Briton Murder Suspect Arrested On Border Run

george

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many people jumping to conclusions.

Interesting that the police caught two suspects in the UK as well. This guy may have missed out on the whole thing and came to Thailand for a simple holiday, which would explain his behaviour.

I guess we will find out as the case moves on...

:o The Guy went missing approximately the same time his family was slaughtered/clubbed to death ..His car was abandoned at Heathrow Airport ??? ..The length of time he was in the Thai Kingdom I think its fair to say even if he was just a tourist oblivious to the fate of his family back home .. Most people would of Phoned home at least once .. not to mention the Media Blitz going on .. I think most people can be excused for jumping to conlusions on this one ..Its up to a court of Law now .. Regardless of this guys ethnicity things do not bode well for him . I,m just summarizing here but i think what may of happened was that he Bolted to Thailand after the Murders expecting to get help from freinds within the Asian community .But once the Magnitude of his crime was apparent I think all help dried up for him ( the Asian community were probably as appalled as any other community).. He was better off just acting as a tourist until he got lucky with some help or until he got caught ..This way he can still Plead innocence back in the UK .. Maybe i,m just giving him to much credit maybe he,s just Dumb as a bag of nutz hence he got caught .IF he is Guilty i hope he gets the maximum Penalty. As crimes go we only have to look at the discription of what happened to his family to know someone needs to be held accountable .. :D Lets just hope this is the Guilty party

As with most things, Thailand is a joke when it comes to "checking" things...

As we know, the immigration blacklist was not updated for the last 3 years !

Can you imagine something like that ?

You add people to a list but no one cares about the execution of this since the list is outdated, people who should have been removed are still on the list and new people can still enter the kingdom...

I always said that the country is like some Mickey Mouse community because of the lack of things like good justice, good working immigration department, the way that tourists are treated (walking ATM machines) will not make the country more appealing as we all can see in the numbers of tourists visiting the country.

If nothing changes, the country will never come out of its 3rd world status, too bad for the people that are honest (I know, very, veryyyyyy few but ok...)

Sounds like you have never been to the 3rd world. If you had you would know the difference between it and Thailand. Best for you (and Thailand) would be if you returned to your 1st world, wherever that may be.

The arrogance of some farangs in this forum is really starting to piss me off. Remember, you are the foreigners here. They didn't ask you to come and they don't waste a tear drop if you leave.

They should put him in a room with 2 or 3 hungry African wild dog's... then he will understand what the ###### he have done. I dont care the race, white, black, yellow, or any color ppl can be same or worse than this animal here.

I hate to read this kinda if things during moring, make's me sick.

I wish him the worst of the world.

http://www.kidsplanet.org/factsheets/african_wild_dog.html <---in case some of you don't know about the african wild dog.

cheers

It makes you sick - so sick that you don't realize that he has not yet been proofen guilty. So just keep the dogs where they belong, and your comments with them.

They should put him in a room with 2 or 3 hungry African wild dog's... then he will understand what the ###### he have done. I dont care the race, white, black, yellow, or any color ppl can be same or worse than this animal here.

I hate to read this kinda if things during moring, make's me sick.

I wish him the worst of the world.

http://www.kidsplanet.org/factsheets/african_wild_dog.html <---in case some of you don't know about the african wild dog.

cheers

It makes you sick - so sick that you don't realize that he has not yet been proofen guilty. So just keep the dogs where they belong, and your comments with them.

Seconded and thirded !

The jury is not even in , let alone out , on this guy !

But pop corn seems to have popped more than his corn.

:o

You add people to a list but no one cares about the execution of this since the list is outdated, people who should have been removed are still on the list and new people can still enter the kingdom...

I always said that the country is like some Mickey Mouse community because of the lack of things like good justice, good working immigration department, the way that tourists are treated (walking ATM machines) will not make the country more appealing as we all can see in the numbers of tourists visiting the country.

If nothing changes, the country will never come out of its 3rd world status, too bad for the people that are honest (I know, very, veryyyyyy few but ok...)

Sounds like you have never been to the 3rd world. If you had you would know the difference between it and Thailand. Best for you (and Thailand) would be if you returned to your 1st world, wherever that may be.

The arrogance of some farangs in this forum is really starting to piss me off. Remember, you are the foreigners here. They didn't ask you to come and they don't waste a tear drop if you leave.

Yes, you are quite right - with one ambulance for every 165,000 people in Bangkok compared to 1:10,000 in the west and an average per capita income of 7,015 baht per month with 49% of the population working in agriculture Thailand is demonstrably not the third world.

I am sure your Thailand is not the third world with your air-con, computer, big car and high-rise apartment.

