A good day at CM Immigration

connda

Awesome efficiency! Basically, of course, because you were prepared --- and you let your wife do the talking !!! smile.png Still, the processing time indicates that it might not have been too busy. A big hangup often reported in the past has been long delays for the "approvals" by superior officers i the "back office."

Waiting in that little hothouse can be difficult, unless you are a people watcher or bring a good book. On the other hand, despite what people like Uptheos always manage to cynically comment, the officers there earn their living and almost always with a happy face despite inadequate support from on high, the pressure of the crowd and some very difficult foreigners to deal with either because of language, specific problems, or attitude (the last often reflected, unfortunately, on TV Chiang Mai).

Certainly, there are some things which could be improved to make life easier, comfortable, and efficient for the local officers and those visiting the office just by tweaking local procedures (not changing matters that only Bangkok or new regulations or legislation, apparently, can approve!) It seems that the local office is doing just that, or getting better at it!

• Like 2

Awesome efficiency! Basically, of course, because you were prepared --- and you let your wife do the talking !!! smile.png Still, the processing time indicates that it might not have been too busy. A big hangup often reported in the past has been long delays for the "approvals" by superior officers i the "back office."

Waiting in that little hothouse can be difficult, unless you are a people watcher or bring a good book. On the other hand, despite what people like Uptheos always manage to cynically comment, the officers there earn their living and almost always with a happy face despite inadequate support from on high, the pressure of the crowd and some very difficult foreigners to deal with either because of language, specific problems, or attitude (the last often reflected, unfortunately, on TV Chiang Mai).

Certainly, there are some things which could be improved to make life easier, comfortable, and efficient for the local officers and those visiting the office just by tweaking local procedures (not changing matters that only Bangkok or new regulations or legislation, apparently, can approve!) It seems that the local office is doing just that, or getting better at it!

Talking about hot houses, they walled up the far wall by the 90 day reporting station and mounted an air conditioner on it. It was actually relatively comfortable inside today. And true, it was not packed to the brim and overflowing this morning. There were a moderate amount of folks there, and the atmosphere was not the usually hectic helter-skelter. Hope beyond hope that it's the same when I go back to get my visa extension stamp in May.

Talking about hot houses, they walled up the far wall by the 90 day reporting station and mounted an air conditioner on it. It was actually relatively comfortable inside today. And true, it was not packed to the brim and overflowing this morning. There were a moderate amount of folks there, and the atmosphere was not the usually hectic helter-skelter. Hope beyond hope that it's the same when I go back to get my visa extension stamp in May.

Probably because so many CM expats are out of town for the smoky season.

• Like 2

Might also be that many folks are finally discovering that one no longer must go to Immigration to file a 90 day report. (Funny, though, there are still a lot of people that look at you as if you are crazy when you mention that it can be done by mail.)

• Like 1

I recently had an almost identical experience as the OP, at Chiangmai. Similarly, I had pre-booked, was called in 45 mins early to I think that same very pleasant and helpful young woman (My wife informs me that she is in fact quite a senior officer). Strangely opposite to the OP, she wanted the pic of us outside the house, not the inside one. The only hiccup was that I had copies of only the front of the marriage cert. (i've never been asked for the back before and indeed did not even know there is something on the back!) Even with that, which would have caused a riot with the "dragon lady" I've always had before, was not a problem with this young woman. As we live 150km away, she allowed me to post the copies in. The only downside was the long wait, as per usual, for my receipt.

As a postscript, i later found that she had made a mistake with my "return date" - it was during Songkran. I had my wife telephone her (Yes! She had given us her name and telephone number!!). She said she would ring us back with a new date, probably before Songkran (My thought - 'and pigs will fly!"). Sure enough, I was wrong. She rang back within the day and told me to come in 3 days earlier. Heads up to an excellent level of service for all but the receipt waiting time. By the way, the young woman's name is Air - i hope her bosses read this and commend her for making a VERY satisfied customer.

Edited by Iamemjay
  • Like 1

I could not agree more with this weeks immigration chiangmai,I did 90 days renew retiree visa and re entry,and apart from the small wait outside it was almost a continual walk back and forth to the counter,i was out in under 1 hour 15 minutes.I was delighted,when i think back to 2 or 3 years ago,sign youe name in the book wait for the door to open get to the woman in the corner get a number and wait,no comparison thank god,well done cm Immigration.

