A good day at CM Immigration

connda

I do Now, guess the jokes on me!

I've been doing my retirement extension now for the past six years in Chiang Mai. Since moving the Myanmar to another location, and now doing a 90 day report in at any 7-11 store, the packed lines will dwindle even more. I've never had to wait very long for my extension. I only wished they opened up the coffee shop a little earlier.....like 06:00. Sure could use a good cup of coffee then.

You do realize the 90 reporting at 7-11 bit was an April Fool's joke, right?

May I ask, was this for a visa extension based on retirement or married to a Thai wife?

The reason I ask is, that I am on a retirement visa and never been asked for a photo of my wife and I at home or my home.

Marriage extension.

May I ask, was this for a visa extension based on retirement or married to a Thai wife?

The reason I ask is, that I am on a retirement visa and never been asked for a photo of my wife and I at home or my home.

Marriage extension.

If anyone at Immigration asks for a photo of Hubby and me at home, I'm going to be totally creeped out.

I recently had an almost identical experience as the OP, at Chiangmai. Similarly, I had pre-booked, was called in 45 mins early to I think that same very pleasant and helpful young woman (My wife informs me that she is in fact quite a senior officer). Strangely opposite to the OP, she wanted the pic of us outside the house, not the inside one. The only hiccup was that I had copies of only the front of the marriage cert. (i've never been asked for the back before and indeed did not even know there is something on the back!) Even with that, which would have caused a riot with the "dragon lady" I've always had before, was not a problem with this young woman. As we live 150km away, she allowed me to post the copies in. The only downside was the long wait, as per usual, for my receipt.

As a postscript, i later found that she had made a mistake with my "return date" - it was during Songkran. I had my wife telephone her (Yes! She had given us her name and telephone number!!). She said she would ring us back with a new date, probably before Songkran (My thought - 'and pigs will fly!"). Sure enough, I was wrong. She rang back within the day and told me to come in 3 days earlier. Heads up to an excellent level of service for all but the receipt waiting time. By the way, the young woman's name is Air - i hope her bosses read this and commend her for making a VERY satisfied customer.

Short dark hair and probably in her twenties. Has a desk in the back office.

OP post - I was then directed to take my money and paperwork to an attractive, tall young lady with a husky voice who recorded some info from the paperwork and took my picture.

You do realise the attractive, tall, young lady has a husky voice because...

I'm aware that the attractive, tall, young lady has a much better job than hanging out on Kochasan Road between O-Dark-30 and sun-up, if that's what you mean lol.

I went to Jomtien Immigration last Wed ( 01-04-15 ) to obtain my 8th Retirement Extention this time using the Income Verification Letter from the British Embassy.

I arrived at 9-10 am with all the req'd paper work duly signed, was greeted by a very polite Lady Officer,who completed my application by 9-25 am, & asked me to come back the next day (Thurs ) after 10 am.

All in all, a pleasant experience, also the Immigration Office on both days was less than half full, as opposed to being packed out for the last 6 months+

Well good luck to you but this is the Chiang Mai forum and maybe a little too far for us to go.

Not too far if you want excellent service wink.png

I wasn't trying to hijack the Chiang Mai forum, but just saying that if you go with the right attitude,& correct paper work, & are clean shaven, well groomed & are polite & show the Immigration Officers respect at any of the Immigration Officers, then you shouldn't have any problems at all.

But I see all too often at the Jomtien office, people unshaven,with their 'chang" vests on & an ignorant attitude towards the Immigration Officers wondering why they get told to go away & come back properly dressed.

The Officers both Men & Ladies at the Jomtien Office are showing respect to you being always well dressed,with clean uniforms on, is it too much to ask to show them the same respect.wai.gif

I went to Jomtien Immigration last Wed ( 01-04-15 ) to obtain my 8th Retirement Extention this time using the Income Verification Letter from the British Embassy.

I arrived at 9-10 am with all the req'd paper work duly signed, was greeted by a very polite Lady Officer,who completed my application by 9-25 am, & asked me to come back the next day (Thurs ) after 10 am.

All in all, a pleasant experience, also the Immigration Office on both days was less than half full, as opposed to being packed out for the last 6 months+

Well good luck to you but this is the Chiang Mai forum and maybe a little too far for us to go.

I wasn't trying to hijack the Chiang Mai forum, but just saying that if you go with the right attitude,& correct paper work, & are clean shaven, well groomed & are polite & show the Immigration Officers respect at any of the Immigration Officers, then you shouldn't have any problems at all.

But I see all too often at the Jomtien office, people unshaven,with their 'chang" vests on & an ignorant attitude towards the Immigration Officers wondering why they get told to go away & come back properly dressed.

The Officers both Men & Ladies at the Jomtien Office are showing respect to you being always well dressed,with clean uniforms on, is it too much to ask to show them the same respect.wai.gif

I gotta agree with you on that. I always go to my extension interview clean shaven, showered, and dressed in a pair of slacks and a polo shirt -- and shoes Thai's respond to image, so it's just easier to look that part.

OP post - I was then directed to take my money and paperwork to an attractive, tall young lady with a husky voice who recorded some info from the paperwork and took my picture.

You do realise the attractive, tall, young lady has a husky voice because...

Dead right ...I'll go with the "tall" bit but pass on the rest.coffee1.gif

Well, she's efficient and patient and takes the time to explain stuff to the customers. That's really what counts isn't it? They're not running a dating service there.

Yes, absolutely, but I am still infatuated with one of the officers who was (Is still ?) doing marriage extensions! Absolutely desirable in all ways! Sigh....! wub.png

Edited by Mapguy

Sorry, but I've seen people show up at Chiang Mai Immigration in business suits, with brief cases, looking like they belong at a board meeting or something and they still have to stand in line at 5 am to get a queue number and sit on hard plastic chairs in a crowded hot waiting room for six hours before they're seen by an officer to process their extension. Then they get to come back after the lunch break for their re-entry permit.

I love to sit next to these guys for a nice chat, usually older Japanese or German fellows and it turns out they really do belong in a board meeting or something. They had absolutely no idea what they were getting into when they decided to handle their own immigration business. Most are retired and now heading a NGO or doing something else selfless. It always makes for an interesting day at CM Immigration.

Definitely NOT true in Chiang Mai.

Believe me, I would happily bypass Chiang Mai Immigration and get my visa extension in Jomtien if the powers that be would let me.

Edited by mesquite

But you had to make two trips to the Jomtien office to get your extension? How far from the office are you?

I guess you missed "I generally go in over-prepared for the annual extension based on marriage tango (cha cha cha)." in the OP.

@OP

New management and mainly new staff since the Junta.

I was there this week, online appointment called on time, didn't like my bank statement, wanted copies of EVERY Thai page in my passport.

Told me to get a new bank letter at airport plaza, cos they know the way immigration want it this year.

2hrs and 30 mins from start to finish.

Jeans and football shirt are good enough for them.

If they don't/do like you it don't matter what you wear.

Edited by MaeJoMTB