They did ask us to come, at least those of us doing jobs on the 'falang can-do' list, perhaps not pompous idiots like you who can't see the truth through the haze of beer Chang and bar-girls.

Does Thailand benefit by people tearing it apart at every possible moment? I doubt it. It can hardly be any better for all those people who refuse to see that the place has a long way to go and that it is the people at the bottom of the pile getting shafted.

Who made you protector of the Thai people? If you were, refusing to see what is right in front of you would hardly help them.

Edited by ianpants69

Suspect would have been far smarter to return to his native Pakistan, Bangladesh or India, gotten a new ID and started his life over.

Do we know that he was born in one of these countries or does the word "native" have some new meaning?
So now he'll spend at least the next 10 years at the British taxpayer's expense, currently around £400 a day. Sad what he did, particularly considering his comfortable life in the West compared with what his peers in the Indian subcontinent endure.

According to a recent BBC study, 8.5 million Brits live out of the UK and 350,000 leave annually. A survey estimated that 13% of the British population wishes to leave.

Odd how those who have themselves left continue to harbour the delusion that life there is so comfortable and desirable.

Having myself lived for a few years on the Indian subcontinent, I can assure you that life there (and in many other places where Indians and Pakistanis live around the world) is quite comfortable for many people, especially when compared to the slums in English urban areas.

The fact that you have already decided this man is guilty and that he is an economic peer of the most impoverished citizens of India says a great deal about you. I'm sure if he were a pale white Englishman, there would be all sorts of demands that he be considered innocent until proven guilty and pronouncements that there was some conspiracy on the part of the Thai authorities.

Odd too that the super British police allowed him to escape the UK and had no idea where he was until the Thai authorities did their job for them. It seems recently that quite a few western authorities have had to depend on Thai police to catch their criminals for them.

It seems he left Britain several weeks before the bodies were discovered and the crime reported. So British police may not be to blame for letting him flee the country. Odds are that he was born in England and didn't have much affinity to whichever South Asian country his forebears hailed from and may have never even been there. It doesn't sound like he had much of a plan for long term survival in that he didn't get a fake ID. Perhaps he just wanted to have a bit of a holiday and try out some Thai girls until the law caught up with him. Despite the 400 quid a week bill the British taxpayer will have to foot for his accomodation, I don't think he will be having a relaxing time there as a Muslim Subcontinental and a wife and kids murderer.

Thai Visa tough on crime and the causes of crime

There's a lot of the hang em and flog em brigade here.....just a week ago it was the JoBennet suspect who turns out to be not in the frame after DNA tests.

Why not wait and see before rushing into judgement, in the UK there will be due process and he will have his day in court.

How can you complain about the shortcomings of the Thai legal system when many of you would form a lynch mob at the drop of a hat.

Most murders in a domestic situation are sad occassions where someone loses control completely, good to just remember that the next time you get a little hot under the collar....

As for the real point of the thread, the Thai immigration and police worked well with Greater Manchester and caught up with the suspect, it probably wasn't so difficult as (in most domestic cases) the man is not a career criminal on the lam.

I'd have thought that if for whatever reasons you had bludgeoned your wife and children irrevocably turning your world upside down you would hardly be in the happiest or most balanced state of mind......just think about it for a minute.

From a Thai perspective murderers suffer a terrible karmic burden, there are hel_l realms in Buddhism and the prospects for the next life are pittiable, you might be reborn a pariah dog, veal calf or the like.

PS: there's another mind of a murderer piece in todays Observer (<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk" target="_blank"></a>)

as Martin Amis writes about the last days of Mohammed Atta (www.guardian.co.uk)

Edited by loveandlaughter

If he is guilty; it may be that his wife called him a '######' and if he's a muslim this might have meant that he had to kill her and the children to prevent his extended family and other muslims he knew from coming to the same conclusion.

To B honest...if I were the suspect of a murder, I wouldn't travel on my real ID (Fake ID cards or passports can B bought throughtout bkk).

I also wouln't chose the malay border for the crossing...the lao border seems to more promising.

Just a thought. :o

AND WHY WOULD THE LAO BOARDER BE DIFFERENT MMMM?

Murderers are not commonly known as the smartest criminals, if he were he would have switched id's or simply overstayed, the chance that he would have been caught was close to zero. This dumb ass was all over the news papers so he could have known that the police was tracking him through the immigration system. Ahh well maybe just a tourist, they do not have the stomach to buy a newspaper.

//mod edit: No personal insults please.

Yes, you are quite right - with one ambulance for every 165,000 people in Bangkok compared to 1:10,000 in the west and an average per capita income of 7,015 baht per month with 49% of the population working in agriculture Thailand is demonstrably not the third world.

