Healthiest Thai bread?

Tokay

my best advice is to make your own like I do its an easy process and once made you will never ever buy bread again its funny today I have two whole wheat with wheat germ and Rolled oats proving as this is typed I will add some photos of my bread so you can see ok I do not use added yeast either I have a starter which is now in its 7th year of use and again so easy to make and once made just feed it once a week and it should last much like my own.

if you want to try then here is the basic starter ok and follow it all the way sorry your starter takes 8 days as did my own but here I am with a starter 7 years old and works every time.

a plastic pot with a lid (lid used after 8 days ) day one 1 cup of whole wheat flour 1/2(half ) soft wheat flour + wheat germ/wheat bran 1/2 cup mixed

1 teaspoon salt

add two full measured cups warmed water (105 degrees ok ) stir and cover with kitchen paper or a thin cloth put on a shelf.

days 2 to 7 inclusive

take one full cup of mix out (not needed ) add 1 cup of your mixed flours & 1 cup of warmed water stir and on the shelf

day no 8 its bread making day

375 grams of mixed flours 50 grams wheat germ 50 grams wheat bran 50 grams of ground rice flour 225 grams soft wheat flour mixed all flours together add 1& 1/2 salt , take 180 grams of the mix in your plastic pot ,300 mils of warmed water not above 105 degrees

ok now before you make the dough a job to do is add to you pot of mix 1 cup of flour 1 cup of warmed water stir well put on the lid tight and into the fridge .

large bowl add flour salt bran wheat germ rice flour and mix well add salt and mix well make well add firstly the mix then add the water stir and then knead with both hands till you form a dough use a board I use a marble slab dust with flour then knead the dough for at least 10 to 15 minutes put in a pre greased bowl cover with cling film then a cloth and here the fun put it outside in the wonderful sun it the best prover ever made for at least 2 hours after this time tip the dough which has doubled it size punch it down (removes gas) shape your dough to what you want it to bake like ? a batch loaf would be good or a tinned loaf I will add photos ok outside covered again for a good 1 hour ok pre heat the oven to 210 c center shelf where the bread will be baked once your ready pop it in the oven and give it 35 to 40 minutes take it out tap the bottom sound hollow its ok now golden rule "LET IT COOL COMPLTELY DO NOT CUT IT BEFORE ITS COOL OK "

I almost bite into my monitor....It looks so good. thumbsup.gif

Of course it can be also done in a breadbaking machine (less time, less dirt) or mix everything in the machine and let it make the dough finish and than bake it the normal way. Still saves times and washing.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Local breads are very fluffy and really only good for toast. Whole grains are only available in specialty shops. Tops has a good selection.

I started years back to bake my own. Best solution for surely good and healthy bread, if you don't know how to bake, would be a baking machine . Veras has a few. Good whole wheat flour is available at Max Value. There are also some good grains .

Pics attached is the flour from Max Value and a rye bread , what's left of it anyway.

That looks really good! Excellent idea too! How long does your homemade bread generally last (doesn't go bad) if you don't eat it all first.

I use the flour you show (can get it at Villa). I use a verasu breadmaker but my bread does not "rise" even if I use half plain flour

I cannot comment on the health values of Thai bread. But why not make your own, even without a bread making machine. Do it by hand as I have been doing for years. Very therapeutic and greatly satisfying to see, and end up with a crusty loaf that you made with your own two hands. I cut my loaves in half, putting half in the freezer until I require it. You do need an oven of course. My old oven is well past its 'best before date'. It still produces the goods even though I have to wedge the door shut with a length of bamboo. I come from an era when you didn't throw anything away and get a new one. You repaired it. Good luck.

There is no such thing as healthy bread.

It's all marketing.

Bread is wheat

Refined flour wheat is treated by your body as sugar and sieve though your gut linen to go floating in your blood and stop your immune system for 16 hours.

Whole wheat is still wheat ie fungus producing (leukemia promoter) and gluten.

It's all marketing.

Bread is wheat

Refined flour wheat is treated by your body as sugar and sieve though your gut linen to go floating in your blood and stop your immune system for 16 hours.

How about some nuts with your bread?

It's all marketing.

Bread is wheat

there is also rye bread, rice bread and several others. Rye bread can be made from whole rye just broken down to powder.

But I admit it is not very common, but delicious. Rye has several polysaccharides that can't be split in the body. They are pretty sticky on the finger when making the bread and still sticky when it leaves the body blink.png

It's all marketing.

Bread is wheat

there is also rye bread, rice bread and several others. Rye bread can be made from whole rye just broken down to powder.