May I ask, was this for a visa extension based on retirement or married to a Thai wife?

The reason I ask is, that I am on a retirement visa and never been asked for a photo of my wife and I at home or my home.

Taken from just the second line of the OP, I generally go in over-prepared for the annual extension based on marriage tango (cha cha cha). coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I was at CM Immigration yesterday afternoon to file a 90 day report for someone who was in hospital. His doctor wrote a very detailed report as to why he hadn't been able to file on the March 18 due date, on hospital letterhead with an official stamp. We'd been able to locate his passport just three days ago and he'd been able to sign forms the day before. All this was put down in the doctor's letter in detail. Still, I warned the doctor and patient there may be a fine for a late 90 day report and I came with money.

When I got to the office at 1:15 pm, the line down the center was out the back door. Well, it didn't look like much had changed since I was last there about six weeks ago. Sure enough, the 90 day queue number I received was about 25 places away from that on on the board and resigned myself for a long wait. It didn't help my mood that the little coffee shop had no staff and I couldn't get a bottle of cold water.

But, while I was pacing in front of the coffee shop, I noticed my number was up on the board. Wow that was fast. I pushed thru the throng in the center aisle. It seems they've removed some of the chairs in the waiting area and more people are standing around. I got up to the 90 day counter and found they'd already moved onto the next number. No problem. They took me next, looked thru the papers, looked over the doctor's letter, saw it was on hospital letter head, looked at her signature, glanced at me, didn't bother to read the very long narrative the doctor had written. Stamp-stamp-stamp, staple-staple-staple, new 90-day report in the passport. And that was that. No mention of a fine. Whew.

Then I decided to go to the toilet. That's when I noticed the wall. Huh? I went out the side door and around by the copy shop. No way to the toilets from there. Finally I figured out that you're suppose to get to the toilets thru a narrow opening between the building and the chain link fence by the front door, near that coffee shop that still didn't have a staff person despite looking as if it was open for business. I decided it was a good thing I hadn't been able to buy a bottle of water and just headed home.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

I found the hardest part of the experience was getting there. I had to get a stamp in my emergency passport replacing one that was stolen. Sat around for an hour or so but was perfectly happy with the whole procedure given the large numbers that attend. Saw no sign that people were being made to wait longer than needed.

Might also be that many folks are finally discovering that one no longer must go to Immigration to file a 90 day report. (Funny, though, there are still a lot of people that look at you as if you are crazy when you mention that it can be done by mail.)

Why have they not put up a sign saying "you can do 90 day reporting by mail" and have a photocopied sheet outlining what is required. Or why don't the officers offer that advice.

You would only know that you can do it by mail if (a) some told you or(B) you came on TV which probably represents less than 10% of the farang resident population

Then I decided to go to the toilet. That's when I noticed the wall. Huh? I went out the side door and around by the copy shop. No way to the toilets from there. Finally I figured out that you're suppose to get to the toilets thru a narrow opening between the building and the chain link fence by the front door, near that coffee shop that still didn't have a staff person despite looking as if it was open for business. I decided it was a good thing I hadn't been able to buy a bottle of water and just headed home.

best decision that u ever made, in not going to the bog house,and gallopped back homesmile.png

cos this is what u would have found

after slithering like a snake through that small gap leading to the bog houses,

the mens boghouse is out of commission, the pee wee urinal basin stunk like like a skunk

next to the mens boghouse is the ladys boghouse, working, but just, smelt as if a fluffing dead rat had carped in it

as i had chillies for lunch, had no choice but to use the ladies boghousesmile.png no toilet paper so i had few skidmarks to wash

it was one of the worst bogs i have ever had, but when u got to go , u got to gobiggrin.png

that was about three weeks ago, thats the zoos appalling toilet amentities for the aliens, do the staff use our toilet amentities???, not on your life

a lovely morning to allsmile.png

Fascinating reading...

And the re-entry permit?