I am sure your Thailand is not the third world with your air-con, computer, big car and high-rise apartment.

They did ask us to come, at least those of us doing jobs on the 'falang can-do' list, perhaps not pompous idiots like you who can't see the truth through the haze of beer Chang and bar-girls.

Does Thailand benefit by people tearing it apart at every possible moment? I doubt it. It can hardly be any better for all those people who refuse to see that the place has a long way to go and that it is the people at the bottom of the pile getting shafted.

Who made you protector of the Thai people? If you were, refusing to see what is right in front of you would hardly help them.

Very interesting. But all your assumptions regarding air-con, computer, big car and high-rise apartment are totally wrong. I started living in a 2,200 Baht room, went to school and to work by bus 3.50 Bath at the time. My first job (for a british company) paid 10,000 Baht (without work permit only for 3 months). Now if YOU can live with this in Thailand, then we can discuss it further, if not you better shut up.

I'm now working in a factory in the southern suburb of Bangkok since 10 years, started there with 20,000 Baht, today I make a bit more and drive a 6 year old normal pick-up car (no fancy 4wheel). I have 1,000 workers in front of me every day most of them not making much more than the legal minimum of 184 Baht a day. And yes, I can speak, read and write Thai, because otherwise I couldn't communicate with them.

If you still think that I'm not seeing the truth then I can't help you. I'm not a protector of Thai people, I just think they have the right to live their way and those who have to adapt are we. Thailand has a long way to go... Where do you want it to go? Are you sure they want to go that way too? Why are western countries manufacturing their goods in countries like Thailand? Do you think the 1st world could afford the merchandise made in Thailand if the salaries here were as they are in USA or Europe? Once they are at the developped stage where you want them to be they will have to tackle with the same problems western countries do now. No jobs, drugs, and an economy that falls apart as soon as people stop buying goods for two days.

One more thing: I don't drink beer.

Meanwhile.... back at the topic.... :D:o

The suspect has now been officially charged with the murder of his wife and three children:

Man accused of killing his family

_42039126_arsh_ap.jpg

Rahan Arshad was arrested at Heathrow Airport

A man has been charged with the murders of his wife and their three children after his four-week disappearance sparked an international manhunt.

Rahan Arshad, 36, was arrested by police on Friday at Heathrow Airport after flying in from Bangkok, Thailand.

The bodies of Uzma Rahan, her two sons and daughter were found at their home in Cheadle Hulme, Greater Manchester on 20 August.

Mr Arshad is due to appear before Stockport Magistrates' Court on Monday.

It is thought the bodies of 32-year-old Mrs Rahan, the couple's sons Adam, 11, and Abbas, eight, and daughter Henna, six, lay undiscovered in their house for up to four weeks.

Post-mortem examination results revealed they all died from head injuries.

Last month a 40-year-old man and a woman, 35, were arrested in connection with the killings. They were later released on police bail.

Greater Manchester Police said the Rahans had lived in Cheadle Hulme for about 18 months.

Mrs Rahan was from Pakistan and her husband is British-born.

- BBC

Very interesting. But all your assumptions regarding air-con, computer, big car and high-rise apartment are totally wrong. I started living in a 2,200 Baht room, went to school and to work by bus 3.50 Bath at the time. My first job (for a british company) paid 10,000 Baht (without work permit only for 3 months). Now if YOU can live with this in Thailand, then we can discuss it further, if not you better shut up.

I'm now working in a factory in the southern suburb of Bangkok since 10 years, started there with 20,000 Baht, today I make a bit more and drive a 6 year old normal pick-up car (no fancy 4wheel). I have 1,000 workers in front of me every day most of them not making much more than the legal minimum of 184 Baht a day. And yes, I can speak, read and write Thai, because otherwise I couldn't communicate with them.

If you still think that I'm not seeing the truth then I can't help you. I'm not a protector of Thai people, I just think they have the right to live their way and those who have to adapt are we. Thailand has a long way to go... Where do you want it to go? Are you sure they want to go that way too? Why are western countries manufacturing their goods in countries like Thailand? Do you think the 1st world could afford the merchandise made in Thailand if the salaries here were as they are in USA or Europe? Once they are at the developped stage where you want them to be they will have to tackle with the same problems western countries do now. No jobs, drugs, and an economy that falls apart as soon as people stop buying goods for two days.

One more thing: I don't drink beer.

Maybe a beer or two might help you relax :o

I think I would rather take my chances with the police and the courts that with the justice on TV!

By the way, all over the world, criminals are able to get through border crossings. There are all kinds of things from bureaucratic mistakes that mean it doesn't get entered, to computers being down to places that aren't using computers.