But I admit it is not very common, but delicious. Rye has several polysaccharides that can't be split in the body. They are pretty sticky on the finger when making the bread and still sticky when it leaves the body blink.png

Corn, wheat, barley, rye, alcohol, peanuts are all fungus /leukemia promoters

You are left with rice bread which tastes like paper

On top of this farmer's breads or Thai bread all contain sugar and milk.

I lost 8 kg in less than a year and am much, much much more healthy in Thailand than I was in Farang country. I put it down largely to eating MUCH LESS bread. I love bread, have a breadmaker here & all the makings but the realization that my health is better without it makes me limit my bread intake to perhaps only 5% - 10% or less than i used to eat at home. I do make a loaf occasionally & I do buy the Tesco Lotus whole wheat bread which is OK. for toast in a pinch. S&P breads come highly recommended but personally, I find them very expensive & I have yet to find any I like all that much. We eat only the highest grade Jasmine rice on the farm & they mix in a bit of coloured rice to give it a bit of character & colour. I am sure rice is way better for my metabolism than (wheat) bread & I expect that would go for most farangs. Rye linseed, soy, spelt etc breads could be a different matter but I have not experimented with them. Have not been to a Dr in a year and a half here & back home I was always having some problems every couple of months to get seen to.

Edited by The Deerhunter

I lost 8 kg in less than a year and am much, much much more healthy in Thailand than I was in Farang country. I put it down largely to eating MUCH LESS bread.

I am French, like every French, I used to eat bread 3 times a day, but here in Thailand, I don't eat much anymore because it makes

me a little bit fat

I buy bread at Big C market when there is a discount on French cheese ( very expensive here ) ; the girl in Big C told me all the ingredients come from France ; I think their bread is ok, but not exactly the same than in France ( Carrefour in France makes an exceptionnal bread )

I have tried one time bread made by a bread machine , and sorry, I didn't like it : for me it's " pain de mie " ( sandwich bread in English ) : it's not the same that you find in French boulangeries

I lost 8 kg in less than a year and am much, much much more healthy in Thailand than I was in Farang country. I put it down largely to eating MUCH LESS bread. I love bread, have a breadmaker here & all the makings but the realization that my health is better without it makes me limit my bread intake to perhaps only 5% - 10% or less than i used to eat at home. I do make a loaf occasionally & I do buy the Tesco Lotus whole wheat bread which is OK. for toast in a pinch. S&P breads come highly recommended but personally, I find them very expensive & I have yet to find any I like all that much. We eat only the highest grade Jasmine rice on the farm & they mix in a bit of coloured rice to give it a bit of character & colour. I am sure rice is way better for my metabolism than (wheat) bread & I expect that would go for most farangs. Rye linseed, soy, spelt etc breads could be a different matter but I have not experimented with them. Have not been to a Dr in a year and a half here & back home I was always having some problems every couple of months to get seen to.

It may interest you to know that the very high rates of diabetes in Thailand is apparently caused by eating large amounts of rice. They say that rice turns into sugar much quicker that bread and potatoes. It is said to be true of all rice eating countries. I do eat rice and love it but a small amount. I eat 2 pieces of toast a day with my eggs for lunch, multi malt bread from BigC.

That said if you feel better on less bread then thats good. Although it may be Thailand rather than the bread hahahaha. I have read that many people have an undetectable allergy to bread that can cause obesity. Apparently modern grains are breed for high volume and disease resistance, not good health. Easy to believe. Investigate the Paleo diet if that interest you. It interests me but there is no way i am giving up my toast and boiled eggs ???

The Tesco Lotus "Wholewheat" is pretty bad. Not really objectionable, but only 20% wholewheat flour, with dried skimmed milk powder and other things to get the protein content up. 37B for 500g as well, which (when you work it out) is twice the price of a better loaf in the UK.

I wonder if a breakfast "damper" would be possible for mornings. You can make a kind of hot loaf in a pan on a campfire. A lightly oiled saucepan with a lid on an induction plate, with a towel over the top, might allow something similar. Wholemeal flour, water, baking powder, over-ripe banana, few peanuts - could be the way forward for the mornings.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is not such a thing like healthy bread. Bread is never healthy. It's like asking for a healthy cigarette...
If you want low sugar and high fiber don't eat bread. Eat fruit and vegetables instead.

Is there any real basis for that view? Wholemeal flour is full of vegetable protein, fibre, starchy carbohydrate.....

Fruit is often just a load of sugar.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"It may interest you to know that the very high rates of diabetes in Thailand is apparently caused by eating large amounts of rice..."

