is to get the 13 digit ID number.

Having the 13 digit number will allow them to get ID cards when they are seven years old. It may also be needed to get their new passports when their current ones expire.

The big problem with getting it done is that there are many Amphoes that are not familiar with the process of getting the ID number.

• Like 1

It used to be that if you lived overseas and had no tabieen baan a Thai embassy overseas could still get a Thai passport issued off the strength of a Thai birth certificate. With the advent of biometric passports that may have changed as the passport system is hooked up to the tabieen baan registry.

Having said that best to ask the Thai embassy in Canberra what the real requirements are for your kids. It may be that not being registered in Thailand is just fine.

There are many embassies and consulates that will only issue the first passport for a child without them having the 13 digit ID number.
This is what the Sydney consulate says for under 20 applications. http://www.thaiconsulatesydney.org/english/e-passport
"Documents required for minors (under 20 years of age) applying for an E-Passport

• copy of Thai Birth Certificate or National ID Card;
  • copy of Thai House Registration of minor and parents;
  • copy of parent’s Thai National ID Card;
  • copy of parent’s Marriage Certificate;
  • copy of parent’s Passport (for non-Thai parent)"

The embassies is here in Thai. http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/info_epassport.pdf

MFA website info for passports applied for abroad, http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21482-e-Passport-Application-for-Thai-Nationals-Living-A.html

If either of the children are male, then maybe there could issues later about military service.

I wrote maybe because I don't know. Maybe you should check this point.

I'm sure the several expert Thaivisa contributors on this subject could give an expert comment.

@Nakrob,

According to the Thai Civil Registration Act even foreigners can be registered on a Tabian Ban.

Since I acquired my own (Yellow Book), I've found it extremely useful, no negatives, just positives.

Cuts through a whole heap of acquiring and producing other documents for certain administration processes.

Take your wife's advise and get them registered (including yourself) on your next visit.

Mario2008, on 02 Apr 2015 - 09:36, said:

Foreigners can be added, under conditions. One of them is that you live in Thailand and are not here as a tourist.

OP is not living in Thailand and does not have concrete plans to do so in the near future.

Define 'temporary residence' Mario.

According to our local Amphur anyone holding even a Tourist Visa has been given 'temporary residence' to enter and live in the Kingdom.

I've successfully taken some through the process of obtaining a Tabian Ban who were on Tourist and Non Imm O Visas that don't live in Thailand.

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons.

The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

Mario2008, on 02 Apr 2015 - 09:36, said:

Foreigners can be added, under conditions. One of them is that you live in Thailand and are not here as a tourist.

OP is not living in Thailand and does not have concrete plans to do so in the near future.

Define 'temporary residence' Mario.

According to our local Amphur anyone holding even a Tourist Visa has been given 'temporary residence' to enter and live in the Kingdom.

I've successfully taken some through the process of obtaining a Tabian Ban who were on Tourist and Non Imm O Visas that don't live in Thailand.

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons.

The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

You have apparently been dealing with a friendly Amphoe.

Most want a certificate of residence from immigration which many people cannot get unless they are on extensions of stay.

I have been on extensions for years but still have not been able to get a yellow book. Just gave up because of all the run around we got from the Amphoe.

I don't feel it is worth the effort.

Yes, the boss at our Amphur speaks good English, which is a huge advantage and seems to know his stuff.

Apart from the usual copies of passport etc, he says the only requirement is a Certificate of Residence, and a translation of your passport home page + 2 passport photo's.

The local Roi Et Police Station will issue Certificates of Residence, and I did the translations, using IM Translator (notarisation or legalisation not required).

Maybe I'm lucky, but I put it down to an Amphur well trained and conversant with the rules.

They won't issue them for Visa exempt stamps.

Thanyaburi Mac, on 02 Apr 2015 - 14:04, said:

Faz

Was it the YELLOW tambien ban you got, or the blue one?

I have the Yellow.

Mac

Yes Mac, the Yellow Book.

Only foreigners with 'permanent residency' status are allowed on the Blue Books, otherwise they're all Yellow.