Imagine how long it would take if our names, when entered, made a whole thorough check. No one would get through. It might not be you, it might be someone with your name, or with the same birthdate etc. etc.

Interesting...

He managed to get out of thailand ok - malaysia accepted him and let him out again - thats 3 opportunities for identification and retention.

I guess he wasnt travelling on fake id either..

Exactly what I was thinking

Additionally, because guest house & hotel operators have to report the ID & passport number of all foreign guests (to Immigration) in the first 24 hours of their stay - why wasn't he picked up in Hua Hin or Phuket after UK Police put the alert out?

A case of "mai pen rai" until it had enough media attention on the man-hunt?

Followed by an arrest and back-slapping all round?

Cynical? Moi? Nah - just accurate observation.

Gaz

I never show my passport when staying at hotels in Thailand. You can get off

with a drivers license or nothing at all. So I could write whatever number I feel like in the passport number space.

Edited by cutter007

I never show my passport when staying at hotels in Thailand. You can get off

with a drivers license or nothing at all. So I could write whatever number I feel like in the passport number space.

I believe by law hotels are obliged to make copies of the passport of any foreigner staying with them. This is what I've been told for years now when staying in hotels around the kingdom - so I'm surprised by your post.

It seems to me that the actions across the countries has been quite efficient. Helped af course by the ineptitude of the wanted man (assuming he knew that he was wanted). The car was discovered at Heathrow and connected to the decompossing bodies that had just been found. This leads them to the plane tickets - date the car was parked is gathered from either the ticket or CCTV data. Destination Thailand. Thais then catch him on entry back into LoS.

It is likeley that he had already left the country (LoS) at the time of the notification, given the dates of the discoveries. So, for him to be caught so quickly is quite impressive. In the UK they rarely check passports more than a cursory glance - especially British ones, so he probably would have sailed across the border into the UK - even foreign passport are not scanned, so he would have to be on a hot list with an alert guard to notice.

It may have also been notified to the Malay government and he may have been tracked there. It may well have been a decision to not arrest him in Malasia if possible (i.e. he tried to leave Malasia via another country other than Thailand or looked like he was going to stay put there) and wait until he returned the LoS. There would be several reasons for this, both legal (deportation agreements etc) and political.

Note I am making no judgement into his guilt here - seems a very confusing case given what's in the public domain about it, must be more to it than meets the eye - merely about how impressive the man hunts seems to have been.

:D I,m sure most People have been frustrated waiting at Don Maung during passport control ..Thinking it is nothing but bureaucratic fascade . I know i have felt that way ..I never used to think much of it as thinking all that was happening was that the worthless paper work i.e the customs declaration and proposed Destination slip whilst in the Kingdom matched up with passport number ..That is until i did my 1st few day overstay being late back a couple days ..I remember thinking how much effort went into punching my passport number into the PC and how the airport official could check back on my Visa trips (makeing sure i hadn,t done it the Hooky way) ..As for booking into Hotels and Guesthouses i have only had one incident when no ID was needed and that was in Phuket all other times it has been passport photocopied .. I have managed to rent motorbikes out on one of those Biff RAC auto club international Licence .. I have also heard rumour that sometimes this can be used as ID for Guesthouse if the excuse is that your Passport is at Imigration .. but i suspect this excuse is only good for a few days if you are staying longer than that no doubt the passport would have to be provided ..I can,t remeber if Passports are Bar coded ?? I havent got mine to hand right now .. But if they arent i,m sure they will be in the future ..I think most of this is more about revenue getting than capturing Criminals and Terrorists although in this incident it does seem to have helped .. Just my thoughts on the subject .. :o

Man appears in British court charged with murdering wife, three children

Published: 1 hour ago

LONDON: A 36-year-old man appeared in court on Monday charged with murdering his wife and their three children.

Rahan Arshad, who was arrested in Thailand, faces charges of killing his wife Uzma Rahan, 32, and children Adam, 11, Abbas, 8, and Henne, 6. Post-mortems showed all four died of massive head injuries.

Magistrates in Stockport, northwest England, remanded Arshad in custody and he will appear in court again on Sept. 11. Arshad did not enter a plea.

After the brief hearing, Arshad's lawyer read a statement from his client asking the media "to respect the privacy of my family at these difficult times."

The bodies of the four victims were found in their house in Cheadle Hulme in the northwestern English city of Manchester on Aug. 20. Police said they had likely been dead for several weeks.

Police launched an international search for Arshad after his BMW car was found at London's Heathrow Airport. He was arrested Wednesday at the Padang Basar checkpoint on Thailand's border with Malaysia, and deported to Britain.

British authorities took custody of Arshad at Heathrow on Friday after arriving from Thailand.

- The Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john