I think a ton of sugar and fried products of various kinds is a better explanation. The GI of a mixed gut of rice, veg, pulses, meat and dairy is very low, and it's what most people ate before they found they could have a nice small 350 kcal rice meal and then buy a quarter of a pound of dissolved sugar without stepping off the scooter. Let's face it: the Thais don't walk anywhere and they drink and eat sugar and oil at every available opportunity. Hard exercise sensitizes the cells to insulin, and the East ran on rice for centuries without any apparent problem.

Incidentally - Geographers and dietitians will tell you that low protein consumption is a major problem in countries which have rice as their staple carbohydrate. Oats and wheat have about 12-13g of protein per 100g. Rice has a little over half that. If you find yourself losing a lot of weight on rice compared to wheat and oats it might be that you are peeing out muscle.

Wasn't the question about how ,do get a good bread here? Why can' t all these idiots keep to the topic instead of giving health sugestions , Please .keep your thought to the initial questions

"To" rather than "do", I think. If the initial question included "good" then (presumably) what counts as "good" is relevant; or am I being an "idiot"?

I think that many o fthe replyes here are a waist of time because of all missreables farangs living overe here, no one don' t to have a clue. it is a waist post anoything here because nobody keep too the .original topic caused to much Singha Chang or Leo

I think that many o fthe replyes here are a waist of time because of all missreables farangs living overe here, no one don' t to have a clue. it is a waist post anoything here because nobody keep too the .original topic caused to much Singha Chang or Leo

Allow me - "I think that many of the replies here are a waste of time because of all of the miserable farangs over here who don't have a clue. It's a waste [of time] posting here because nobody keeps to the original topic, [which is] caused by too much Chang or Leo".

Fine: so don't post.

Not sure where you are based but that wholewheat flour is also sold in Best supermarket near the dolphin roundabout in Pattaya.

I used to live in Pattaya but moved up north to Chiang Mai a few years ago when the Russians invaded. Nothing against the Russians, just giving a reference of time.

It just so happens that only after 2 years in Chiang Mai, the Chinese invaded. blink.png It's still nice though. Just have to be careful when driving because they are hell on wheels.

I'll ask around up here and see if I can find the flour. Baking my own sounds like a good idea.

I got an English friend who's Thai wife makes some killer bread in the bread machine. I am inspired to ask her for the recipe. It was a dark bread, really dense and very flavorful, with lots of seeds and some nuts. Had a slight sour taste with a nice sweet finish. Course I'd rather just pay her to make it for me. I will post the recipe once it is divulged.

Edited by mrjonyoung

Local breads are very fluffy and really only good for toast. Whole grains are only available in specialty shops. Tops has a good selection.

I started years back to bake my own. Best solution for surely good and healthy bread, if you don't know how to bake, would be a baking machine . Veras has a few. Good whole wheat flour is available at Max Value. There are also some good grains .

Pics attached is the flour from Max Value and a rye bread , what's left of it anyway.

This bread is not cooked enough, could develop yeast growth in gut.

That looks really good! Excellent idea too! How long does your homemade bread generally last (doesn't go bad) if you don't eat it all first.

I use the flour you show (can get it at Villa). I use a verasu breadmaker but my bread does not "rise" even if I use half plain flour

First thing that comes to mind is the yeast. Maybe yours is old or off in a way. Or you don't use enough

Put some of your yest with a spoon of sugar and some water an little flower in a glass for a few hours and see if it bubbles up.

Second thought is Salt. Salt inhibits yeast growth somewhat. So never mix the salt with yeast.

You can also force rising a bit by adding small amount of sugar with the yeast.

On a practical not, my mother had the same issue, but only when programming her machine in advance, like to bake in the morning. I guess it had something to do with the temperature of her kitchen, but don't know for sure. Problem was solved by not present setting the machine.

I don't like the thai bread as well. So I bake my own.

As I come from Germany I miss very much the dark bread!

I buy my general bakery supplies here:

http://www.kccbakermart.com/

They have a lot but more for sweet bakery and "thai style". Anyway they have cheap baking moulds and a very good whole wheat flour.

Another store I can recommend:

http://www.choco-schmidt.com/

They cater more for bakeries for bread. Also they have the only available sourdough I could find in Bangkok Area.

They are selling 1kg bags flour and pre-mixes from a german company (IREKS)

You can find information and recipes here:

http://www.ireks-asiapacific.com/recipes1.htm

Someone mentioned using the rye flour to make bread, you need sourdough for this kind of flour.

Have fun baking your own bread!

Try

80% strong plain flour + 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Yeast doesn't eat whole wheat flour, so it won't rise.

Yeast eats sugar, so the added sugar will compensate for the 20% whole wheat it can't eat.