Normally I would get my re-entry permit the middle of the week just after lunch but I decide to test the system. I went yesterday, Friday afternoon at about 2:20PM and with the office being closed Monday April 6th for holiday. I expected them to tell me "no more numbers" but I got one. It was 3 numbers from one displayed. Wow. I got my permit 25 minutes after I arrived. It would have been even faster but for some reason, they called the next number several times for someone who never showed and waiting about 10 minutes before calling the next number. The process is now more streamlined. The officer does all the required passport stamping while you are standing there. I sat down and was called about 5 minutes later to take a photo similar to immigration at the airport which is a new procedure , got my computer printed receipt instead of the normal hand written one.

I've been doing my retirement extension now for the past six years in Chiang Mai. Since moving the Myanmar to another location, and now doing a 90 day report in at any 7-11 store, the packed lines will dwindle even more. I've never had to wait very long for my extension. I only wished they opened up the coffee shop a little earlier.....like 06:00. Sure could use a good cup of coffee then.

• Like 1

In general,

if you are well prepaired,

you have all documents well prepaired,

your bahavier is like it have to be in your country if you go toa high officer,

it will work smooth !

but some people still thinking they go to their bar when they go to immigration,

than wonder when they got beer and no VISA !!

I've been doing my retirement extension now for the past six years in Chiang Mai. Since moving the Myanmar to another location, and now doing a 90 day report in at any 7-11 store, the packed lines will dwindle even more. I've never had to wait very long for my extension. I only wished they opened up the coffee shop a little earlier.....like 06:00. Sure could use a good cup of coffee then.

You do realize the 90 reporting at 7-11 bit was an April Fool's joke, right?

great !

did you ask in 7-11 to findit out ??

May I ask, was this for a visa extension based on retirement or married to a Thai wife?

The reason I ask is, that I am on a retirement visa and never been asked for a photo of my wife and I at home or my home.

Taken from just the second line of the OP, I generally go in over-prepared for the annual extension based on marriage tango (cha cha cha). coffee1.gif

You enabler you.passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zCdgc

It's really irritating that people ask others to do things for them when they can't even be bothered reading what is written themselves.

Read the first post and the info you seek is there in B&W!!

Yes you`re right. Silly old me.

• Like 1

OP post - I was then directed to take my money and paperwork to an attractive, tall young lady with a husky voice who recorded some info from the paperwork and took my picture.

You do realise the attractive, tall, young lady has a husky voice because...

• Like 1

best decision that u ever made, in not going to the bog house,and gallopped back homesmile.png

cos this is what u would have found

after slithering like a snake through that small gap leading to the bog houses,

the mens boghouse is out of commission, the pee wee urinal basin stunk like like a skunk

next to the mens boghouse is the ladys boghouse, working, but just, smelt as if a fluffing dead rat had carped in it

as i had chillies for lunch, had no choice but to use the ladies boghousesmile.png no toilet paper so i had few skidmarks to wash

it was one of the worst bogs i have ever had, but when u got to go , u got to gobiggrin.png

that was about three weeks ago, thats the zoos appalling toilet amentities for the aliens, do the staff use our toilet amentities???, not on your life

a lovely morning to allsmile.png

Couldn't your super agent go on your behalf, they seem to do everything else for you?

• Like 2

I did my 90 day report on Wed. took about 45 min. for my number and because I was over a week late had to pat the fine which is fine but the paper work that goes with it took over 2 hours. The guy apologized for taking so long I give him the mai pen rai no ok my fault I should have checked my passport a month earlier.

I went to Jomtien Immigration last Wed ( 01-04-15 ) to obtain my 8th Retirement Extention this time using the Income Verification Letter from the British Embassy.

I arrived at 9-10 am with all the req'd paper work duly signed, was greeted by a very polite Lady Officer,who completed my application by 9-25 am, & asked me to come back the next day (Thurs ) after 10 am.

All in all, a pleasant experience, also the Immigration Office on both days was less than half full, as opposed to being packed out for the last 6 months+

OP post - I was then directed to take my money and paperwork to an attractive, tall young lady with a husky voice who recorded some info from the paperwork and took my picture.

Dead right ...I'll go with the "tall" bit but pass on the rest.coffee1.gif

Dead right ...I'll go with the "tall" bit but pass on the rest.coffee1.gif

Well, she's efficient and patient and takes the time to explain stuff to the customers. That's really what counts isn't it? They're not running a dating service there.