Criminal Record Report US how to obtain

Hello, I plan to submit an application for a NON IMMIGRANT O-A to the Royal Thai Consulate General in Los Angeles. I have a question about how to obtain a " Letter of Verification of no criminal record " and how to get it " notarized by notary organs of the applicants diplomatic or consular mission.

I currently reside in California and the information I am using for my application comes from the" Ministry of Foreign Affairs of The Kingdom of Thailand " website as the Royal Thai Consulate General in Los Angeles website has a broken link on the NON IMMIGRANT O-A page.

I am asking for specific details from someone who has recently gone through this process.

Thank You

When I was rounding up all my paperwork to move to Thailand to teach and get the visa, I went to my local police department in Florida and requested the letter. A few days later they gave me the letter. My understanding was I could then get that notarized in Bangkok at the US embassy or any place in the USA that notarizes things (Those UPS stores for example).

I sent in my fingerprints to the FBI in January, perhaps the 3rd week of the month. Still no response...

maybe they can't find me???!!! haha.

i was thinking of teaching in Korea for whatever reason, so I started the process. anyhow, who knows when i'll get it.......(in USA)

I went to my local Police Department and they prepared a letter for me within 5 days and cost $17 US. I Do not know if this level of report will be accepted by the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles. I believe that I can send this document up to the California Secretary of States office to have it authenticated by an State Apostille for about $8 US. That should take about 8 days.

Three types of reports are available to me First the local Police Department, Second the State of California Department of Justice and Thirdly the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The ease of obtaining documents and then getting them Authenticated varies in time frame, cost and difficulty with the FBI being the most time consuming.

The easiest way to obtain documents from the DOJ and FBI is to use a widely available fingerprint service here called LIVE SCAN, cost about $70 for the DOJ, FBI. You can go to a local shop or police depart an for $20 and the scan your fingerprints electronically and then send in a request to the agencies for you. That is $20 for the scan and $50 for the DOJ and FBI.

I am told the DOJ and FBI are backed up for months and so my question is does anyone know if the local police report will suffice?

Thank You, I will update this thread with current accurate information as I go forward with this project.

Don't make this any more difficult than LA already does by requiring the letter to be notarized.

Just go to your local police department or sheriff's office and ask them to do a local criminal records check. In most jurisdictions a clerk will go to their files and do a name check and when they find nothing they will then issue you a letter on official letterhead that simply states "no record found" or words to that effect. That is all that is required, you don't need a fingerprint check, you don't need a FBI criminal records check, just a local one

Once you get the letter, and in most cases it will be free, take the letter to a notary public and have them certify that this is a true copy (since they cannot verify that it is in fact from the local police or sheriff) but that is enough to satisfy LA Consulate

Or you can eliminate the notary requirement all together by sending your application and non notarized documents (financial proof, criminal records check, and medical certificate) to the Thai Embassy in Washington. Use Express Mail both ways and you will get your passport back almost as quickly as going through LA

I am not understanding what my local Notary Public can do for me. The Notary Public only verifies signatures on documents not the authenticity of any document.

Their stamp and seal just states " This Document was signed in my presence and I verified the Identity of the signator " Here in the State of California the local licensed Notary only attaches a separate sheet of paper to the original document and does not seal the document itself.

Wow, I thought a personal appearance was required of me. I will gladly send my un-notarized documents off to the the Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. Cheaper faster and a lot less time consuming.

Thank You

Just read their instructions and follow it to them to the letter

http://www.thaiembassydc.org/?page_id=286

They are especially picky when it comes to the number of copies you must submit

I am not understanding what my local Notary Public can do for me. The Notary Public only verifies signatures on documents not the authenticity of any document.

Their stamp and seal just states " This Document was signed in my presence and I verified the Identity of the signator " Here in the State of California the local licensed Notary only attaches a separate sheet of paper to the original document and does not seal the document itself.

I obtained my non-Imm O-A visa from the LA Consulate.

a. They will accept your local police department report.

b. For the notary, you can go to Postal Annex/Mailboxes Etc. and have them do a "certified to be a true copy" notarization....or, as I did, you can sign the bottom yourself and have the notary witness that you signed it. LA Consulate accepted it when I did the latter.

Edited by TheAppletons

• 3 weeks later...

Udate to this topic;

I wish to thank the members of this forum for their invaluable advice and quick response without whos' help this would not have been possible.

I recently received my one year multiple entry non immigrant O-A visa from the Royal Thai General Counsular Office in Los Angeles.

I submitted a local police report noterised by my local notary and also the local notary noterised my signature on my medical certificate.

I hand delivered the documents to the Consular Office and they were processed in one day, delivered back to me by US postal service. Simple and efficent.

I now have one more question for the experts. With this type of visa should I have an onward airline ticket out of Thailand or is that not required with this type of visa. I plan to stay for a number of months. Will a train ticket suffice or should I just by a disposable airline ticket to KL?

Thank You, BongoMan

Edited by BONGOMAN

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Udate to this topic;

I wish to thank the members of this forum for their invaluable advice and quick response without whos' help this would not have been possible.

I recently received my one year multiple entry non immigrant O-A visa from the Royal Thai General Counsular Office in Los Angeles.

I submitted a local police report noterised by my local notary and also the local notary noterised my signature on my medical certificate.

I hand delivered the documents to the Consular Office and they were processed in one day, delivered back to me by US postal service. Simple and efficent.

I now have one more question for the experts. With this type of visa should I have an onward airline ticket out of Thailand or is that not required with this type of visa. I plan to stay for a number of months. Will a train ticket suffice or should I just by a disposable airline ticket to KL?

Thank You, BongoMan

You do not need an onward ticket .

Udate to this topic;

Thank You, BongoMan

Yep, these guys are awesome, true enough. thumbsup.gif

Have a good trip and enjoy your stay.